25 Top RPGs of the Last Five Years

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I maintain that RPG is the most poorly defined genre in all of gaming. Path of Exile, Pokemon X, and Mass Effect 2 have no business being in the same genre. There's just nothing that really counts as a unifying feature across all RPGs besides having experience bars and a persistent character across the entire campaign.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Falterfire said:
I maintain that RPG is the most poorly defined genre in all of gaming. Path of Exile, Pokemon X, and Mass Effect 2 have no business being in the same genre. There's just nothing that really counts as a unifying feature across all RPGs besides having experience bars and a persistent character across the entire campaign.
I would call any game whose storyline can change upon the decisions you as a player make for the character you play as an RPG, wich does include games like Deus ex while no amount of dicking around in GTA would make that an RPG since basicly the story allways progresses in the same way.

Path of exile and Diablo 3 Are called "action RPGs" for a reason. They focus mainly on the action instead of the RPG... some allow you some degree of choice (Sacred 2 for example) while others atleast give you a good lineup of possible character classes.

And Pokemon? I wouldnt call it an RPG to begin with since really there is no role playing here at all... you are allways the same characters and the only thing that changes are your lineup of tools (pokemon) the game is allways the exact same no matter how often who plays it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
No Nier or Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas being that low makes me sad. This is counteracting by Skyrim being number one making me laugh however, so I suppose it all evens out.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Yeah, I disagree completely with ME2, but then again, I only played through the game once and have since refused to go near it again, so maybe I just had a bad first impression.

Other than that, the rest of the list seems fine, and I find myself with a sudden urge to try D:OS

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Skyrim is such an unfocused game. I never understood why people love it.

Personally, I wouldn't have put Fire Emblem on the list; the amount of control you have outside of battles is simply too low; a game this closed and linear cannot be an RPG. That said, it's a better game than everything that was ranked higher.

P.S. Thanks

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Kinda sad not to see Mount and Blade: Warband or Alpha Protocol on the list. Good list though.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy crap... Skyrim on some "Top X RPGs" list on The Escapist?.

Personally I agree with this list for the most part, but I'd like to point out that Deus Ex HR's bosses were basically fixed in the Director's Cut edition, so that definitely should be worth mentioning.

So yeah, Skyrim in first place.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
I do agree Skyrim should be on this list, but placing it higher than ALL of the Souls series? Come on guys, really?

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Dragon Age 2? Really? The whole game seemed a bit unfocused, and lost in trying to make the same amount of money as DA:O. It screamed of being rush, and was pushed out in what I would call a beta state. The repeating areas is unforgivable from the same company that gave us ME2 and DA: O with in the same period of 2 to 3 years.

The story is even worse. Part two should of been part 3, and the end of part 3 need to die in the fires of the Maker.
The fact that the first enchanter of the Circle of Magi was a blood mage after spending the whole game fighting for the rights of the mages because "none of them where blood mages" just makes me almost agree with the Templars. If you're going to say that blood magic is not an issue in your Circle don't be a blood mage yourself. That is a huge risk, and is very likely to get your students killed ether by you, or a Templar. It also hurts your cause. I understand that he was pushed to an extreme, but he should of known that blood magic was not a good choice.

Now, it has been ages since I played the game, and I could change my mind, but it still bugs me that the First Enchanter in DA2 did that.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Fallout: New Vegas and Divinity: Original Sin being this low on the list made me suspicious. Dragon Age 2 being on the list at all and above made me laugh in disbelief. Skyrim taking a first place made me sad, I got nothing against Skyrim, I sunk over 200 hours in it thanks to mods, but this is not a good RPG game.

Seriously, you should have named this list "25 Top ARPG's of the Last Five Years". Positioning would've made more sense then.

PS
It seems I should just steer clear away from the news section here.

crackfool

Mar 13, 2010
PC Gamer's top 25 looks so much better than this. Severely underrating modern classics like Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas, Path of Exile, while overrating factory-made "AAA" games like Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Dragon Age 2. Did Jim Sterling make this list or something?

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
crackfool said:
PC Gamer's top 25 looks so much better than this. Severely underrating modern classics like Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas, Path of Exile, while overrating factory-made "AAA" games like Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Dragon Age 2. Did Jim Sterling make this list or something?
You clearly have little faith in our Lord Sterling's own choices, you know his Number 1 would be Chungus.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
crackfool said:
PC Gamer's list was wrong on many levels - Diablo 3 over 2? Pshh, please - but it was all of all-time keep in mind. We restricted this list to the last five years to rank the most current RPG.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
"Amalur??? Seriously??? Well this is they guy who likes Dragon Age 2" Clicks next page. And there it is.
Amalur could have been on this list if they hadn't fucked it up but they did.

Also there are a bunch of ARPGs on this list. I think ARPGs do not count as actual RPGs, its just a meaningless name. Which strongly proves the 1st comment's point.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
The only way I could disagree more with this list is if it had Alpha Protocol on it. As an Obsidian fan that game was a lackluster joke with a decent concept hidden behind a terrible execution.

But dear lord is Dragon Age II a massive pile of shit. I gave the game another shot recently, I hate the game more now. Its characters are annoying and storytelling laughable. The 3 years gaps between Act 1 and 2, and 2 and 3 feel as if no times has passed. Kirkwall is a lifeless, boring city. The voice acting even leaves a lot to be desired. The combat is a waste of time that just throws enemies at you out of thin air and rushes you from all corners. How are the recycled dungeons a minor complaint? It perfectly shows how rushed the game was. Plus the game forces you to choose between two factions led by horrible cunts, because reasons.

And what the even is this?
I am so emotionally engaged.

Lizmichi said:
Orsino also knew about and shared research with that guy who
frankensteined your mom

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Bat Vader said:
Kinda sad not to see Mount and Blade: Warband or Alpha Protocol on the list. Good list though.
We're forever doomed to have the greatest RPG ever made ignored, us Mount and Blade Fans. I'd at least be happy if it placed. Damn obscurity.

I agree with a decent amount on this list. I don't think Human Revolution should be on there and I think a few others should be higher.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Skyrim? SKYRIM? SKYRIM?!
Skyrim can be a fun game sure, but I wouldn't put it at the top of any list, let alone the best RPG. I have nothing against Skyrim, its a below average game that can be modded into something great, but from that list alone there are a bunch of games that deserve that top spot more than Skyrim.