248: A Master Craftsman

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Compared to Starcraft, SC2 is a masterpiece. But that's like saying that Michael Jordan is a better basketball player than some junior high football player.

I don't understand Starcrafts continued popularity. It's absolutely puzzling to me. It was a good game, especially for its time. I played it almost every day for a long, long time. My friends scratched "Big gay game" on the back of the disk because of how much it got played (I had to buy another copy, thanks assholes).

But, that sort of went away when WC3 came out... but WC3 is unrelated to why SC became crap quickly. It more has to do with how the game devolved from a "Oh, lets experiment and try lots of different strategies and compete with said strategies and have a lot of fun" to "WHO HAS THE BEST MICRO BECAUSE ALL STRATEGIES AND BUILD ORDERS ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL".

See, WC3 gave me the ability to actually use units that had interesting abilities. SC has like... three units with interesting abilities and most of them are high-tech flying units that you'll never get to play with because teching up to them is a waste as the enemy has either Muta-clumped, Tank rushed, or... sort of existed as the Protoss.

And this is sort of where I don't get why SC has continued to be popular. It's design is flawed primarily because the game puts extreme emphasis on micro instead of strategy and tactics. Anybody can make an RTS that requires intense micro. Just put the max number of units you can control at once to something small and introduce some 'mechanics' that each faction has that requires intense micro and you've got a 'great game'.

Luckily SC2 doesn't follow that formula and is more like WC3 but with more WC2 unit elements and then you put it in space and you have a game that's fun, but nothing to play for 12 years.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Credge said:
Methinks that's mainly because it hasn't been out long enough, give it enough time and due to its similarity to the original, Micro and Build orders will develop. That's because of the nature of the game, in that Starcraft is actually balanced, so certain build orders and strategies will come out on top, and it's like chess in that regard, certain openers and stuff are the norm in competitive chess (or so I am aware), then you play from there.

Starcrafts micro requires a MASSIVE amount of skill to play at high level, which is just the same as having good aim and stuff in an FPS, it's only because of the balance involved that you can play like that, RTS today all have massive imbalance, generally having a Overpowered side (Elves, Scrin, etc etc), which breaks the balance, meaning that if you play as that side you don't need micro at all because all your units just murder an entire army (murkwood archers I'm looking at you) I'm sure if you were to play WC3 at tourney level play there would be set build orders and strategies to use.

unreal713

Aug 18, 2009
elvor0 said:
Credge said:
Methinks that's mainly because it hasn't been out long enough, give it enough time and due to its similarity to the original, Micro and Build orders will develop. That's because of the nature of the game, in that Starcraft is actually balanced, so certain build orders and strategies will come out on top, and it's like chess in that regard, certain openers and stuff are the norm in competitive chess (or so I am aware), then you play from there.
Yep agree with this. I'm not really a RTS gamer myself, did play the first game and expansion, though mostly on single player.

But what I enjoyed more than playing it is watching the matches on TV (when I was living in Korea). I don't really watch sports on TV, but I can imagine it's the same kind of excitement I get from watching those matches.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
elvor0 said:
Tales of Golden Sun said:
"one of the most famous and influential games of all time"

Ha.
Haha.
HAHAHAHA.

No seriously this is the first time I have ever heard of this game. People shouldn't make claims that don't hold truth.

Im...trying to decide wether this guy is taking the piss or not...
John Funk said:
What?

If you're being serious, then that's nobody's fault but your own. It seriously boggles my mind that people haven't heard of StarCraft. That's like saying you haven't heard of Fallout, or Metal Gear Solid, or any other huge name in gaming.
I'm not taking the piss, I really have never heard of the game.

YurdleTheTurtle said:
Well, if you've never heard of Starcraft, you've been missing out on one of the biggest games since the last almost 12 years.

Also, just because you did not know about it, does not mean millions of other people also did not hear about it. The way you stated your claim that Funk was lying about Starcraft being popular/influential leads me to believe this is nothing more but a troll post. If you were speaking honestly, then that is sad ignorance.
I never said that Starcraft hasn't been popular.
I just thought: If Starcraft really was one of the most influential and famous games of all time, I surely would have heard of it. I mean, I know tons of famous games, even though I've never played them.
If the OP hadn't said 'the most' and 'of all times', I wouldn't have had a problem.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
elvor0 said:

Ha.
Haha.
HAHAHAHA.

No seriously this is the first time I have ever heard of this game. People shouldn't make claims that don't hold truth.

John Funk said:
What?

If you're being serious, then that's nobody's fault but your own. It seriously boggles my mind that people haven't heard of StarCraft. That's like saying you haven't heard of Fallout, or Metal Gear Solid, or any other huge name in gaming.

YurdleTheTurtle said:
Well, if you've never heard of Starcraft, you've been missing out on one of the biggest games since the last almost 12 years.

Also, just because you did not know about it, does not mean millions of other people also did not hear about it. The way you stated your claim that Funk was lying about Starcraft being popular/influential leads me to believe this is nothing more but a troll post. If you were speaking honestly, then that is sad ignorance.
I just thought: If Starcraft really was one of the most influential and famous games of all time, I surely would have heard of it. I mean, I know tons of famous games, even though I've never played them.
If the OP hadn't said 'the most' and 'of all times', I wouldn't have had a problem.
Except, it IS one of the most famous and influential games of all time. The fact that you haven't heard of it is absolutely *stunning*. It's referred to as "the national sport of Korea," for pete's sake. It defined the RTS genre for years.

Are you saying you've never heard the phrase "to Zerg"?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
elvor0 said:

Ha.
Haha.
HAHAHAHA.

John Funk said:
What?

YurdleTheTurtle said:

Well then maybe you should've done some research before post a response saying he was wrong and stupid, and laughing in his face. Both your posts just show a massive amount of ignorance.
It's hugely influential, and is the poster boy for RTS pretty much.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
John Funk said:
a lot of words
Except, it IS one of the most famous and influential games of all time. The fact that you haven't heard of it is absolutely *stunning*. It's referred to as "the national sport of Korea," for pete's sake. It defined the RTS genre for years.

Are you saying you've never heard the phrase "to Zerg"?
I do not know what a(?) Zerg is, no. The only RTS game I've ever played is Age of Empires II, and though I loved that game, I've never played any other RTSes. Never cared about Korea either. The only handhelds and consoles I've ever had are Gameboys, NDSes, N64s, Gamecubes and Wiis, and I mostly play jRPGs, so it's not all that strange for me not to know about Starcraft.

I'm sorry for laughing at the OP.

If it makes you feel better: I've never played anything Valve of Bungie either :)

HotFuzz

Apr 1, 2010
Loved this article, really good stuff, i really would like to know what was the other races they were considering. Maybe they will release another races in one of the other SC2 games (there releasing it in 3 installments) well i hope there gonna ad something to the game with the other two. I didnt like the idea of having to be logged in battle.net all the time i dont see the point.

Cmon blizzard no LAN playing online is great fun meetin new people and playin against freinds but when having a lAN party with freinds and they see your face as you destroy their base...priceless.