Fatal Frame 2 Scares the Bejeezus Out of Japanese Girls

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Fatal Frame 2 Scares the Bejeezus Out of Japanese Girls

Watch this teaser, see no gameplay - but that's the point.

Someone over at Nintendo has had an idea so cunning, you could put a tail on it, and call it a weasel [http://cunningplan.com/links.html]. The remake of Fatal Frame 2: Deep Crimson Butterfly is due out for the Wii any day now - still no word on a North American date, sorry, you'll just have to envy the Europeans and Japanese a little while longer - and, rather than demonstrate gameplay, they decided to show two people playing the game instead. In the video, the two unfortunates go from scared, to OMG, to 'please call the authorities, my mind has broken,' in about six minutes. Fatal Frame, aka Project Zero, gets the job done with hardly any gameplay screen-time; instead, it's all about the screaming.

Fatal Frame, for those unfamiliar with the series, is a horror game where the protagonist faces off against the undead armed not with a shotgun, but with a camera. This Camera Obscura, a parapsychological McGuffin, is the only thing that can photograph ghosts, and it's also the only thing standing between Mio Amakura, the main protagonist in Deep Crimson Butterfly, and certain doom. Mio spends much of the game looking for her sister, so it's probably no surprise that, in the video, two girls of about the same age as the game's characters are playing Fatal Frame.

You know what? That actually is a cunning plan. One of the greatest ghost story writers of all time, M.R. James [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_james], once said that, to make a good scare, you have to "Put the reader in the position of saying to himself 'If I'm not careful, something of this kind may happen to me!'" Exactly that thought is flashing in those girls' eyes, every time they look at the game - or, in the case of Girl Without Controller, every time she hides her face in her hands. Plus, if we, the audience, had seen game play, we'd have probably judged the play itself, particularly since it's a remake of a 2003 title; but now we see the effect it has on people instead, and can get an idea of what it might do to us, when we play it.

There are no subtitles in the video, and it's all in Japanese, but that doesn't matter. You'll still get the idea.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/fatal-frame/]

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
At least it actually makes sense to show it. Seems a lot like the stupid Dead Space ad except there's a reason for the shots to be of the people playing the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't know what's creepier, the game itself, or me enjoying watching two scared Japanese girls?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I'm sorry to say but most girls get scared of even the most mondaine things. Yea, I know it's a sex type but it's often the truth.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I'd have thought Japanese girls were culturally desensitized to creepiness.
Casual Shinji said:
I don't know what's creepier, the game itself, or me enjoying watching two scared Japanese girls?
<spoiler= This is for you> http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14492/8311.derpy_5F00_is_5F00_excited_5F00_by_5F00_tranquilmind_2D00_d4nosqu.gif
Hey now, I'm not that bad... yet.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
Have to admit that I laughed, now if I ever play that game that is all that I'm going to remember.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
That game is actually genuinely creepy. It was no amnesia, but it was close. The first true horror game I ever played.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That was so adorable. The satisfaction on their faces at the end made me feel better about the whole being scared to death bit.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
The girls in this video, eh... how to put it lightly?... are not the brightest... I've played this game on the PS2 and I will admit it's creepy as hell, but I was 10 years old and I wasn't nearly as freaked out as this two girls. Amnesia is far more engaging...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
2003!??, damn, I can't belive it's been that long.

I burrowed my cousin's PS2 after I (stupidly) sold mine just to play this game from beginning to end, heck, I forced invited him to stay in my home for a few days just so that he could bring his PS2 with the game and had the chance to finish it.

After Amnesia (seriously, nothing can ever top Amnesia... except, maybe, A Machine For Pigs...), this is the scariest game I've ever played in my life... yet.

I'm crossing my fingers that this gets a North American release and shit myself again.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I'd like this trailer but only if it was coming out on PS3 and Xbox....WHY IS IT NOT COMING OUT FOR XBOX AND PS3?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Fatal Frame 2 = Silent Hill 2 in terms of amazing Survival/Horror.

I REALLY wish they'd do some kind of HD Collection for the PS3 containing FF1/2/3...and maybe 4.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I haven't seen or played any of these games, but this trailer tells me nothing about the game or how creepy it is. I see them cringing and tensed while walking down a dark hallway and then they cut away when something "scary" happens. How do I know they aren't just freaking out at mundane things like red herring jump scares or something? It does remind me of the Dead Space ad, though. I just kinda wish the game would show me WHY it's scarey rather than just showing me two scared people that I have no info about.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
So odds on them being actors? I mean they've got to pay them to do this, prep them, show them the game with the assumption that enough of the game is done on the Wii that they can actually pay it, stick a camera in their face, make sure they're picking up sound okay (although hopefully not to man-with-boom levels) and then... hope that they scream in an amusing way?

I wouldn't bring it up but everyone so far has been surprisingly uncynical about this? Even talking about gender wars and stuff

At the very least they'd know how it's expected of them to react. Also the Wii controllers didn't suit a horror vibe :D

EDIT: Look at it again with a cynical mind, it's hard to think that isn't acting, especially since at the very least they've been in the unusual situation of being taken to a house/ been put in a house with a game a Wii mote, set-up etc. It'd be nice to think it's not and that they've treated this with integrity... but I don't know, this is marketing, it's hard to imagine anyone leaving it up to chance

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
*pfft*

that's nothing new.

Girls look at me like that all the time..

Oh wait, what are we talking about?