Ono: There's no Mercy at Capcom

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Ono: There's no Mercy at Capcom

"Capcom was very good at squeezing people to the last drop of their blood to get work done."

At least, according to Street Fighter IV producer, Yoshinori Ono.

Back in 2007, it seemed like Street Fighter was down and out. The series hadn't seen a new installment since the excellent Street Fighter: New Generation, which despite being arguably the best game in the series' history, was undone by a shrinking arcade market and a poor console port. Yoshinori Ono had worked on Street Fighter III, and during the years in which the series lay dormant, managed to work his way up to the role of producer. That's when he started pitching ideas for Street Fighter IV - the game would that would push the fighting genre back into the limelight.

"I was working on Onimusha 4 and during that time I repeatedly submitted my proposal for a new Street Fighter," he told Eurogamer. "The company kept telling me: 'It's a dead franchise. It doesn't make any money. We have series that make money like Resident Evil and Onimusha. Why bother with a dead franchise?'"

Ono eventually managed to acquire a small budget to create a prototype, largely thanks to journalists and fans who "started making a lot of noise and pressuring Capcom," this apparently being one of the rare occasions on which Capcom decided to listen to fans.

The work took its toll on Ono, however. The capering funnyman was rushed to hospital back in March. Ono puts his collapse down to the tight work schedule Capcom had him on. When the interviewer suggested Capcom had made him take a break, he responded: "Whoever told you that is lying. The situation is the complete opposite. Nobody told me to take a rest. When I returned to work, Capcom didn't even acknowledge that I had been in hospital."

"There was no change in my schedule," he continued. "I was at home for an entire week before the doctors allowed me to return to work. When I returned to my desk there was a ticket to Rome waiting for me. There's no mercy. Everyone in the company says: 'Ono-san we've been so worried about you.' Then they hand me a timetable and it's completely filled with things to do."

While he knows how to craft a solid fighter, Ono also serves as a kind of mascot for Capcom. He's a funny, likable character working for a company that really needs as much good PR as it can get - a role Ono seems fairly comfortable in.

"Thankfully there's no pressure," he said. "I naturally like interacting with people, talking, laughing, I enjoy Twitter. People always write to me saying 'Capcom sucks' or 'Ono sucks' and so on. But there's a positive in that criticism because it means that people care and are interested in what I am doing. And I do listen to the community and its suggestions. It's not like they are going to stab me, right? As long as nobody stabs me I am happy to receive criticism."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-11-the-rise-and-collapse-of-yoshinori-ono]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
In an unrelated story, Yoshinori Ono was stabbed today by a 40 year old Vancouver man quote: "For the Luls"

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Having only a passing familiarity with Capcom's fighting games (and, honestly, having never heard of Ono before), this transition confused me:
Grey Carter said:
Ono eventually managed to acquire a small budget to create a prototype, largely thanks to journalists and fans who "started making a lot of noise and pressuring Capcom," this apparently being one of the rare occasions on which Capcom decided to listen to fans.

The work took its toll on Ono, however. The capering funnyman was rushed to hospital back in March.
I thought he was still working on Street Fighter IV. Instead it looks like he was given a senior position developing and promoting all of Capcom's fighting games. Great summary otherwise, I'm probably just slow.

Unfortunately, as long as there's a million-and-one aspiring game designers and developers, this kind of treatment will continue from many game development studios as long as they're large and rich enough to get away with it. Turnover and burnout are simply not huge deals when you have hundreds of people constantly vying for positions at your company. Managers and shareholders thus view employees as less valuable and more expendable. I personally don't think that's a smart way to run any company, but long-term thinking is not many business "experts'" strong suit.

Grey Carter said:
"As long as nobody stabs me I am happy to receive criticism."
Quite possibly the best thing I have read all week.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
That's kind of an unfortunate turn of phrase since NitroPlus's composer was just stabbed to death this week.

Unless he was actively reffing that, in which case that's as ballsy as I'd expect from Capcom's fighting division.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Sounds like the normal workplace in Japan. They work you till you break down, and when you get back from having broken down they dont let up in the slightest.

DVS BSTrD said:
Seriously though, why does an industry based on people having fun seem to go out of it's way to make employees so miserable?
Possibly due to a misguided obession of the concept of the "deadline". Fail to meet the deadline, get an appointment the modern day equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition.

'Tis brutal, but it works.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
That...seems like a fairly specific thing to say about things he is okay with.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
ultrachicken said:
I can't remember the last piece of news from Capcom that I liked. Or the last game.
Dragon's Dogma for the latter. As to the former... well Dragon's Dogma caught me by surprise, so I guess I just don't pay attention to news coming from Capcom. Well other than when they cost Nintendo a 3DS purchase from me when they cancelled Megaman Legends 3.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
"Capcom is evil and fucking sucks, but I like my job." There, I just summed up he entire article.

Can I have some real news now Escapist?
You should run a twitter or something where you sum up long news stories to just the essentials.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
On the one hand, Dragon's Dogma is amazing, and I want to support it so I can get more.

On the other, it's getting hard to ignore how jerky Capcom is.

WHAT DO I DO?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
"Capcom is evil and fucking sucks, but I like my job." There, I just summed up he entire article.

Can I have some real news now Escapist?
A bunch of rich white guys didn't want to pay taxes, so they riled up the poor and uneducated so they could start a war of secession. There, I just summed up the birth of my country.

Can I have some real social issues now, America?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Nice to see Boby Lee has found steady work since MAD tv went off the air.

Seriously though, why does an industry based on people having fun seem to go out of it's way to make employees so miserable?
It's a balancing act. There can only be so much happiness in the world. In order to entertain us, they need to make people miserable.

This used to be outsourced to Chinese factories, but recent social awareness has made it simpler and easier to just use their own production staff.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I was on this guy's side until I heard he was involved with Onimusha 4. Now I'm of the school of thought that he should be beaten with a wiffle bat. But since he's such a gosh darned nice guy I'll only beat him a little, then let him get back to working for Capcom. Then again, I can easily imagine that being beaten by a muscled Englishman with a four foot length of wood might be preferable.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
I speak for all of us when I say: "Ono? As in, John's wife? Ohhhhhh... a worker for Capcom. Okay.