250 million workers go on strike

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
No, that's not a typo. 250 million. You'd think it'd be bigger news! I won't presently speculate on why the largest organized strike in the history of the world isn't considered such by mainstream US outlets, though I'm fairly certain it's not just because India is on the other side of the world.

edit: weirdly, those democracy now video links actually have webpages with text as well, even though the forum is treating them as only media.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
No, that's not a typo. 250 million. You'd think it'd be bigger news! I won't presently speculate on why the largest organized strike in the history of the world isn't considered such by mainstream US outlets, though I'm fairly certain it's not just because India is on the other side of the world.

edit: weirdly, those democracy now video links actually have webpages with text as well, even though the forum is treating them as only media.
Hot damn, that is probably the biggest workers strike in human history.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Hot damn, that is probably the biggest workers strike in human history.
Given Modi's inclinations, it may end in the biggest, bloodiest, mass police action in history, too.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
He certainly doesn’t have the restraint that Trump shows
I mean if it kicks off it’s going to be horrendous violence that is probably going to give some old folks a flashback or three to the Independence movement against the colonial British. In fact it would probably be ten times worse. But - and this is a hypothetical only my safe ass is likely contemplating - if a literal 250million strong crowd has gathered to make their voices heard, has Modi got enough police to stop a human wave of anger at that magnitude?

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I mean if it kicks off it’s going to be horrendous violence that is probably going to give some old folks a flashback or three to the Independence movement against the colonial British. In fact it would probably be ten times worse. But - and this is a hypothetical only my safe ass is likely contemplating - if a literal 250million strong crowd has gathered to make their voices heard, has Modi got enough police to stop a human wave of anger at that magnitude?
To be fair, I'm not sure Modi quite feels secure enough to violently suppress that many people. Well, certainly as long as there are enough Hindus in there protesting, anyway. He's gradually expanding what he thinks he can get away with - like Erdogan, Kaczinski and numerous others that still have some lingering concern that their people aren't quite ready for dictatorship just yet.

My guess is he's working on whipping up a Muslim threat shitstorm distraction: unity through perception of threat.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Ah, yes. Absolutely no reason for a foreign power to interfere in Indian politics and cause instability while CCP is blocking rivers from flowing to Assam for the purpose of building a hydro-electric dam, or that there had been several skirmishes already at the western border (who here read about microwave weapons? sounds fun and futuristic! ). It is all isolated, without context, and praise the revolution. Ah, also, hindu man bad.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Ah, also, hindu man bad.
As a governor who at minimum encouraged and at worst covertly assisted mass violence that left an estimated 800-1500 of his own Muslim citizens dead in his province, yes he is. Although I'm aware in many sectors, that same fact makes him a hero. He at least learnt that being that blatant drew a little bit too much political heat. These days he contents himself with merely letting nationalist bully boy units roam free to club the opposition, at a safe distance from his personal association.

Reactions: Buyetyen

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Modi won't do anything because they're not majority Muslim protester, most of them hail from the country side, Modi's people. He's probably going to just dilute the change and move on (maybe throw in some goodies to specific caste). I wouldn't even be surprised if he somehow manage to make it seems like he was on the protester side all along.

The changes have some good in them, currently the government buy food from farmer at a set price, even if the price to re sell (both domestically and internationally) is lower, in effect non farmer tax payer pay farmer to produce un needed food. This system work great for farmer from well connected state that can negotiate for the government to buy large amount of their agricultural product, but it's pretty bad for the state that aren't well connected (both politically and infrastructure wise) since they can't sell nearly as much and often end up getting far less money (often because they have to pay intermediate in the process to transport the food). This also encourage small farm holder, which are very inefficient, leading to more land use for the same amount of food that larger farm holder could produce, which leads to habitat destruction.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Given Modi's inclinations, it may end in the biggest, bloodiest, mass police action in history, too.
if a literal 250million strong crowd has gathered to make their voices heard, has Modi got enough police to stop a human wave of anger at that magnitude?
Probably not, but he can also depend on BJP loyalist militias, that don't answer directly to him(clean hands).
Still it's quarter billion people, so the sheer numbers may hopefully cool strikebreaker's heads.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
As a governor who at minimum encouraged and at worst covertly assisted mass violence that left an estimated 800-1500 of his own Muslim citizens dead in his province, yes he is. Although I'm aware in many sectors, that same fact makes him a hero. He at least learnt that being that blatant drew a little bit too much political heat. These days he contents himself with merely letting nationalist bully boy units roam free to club the opposition, at a safe distance from his personal association.
Riddle me this - would you have known about this said mass violence had Modi not been elected President of India?
Would you have cared to remember it had it not been useful as a cudgel against a marked leader?
Why do we pretend to care? This happens on the other side of the world to people of different nations and faiths, with their own culture and history. Why would you impose your own views on their societies? At the very least I can understand the commies with their perceived notion of class unity, as is the creator of this thread, to encourage and support worker's halfway across the world.

