Assassin's Creed 3 Novel Tells Connor's Origin

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Assassin's Creed 3 Novel Tells Connor's Origin

Assassin's Creed: Forsaken is historian Oliver Bowden's latest contribution to the franchise.

Anticipation for the latest entrant in the Assassin's Creed franchise is building, and to capitalize on that the developers have announced a new novel that will tell the origin story of Templar-hunting Connor Kenway Ratonhnhaké:ton. Assassin's Creed: Forsaken, the latest instalment of this entertainment juggernaut, is due for a December 2012 release.

"Set during the American Revolution," said the developers in a press release, "Connor has sworn to secure liberty for his people and his nation ... Assassin's Creed: Forsaken is the story behind who Connor really is and how he has become a deadly killer." The novel will be published on December 4th, at a recommended retail price of $9.99.

The book is being written by Oliver Bowden, aka Anton Gill, historian and novelist. This isn't the first time he's written for the series; he's the man behind four other novels, and has been given a remarkable amount of freedom to adapt the narrative as he sees fit. "I was very lucky in that the writers weren't hugely prescriptive when it came to plotting," he said when talking about the process behind Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade, and added "[the developers] knew what needed to happen, but how it happened they left up to me."

Assassin's Creed 3 is due on October 30th for Xbox and PS3, slightly later than that for PC.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/19/assassins-creed-forsaken-novel-out-dec-3-will-tell-story-of/]

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Well, I'm looking forward to this. I've enjoyed the asscreed books so far, and I feel this should provide some much needed backstory (at least for me anyways). Pitty it doesn't come out before the game.

Karloff said:
"Connor has sworn to secure liberty for his people and his nation ... Assassin's Creed: Forsaken is the story behind who Connor really is and how he has become a deadly killer."
This is what I want to know, how does a British/Native American assassin end up working for the Patriots. I assume it means he's fighting for the liberty of the Patriots because judging by the amount of redcoat slaying he's not on the side of the British and since the Native Americans were largely on the side of the British I can only assume he's not fighting for them either. I just don't see how he can fight for the Patriots when George Washington according to Native Americans, means village destroyer.

Unless this book/reviews of the game explain his history to justify all the redcoat killing I won't be purchasing the game. Hope it does though :(.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Blazing Steel said:
Well, I'm looking forward to this. I've enjoyed the asscreed books so far, and I feel this should provide some much needed backstory (at least for me anyways). Pitty it doesn't come out before the game.

Karloff said:
"Connor has sworn to secure liberty for his people and his nation ... Assassin's Creed: Forsaken is the story behind who Connor really is and how he has become a deadly killer."
This is what I want to know, how does a British/Native American assassin end up working for the Patriots. I assume it means he's fighting for the liberty of the Patriots because judging by the amount of redcoat slaying he's not on the side of the British and since the Native Americans were largely on the side of the British I can only assume he's not fighting for them either. I just don't see how he can fight for the Patriots when George Washington according to Native Americans, means village destroyer.

Unless this book/reviews of the game explain his history to justify all the redcoat killing I won't be purchasing the game. Hope it does though :(.
Well, I don't see why him being a Native American means he has to have a special reason to do it. Did you complain that Ezio kills a shitton of Italians? Or that Altair probably laid more devastation onto the Muslims than the Crusades could dream? It could be a very simple, personal reason, or maybe he just thinks red shirts are tacky.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
CJ1145 said:
Well, I don't see why him being a Native American means he has to have a special reason to do it.
By 'it' do you mean killing the British or the fact he fights for the Patriots? If you mean the former, then him being Native American is import because I read that Connor was part of the Mohawk clan. The Mohawks were aiding the British, so he needs a special reason to go against the orders of his leader as this was something Native Americans rearly did. If you mean the latter then I thinks it's relavent as most openly hated the Patriots.

CJ1145 said:
Did you complain that Ezio kills a shitton of Italians? Or that Altair probably laid more devastation onto the Muslims than the Crusades could dream? It could be a very simple, personal reason, or maybe he just thinks red shirts are tacky.
Ezio killed all different types of Italians, whereas Connor only kills the British. As for Altair, I'm not familiar with the history and my memory of the game is more than fuzzy but I'm pretty sure he was unbiased. It feels like Connor's just going on a Brit stabbing spree. This 'personal reason' is what I want to know about. Connor fights for the Patriots, who would have viewed Connor as a lower species, and his people viewed them as enemys. I want an explanation for this.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I'll not be buying this. The previous novels have had very dry prose and the author shows no signs of improving.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I can see it now:

"And Arthur Davies set foot in the New World. His trip was arduous, and he was tired of the endless nights at sea. He looked down and took in the sights around him. He was in a small town, nothing like those of London back home. The locals have named it Boston. He didn't have time to anywhere however, for he was soon being rounded up with the rest of the soldiers, by the sergeant in charge.

