TellTale Games Planning The Walking Dead "Season Two"

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
TellTale Games Planning The Walking Dead "Season Two"

The studio behind Sam & Max wants to bring you more drama, politics, and zombies.

With the first two episodes of its series of zombie-based point-and-click adventure games behind it, TellTale Games is already looking ahead - way ahead. Today the studio confirmed that it is planning a second season of The Walking Dead for an unspecified time after the release of the current season's final episode. Senior Vice President of Marketing Steve Allison told Polygon, "this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do."

Allison also pointed to the series' commercial success, stating, "our first episodic game series based on The Walking Dead has sold nearly 1.7 million episodes to consumers in just our first 8 weeks with no signs of slowing down." Indeed, the first two episodes of the season rated highly with our own Susan Arendt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9790-The-Walking-Dead-Episodes-1-2-Review], who is waiting impatiently for the third episode. That installment is due in August, with the remaining two episodes currently having no release date.

If you can manage to wait for the whole first season to come out, you'll be able to pick up the full set in disc form from North American retail stores, a fact TellTale Games also revealed today. If you've already subscribed to the digital season but want the season on disc too, don't worry - the studio usually makes a collector's edition available to season subscribers for free.

Source: Polygon [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/6/3141748/telltale-walking-dead-season-two]

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
SHUT UP AND FINISH THE FIRST SEASON!

I love it, and i want more of it, but you need to speed things up, having an episode come out ever few months is way to long to wait

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
If they do make another one then I hope they do a little better job working on the character's attitudes after a certain crucial event happens.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I figured something like this would happen. I mean, calling it a "season" kind of assumes there's going to be more than one. I just hope they don't let season one end on some kind of awful cliffhanger, like they keep doing with the TV show.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I wish they'd just give an accurate number of their sales rather than try to make it seem stupidly large.

1.7M/5 = 340,000 actual sales. Considering it's more or less a graphic novel that is currently attempting to sell 2/5ths of itself for full price on the promise that the rest is coming later, that's still pretty good.

Still, neat to hear it's not quite over yet, although I hope they just start us over with an entirely new group, and for shit's sake move away from Georgia. Doesn't make any sense at all to hamstring yourself into not being able to do x y or z because it was/wasn't done in the show/comic, or have cameos from characters in the show who will obviously never acknowledge that you existed in the show/comic. There's 47 other states that are likely affected, let's see one of them.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
That second episode....oh my god that was f---ed up...

I'd support a second season if it's as good as the first has been so far...

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
The first two episodes have been amazing but I wish they would release them faster rather than planning so far ahead already. Still, more sounds awesome. The episodic gaming is great but waiting a couple of months for each episode when they only last about 2-3 hours is a little too long a wait.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
they're releasing a retail disc?? hmm maybe I shoulda waited for that, but admittedly the great storytelling is making the episodic releases work lol

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Dammit. Worst news ever. This is one of Telltale's worst games.

PLEASE do another series of Sam&Max, Wallace & Gromit or Monkey Island but not this garbage.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
At pace they're going, chances are there's going to be a real apocalypse before they produce the whole the second season.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
It is a compliment of the highest regard that this article enrages me. Finish the first damn season first, then count your money, then ???, then sequel, then profit.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Honestly, I have no problem with this. I played the first two episodes, expecting something like Back To The Future, and what I got instead of an engaging multi-choice adventure which allows me to make alternative choices. Not just "right and wrong" choices, but also the grey area choices. Do I save X or do I save Y? Do I check out the forbidden barn or respect the wishes of the host? It's interesting, least to say and I am looking forward to not only the rest of Season One but also a Season Two. Although I can't help but think that maybe they should of waited until the first one was done to see how people enjoy the finished product.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Dammit. Worst news ever. This is one of Telltale's worst games.

PLEASE do another series of Sam&Max, Wallace & Gromit or Monkey Island but not this garbage.

The majority of those who have played the game will disagree with you.
Of course those were all fine games, but you have to learn to give things up and move on.
Such is life.

Robbo

Beer <3
Nov 9, 2009
I would expect that season 2 will be more along the lines of one episode per month. They will (should) learn from their mistakes and release the first when say the 3rd or 4th is done and so on. However I think a better decision would be to finish them all and then release one every 1 or 2 weeks - it would keep talk about the game very high in forums with speculation etc. Currently people will stop talking for a while which removes word of mouth for a few weeks/months.

Also I don't like the actual complaints about delays in general. Sure they said they would try to release earlier but do you really want them to rush and release something with bugs or not polished? Game delays are something I like because it means you know they aren't going to rush it out earlier than needed (in non AAA cases that is).

Due to the success of this one they should be able to wait longer to release the first episode so they can all be released closer anyway (as I said above).

What would be awesome is if they could polish their pipeline enough to make developing fast enough to have much longer seasons without reducing quality or increasing dev time too much.

I'm tired and just going on now... best stop heh

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Farther than stars said:
I figured something like this would happen. I mean, calling it a "season" kind of assumes there's going to be more than one. I just hope they don't let season one end on some kind of awful cliffhanger, like they keep doing with the TV show.
That is something that the game does right, it does not end episodes on big cliffhangers. It ends on ones that are interesting, but not asspulls. They wrap up the story they started and leave us a little something to whet our appetites for the next episode.

I'm really starting to dislike the TV series more and more.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Robbo_89 said:
I would expect that season 2 will be more along the lines of one episode per month. They will (should) learn from their mistakes and release the first when say the 3rd or 4th is done and so on. However I think a better decision would be to finish them all and then release one every 1 or 2 weeks - it would keep talk about the game very high in forums with speculation etc. Currently people will stop talking for a while which removes word of mouth for a few weeks/months.
While it's an interesting idea, it means they would totally unable to implement feedback from previous episodes into later episodes. So if they have a mechanic or story concept that doesn't work or make much sense, it'd be like that for the whole season.

The nature of this type of game - being based more upon unique puzzles and dialogue than going around shooting a bunch of nameless enemies - means that it just takes longer to develop. However, since the third season of Sam & Max successfully hit one episode a month, it's not entirely unreasonable that the second season of The Walking Dead will go a bit faster.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Durgiun said:
Farther than stars said:
That is something that the game does right, it does not end episodes on big cliffhangers. It ends on ones that are interesting, but not asspulls. They wrap up the story they started and leave us a little something to whet our appetites for the next episode.

I'm really starting to dislike the TV series more and more.
To be honest, I'm rather OK with the show's cliffhangers. Like the one at the end of episode one, first season, was fantastic and really did a great job at pulling you in. I'm just a little riled up at how they ended season 2. I haven't read the comic books so I have no idea what that big building is or who the samurai is that saved Andrea. Still, at least it's not as bad as Game of Thrones.