I read about this a little, admittedly, and I'm more interested in the conflicts in the region rather than the internal issues each country has. I occasionally read stuff like this:
And I'm kind of indifferent whenever soldiers die at the Kashmiri border.

So yes, I will make fun of 'Hindu bad man' became I think people care about this because they're told to care about this, due to some ideal that nationalism is something to be mocked, and therefore it is acceptable to mock the Indian president. I can't tell what are the Indian states, and I bet you can't either, and we wouldn't be bothered to learn them anyways, because why would you? Well, unless you plan on visiting post-corona.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Why do we pretend to care? This happens on the other side of the world to people of different nations and faiths, with their own culture and history. Why would you impose your own views on their societies?
Bro, you (allegedly) live in Israel. And yet keep posting about what happens in the US all the time.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Modi won't do anything because they're not majority Muslim protester, most of them hail from the country side, Modi's people. He's probably going to just dilute the change and move on (maybe throw in some goodies to specific caste). I wouldn't even be surprised if he somehow manage to make it seems like he was on the protester side all along.

The changes have some good in them, currently the government buy food from farmer at a set price, even if the price to re sell (both domestically and internationally) is lower, in effect non farmer tax payer pay farmer to produce un needed food. This system work great for farmer from well connected state that can negotiate for the government to buy large amount of their agricultural product, but it's pretty bad for the state that aren't well connected (both politically and infrastructure wise) since they can't sell nearly as much and often end up getting far less money (often because they have to pay intermediate in the process to transport the food). This also encourage small farm holder, which are very inefficient, leading to more land use for the same amount of food that larger farm holder could produce, which leads to habitat destruction.
This is a step in the direction of factory farms and modernizing India's agriculture. It's also a blow to commies because it would decrease their voter pool.
Do you know if they've removed the tariffs between different states? It should be among the reforms they passed, or they're planning to pass them.
India reminds me sometimes of France before the revolution, with its tariffs, inequality, classism (castes) and asinine agricultural practices.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Riddle me this - would you have known about this said mass violence had Modi not been elected President of India?
Would you have cared to remember it had it not been useful as a cudgel against a marked leader?
Why do we pretend to care? This happens on the other side of the world to people of different nations and faiths, with their own culture and history. Why would you impose your own views on their societies? At the very least I can understand the commies with their perceived notion of class unity, as is the creator of this thread, to encourage and support worker's halfway across the world.

I read about this a little, admittedly, and I'm more interested in the conflicts in the region rather than the internal issues each country has. I occasionally read stuff like this:
And I'm kind of indifferent whenever soldiers die at the Kashmiri border.

So yes, I will make fun of 'Hindu bad man' became I think people care about this because they're told to care about this, due to some ideal that nationalism is something to be mocked, and therefore it is acceptable to mock the Indian president. I can't tell what are the Indian states, and I bet you can't either, and we wouldn't be bothered to learn them anyways, because why would you? Well, unless you plan on visiting post-corona.
Bro, Tulsi isn’t gonna fuck you.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Not my type. I like plump shortstacks. Two of my exs fit that niche nicely
Damn, you actually do just genuinely love genocidal nationalists that much then. Really would’ve been funnier if you were just a Tulsi stan.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine