Borderlands 2 Goes Musical in New "Wimoweh" Trailer

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Borderlands 2 Goes Musical in New "Wimoweh" Trailer

Borderlands was a fun, over-the-top shooter that eschewed the usual brown-and-gray color scheme for more unique art style. So how was developer Gearbox Software supposed to top the original in its upcoming sequel, Borderlands 2? Simple: add a musical number.

Okay, maybe the actual game won't have a lot of singing and dancing to go along with the blood and gore, but this trailer certainly does. Using the classic tune "Wimoweh" (which many of you may know as that song from The Lion King), the video shows off the creatures, characters, combat, and weapons of Borderlands 2.

Even if you're not a Borderlands fan, you'll get a kick out of how perfectly the music matches up with the gameplay in this trailer. The odd video is really fitting for such an unusual game, and if more publishers put fun musical numbers in their trailers, I would probably watch a lot more of them.

Borderlands 2 will be released for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC on September 18 in North America, and September 21 internationally.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wait wait wait wait wait
1:22
Is that Lillith? Holy shit, what happened to her?

Good trailer. I'll probably get this when it gets kinda cheaper.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Wait wait wait wait wait
Her hot-ness must have increased... isnt that what they said determined a sirens power?

Anyways, fucking awesome, cant wait for September.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Wait wait wait wait wait
In the first game Lillith gets the ability to enter "Phoenix mode" in which she grows wings and burns everything around her. She couldn't fly though.

Borderlands has the coolest trailers I've seen.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
faspxina said:
hazabaza1 said:
Wait wait wait wait wait
In the first game Lillith gets the ability to enter "Phoenix mode" in which she grows wings and burns everything around her. She coulldn't fly though.

Really?
I remember going invisible and fucking dudes up but I don't remember any wings.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I haven't seen a trailer this good since the Borderlands 1 trailers. This game is gonna be incredible.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
faspxina said:
hazabaza1 said:
Wait wait wait wait wait
In the first game Lillith gets the ability to enter "Phoenix mode" in which she grows wings and burns everything around her. She coulldn't fly though.

Really?
Her final skill in her elemental tree was Phoenix "Killing an enemy causes you to deal Fire damage to nearby enemies and makes your shots not always cost ammo for a short amount of time". You are correct that that wasn't her active skill which was Phasewalk.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
toomuchnothing said:
hazabaza1 said:
faspxina said:
hazabaza1 said:
Wait wait wait wait wait

Really?
Her final skill in her elemental tree was Phoenix "Kill an enemy causes you to deal Fire damage to nearby enemies and makes your shots not always cost ammo for a short amount of time". You are correct that that wasn't her active skill which was Phasewalk.
Aaaaaah.
I never massively focused on that skill tree so that'll be why I didn't realise. Thanks.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
toomuchnothing said:
hazabaza1 said:
faspxina said:
hazabaza1 said:
Wait wait wait wait wait

Really?
Her final skill in her elemental tree was Phoenix "Kill an enemy causes you to deal Fire damage to nearby enemies and makes your shots not always cost ammo for a short amount of time". You are correct that that wasn't her active skill which was Phasewalk.
Aaaaaah.
I never massively focused on that skill tree so that'll be why I didn't realise. Thanks.

This is how it looked like.
Not as flashy as in this trailer, but then again, you were playing in first person so you wouldn't see it anyway.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sorry, just left a redundant post in the game forum.
Questions:
Is that little girl the Mechromancer?
Is the Gunzerker related to Marcus-the arms dealer/bus driver from the first game?

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Strangely appropriate! Looking forward to some new innovations in that series, which was a blast. I know he gets bashed a lot around here, but I love Cl4p Tr4p.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Wimoweh? Who the hell calls The Lion Sleeps Tonight "Wimoweh"? Mbube, maybe if you are a Ladysmith Black Mambazo fan. That sounds like the Tokens though...definitely The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

On a positive note I am now off to Youtube to find the TMBG The Guitar film clip.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Using the classic tune "Wimoweh" (which many of you may know as that song from The Lion King)
Was it ever used in the movie?
I've seen it only twice, but I gotta say I don't recall a scene with that old classic.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
So epic, Borderlands 2 has had some of the best trailers for a game in recent memory, I hope it can live up to the hype.

Was that Zero's voice by the way? Sounded feminine

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
JokerboyJordan said:
So epic, Borderlands 2 has had some of the best trailers for a game in recent memory, I hope it can live up to the hype.

Was that Zero's voice by the way? Sounded feminine
Watching the video again, I'd have to say the same. That does sound like it came from Zero judging from (her?) movements right after the shot, and (her?)does sound very feminine.

Has there actually been confirmation on Zero's gender? Or could Zero be a robot of some sort?