Taking The Shepard's Path

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
What is this I don't even...?

Is this about you seeing analogies between ME3 and a particular facet of a religion? Granted, once they had Shepard die and then resurrect, there was hardly anything that could more bluntly put forward a religious parallel, but you are reading into this way too much, since what you say for ME3 could be said for many, MANY other games out there.

Also, I might bw a weirdo, but the fact that you felt "grateful" after finishing a game creeps me out a little.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Interesting view. I guess you'll find mostly what you bring yourself in this game...

Welcome to the Escapist, by the way!

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
This is a very strange article. On the one hand, my Christian faith led me to really enjoying the theological parallels in playing a video game. I can see how the satisfaction of completing such an emotionally taxing story could be similar to a spiritual experience, but in the end, I would say that nothing earthly could possibly compare to a true spiritual experience such as the end of Lent. The two experiences are made up of completely different sources of emotion and so I don't see how the two can be compared the way you are suggested. Maybe I just didn't understand fully or something lol.

On the other hand, I can't forgive you for killing Mordin and letting Tali die. Seriously dude, I played a straight Renegade game as well, and the only two Paragon choices I made in all three games was keeping the data and not killing Mordin. And how hard is it to keep Tali alive? I have played through ME3 three times with three separate Shepards making different choices and never once failed to unite the Geth and Quarians. But I know many people who failed to bring peace between them. I don't understand how it's easy for some, but difficult for others. Bah, my nerdrage is overwhelming me!

Also, *Obligatory, generic comment about the suckiness of the ending and something something about red, blue, and green.*

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
An excellent article. The similarities are very striking. Personally, I do not practice lent but I do fast on occasion so I understood the references.

Thank you for this article.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Wait, you wiped out the Quarian fleet to show the Geths mercy, but killed them all just a few hours later when you were done using them?

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
mdqp said:
What is this I don't even...?

Is this about you seeing analogies between ME3 and a particular facet of a religion? Granted, once they had Shepard die and then resurrect, there was hardly anything that could more bluntly put forward a religious parallel, but you are reading into this way too much, since what you say for ME3 could be said for many, MANY other games out there.
Well, the author isn't saying that Mass Effect 3's story is factually about Lent or religion or whatever else you want to say. He just took that experience and said "Hey, this is a lot like what I'm doing right now." It's his own interpretation, so he can read into it all he likes.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
This is actually a different point of view I had not heard before. Very interesting. I can definitely see the similarities.

Still...I can't believe anyone chooses to be full Renegade in ME3. Shepard isn't a badass anymore, he/she is just a jerk.

willbailes

Jan 30, 2011
Wha? Why would such a religious person do a full renegade? I'm an atheist and I can't bring myself to do it. Even at the expense of friends and their races, you would just blindly follow whatever text was in red- oh...

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
You Killed the Quarians? Why would you do that. Besides the Geth will be rebuilt, Admiral Xen seems to like the idea of controlling them a little too much to let them be wiped out. But I enjoyed the religious parallels in ME2 and 3(More so 2)

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
I Have No Idea said:
Well, the author isn't saying that Mass Effect 3's story is factually about Lent or religion or whatever else you want to say. He just took that experience and said "Hey, this is a lot like what I'm doing right now." It's his own interpretation, so he can read into it all he likes.
It still remains that the things he picks from the game to make a parallel, aren't that peculiar to begin with. It strikes me as odd, because any game could fit the bill, at least that's what I gather from this:

"If we compare the struggle against the Reapers with the struggle of Lenten perseverance, then we see how Lent runs a similar course. Both efforts require sacrifice; for myself, the comfort of my day-to-day earthly living, and for Shepard, the ability to control every character and attitude he comes across on the path to victory. Although not occupying the same dramatic scales, both Lent and Mass Effect 3's plot leave their participants in similar states of emotional stress, yet both lead to immensely satisfying conclusions. These are, respectively, the 40-day Paschal feast, and the Catalyst's final choice, which is Shepard's opportunity to resolve Reaper conflict in a way that shapes the future of the universe."

P.s. Captcha: agree to disagree... Well, now that's uncanny... Especially since the author found "immensely satisfying" the conclusion of ME3, which would surely lead to that, if I ever discussed about the ending with him.

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
I'm not religious, however, this article did invoke the same feelings I myself had about my ME experience. For example, I found my normally paragon Shepard doing things that I'd never dreamed of him doing in the previous games, all because I knew that I had to put the galaxy first. All in all, this was a very well-written article about one person's personal experience with the game. It shows that games (and films as well,) can also move a person the way a book can. Bravo.

On a side note, I love how most of these and the facebook comments are jokes about the damn ending. Could we stop talking about it, maybe for just a second? I understand we felt cheated, but the series is much more than the third ending. Maybe instead of just focusing internet rage at it, perhaps we could try stepping back and looking at the series as a whole? Or, and stay with me on this, we could just get over it.

Firebert

Jan 27, 2009
It would be nice if the ending didn't pretty much invalidate the rest of the series, though.

Mar 9, 2012
I am reminded of the commentary tracks on the Matrix sequels, the ones where they in one invited a couple of philosophers that loved the films, and the other with a couple of film critics that hated them. Once you listen to them, you realize that the reason why the philosophers love the film is because it talks about stuff they work with, and they are so much in awe about it (OMG, it's speaking OUR language!!!), that they completely ignore how it is otherwise an abysmal mess as a piece of storytelling. I am getting the exact same vibes from this article.

Iklwa said:
I understand we felt cheated, but the series is much more than the third ending. Maybe instead of just focusing internet rage at it, perhaps we could try stepping back and looking at the series as a whole?
The problem, you see, this is that the terribleness of ending is proportional to the intimacy of your knowledge of the series.

You first truly understand how utterly broken the storytelling is, once you realize how much the ending clashes against almost every established theme throughout the series.

survivor686

Jan 15, 2012
Well that was interesting read. While I respect his opinion I must heartily disagree with them.

While the writers may have attempted some pseudo-religious imagery (aka: the godchild), the fact remains that its very poorly executed. Its riddled with so many plot holes and clashes with good story-telling logic. There are better post than me which explain the awfulness behind.

However if you want to throw in semi-religious imagery, allow me to offer a better alternative:

Starchild is similar to the "last temptation of Christ". An easy way out to a difficult problem, a temptation of ultimate power and a test of your convictions. Do you Commander Shepard stay true to your promises and morals (ie: Remove the scourge of the Reapers from the Galaxy and free civilization from their manipulations) or do you take the "easy" way out, a band-aid solution to a greater problem (ie: Synthesis) or do you succumb to the lust for power, the ability to rule over your fellow beings (ie: Control). The choice is yours

Frame it that ideology and then I can excuse a semi-religious interpretation of it.

Thorenus

Feb 15, 2012
survivor686 said:
Its riddled with so many plot holes and clashes with good story-telling logic. There are better post than me which explain the awfulness behind.
Why, that sounds almost exactly like how an awful lot of religous texts are written!

Seriously though, you can interpret a huge number of stories like this, from soap opera's to 'heathen' epics like Beowulf or the Aeneid.

(And before people start raging: that first bit was a joke of course, the bible has got some good storytelling, even from a non-religious point of view)

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
At least someone enjoyed the painfully hamfisted religious allegories that didn't fit the tone in this game?