'Welcome to the New World. Grab your belonging, and load them up on that there cart. Then line up and stand at attention, we march for the fort.'

The fort was small and the sleeping quarters were cramped. Being their first day the soldiers were given the rest of the day off. Being bored, he went out for a walk. He noticed a native woman, and one thing led to another and boom Connor was born.

THE END"

That is a New York Times best seller there folks.

Ernil Menegil

Aug 2, 2010
... yeah, Bowden is not a good writer at all.

I bought his ACII book, Renaissance, and it stands to this day as the only book I refuse to finish. A bigger waste of money than buying LOTR: The Third Age for PS2 was.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:
Well, I don't see why him being a Native American means he has to have a special reason to do it.
By 'it' do you mean killing the British or the fact he fights for the Patriots? If you mean the former, then him being Native American is import because I read that Connor was part of the Mohawk clan. The Mohawks were aiding the British, so he needs a special reason to go against the orders of his leader as this was something Native Americans rearly did. If you mean the latter then I thinks it's relavent as most openly hated the Patriots.

CJ1145 said:
Did you complain that Ezio kills a shitton of Italians? Or that Altair probably laid more devastation onto the Muslims than the Crusades could dream? It could be a very simple, personal reason, or maybe he just thinks red shirts are tacky.
Ezio killed all different types of Italians, whereas Connor only kills the British. As for Altair, I'm not familiar with the history and my memory of the game is more than fuzzy but I'm pretty sure he was unbiased. It feels like Connor's just going on a Brit stabbing spree. This 'personal reason' is what I want to know about. Connor fights for the Patriots, who would have viewed Connor as a lower species, and his people viewed them as enemys. I want an explanation for this.
I have been saying this for months.

Killing Redcoats doesn't bother me, 100000s probably died at the hand of my French armies in Napoleon: Total War. What bothers me is how Britain has so far been portrayed as cartoon villains in a series that's meant to represent history. At the moment it doesn't look like I'll be exploring historical events as they happened, but as how Ubisoft want them to appear to appeal to an American market. Why else would a Mohawk side with the Patriots? The British actually treated the natives well, and protected their claims, they didn't go around burning down native villages. This is even in the Deceleration of Interdependence as one of the reasons listed against the Crown, the Patriots actually believed they had a God-given right to use the Natives land as they saw fit.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds good. enjoyed the last 2 books. sure not a great writer but ok to read. if he wrote other books for AC, then i missed them. i just know brotherhood and renaissance.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:

CJ1145 said:
You do realize that Native Americans are not Zerg right? You realize that just because a person is of a certain ethnicity, they are not automatically in favor of the political views that are common to said ethnicity, right? Native Americans are not a hive-mind, there can be people that don't take orders from the Mohawk clan.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:

CJ1145 said:
You do realize that Native Americans are not Zerg right? You realize that just because a person is of a certain ethnicity, they are not automatically in favor of the political views that are common to said ethnicity, right? Native Americans are not a hive-mind, there can be people that don't take orders from the Mohawk clan.
Not if you're born into that clan. If your leader was of a certain political view, then it would be expected of you to have to have the save view.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:

CJ1145 said:
Not if you're born into that clan. If your leader was of a certain political view, then it would be expected of you to have to have the save view.
...right, because nobody has views that run counter to that of their parents or their community.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:

CJ1145 said:
...right, because nobody has views that run counter to that of their parents or their community.
Not saying he didn't have different views, but he would be expected to follow the elder, and the fact the Patriots burned the women and children of his clan, would most likely destroy any positive views of the Patriots.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:

CJ1145 said:
Not saying he didn't have different views, but he would be expected to follow the elder, and the fact the Patriots burned the women and children of his clan, would most likely destroy any positive views of the Patriots.
Again people are individuals, they cs=an do things that go against there parents wishes.

Kal-Adam

May 7, 2010
I bought the AC2 novel, and it was just a retelling of the whole story of AC2, just in the driest and least interesting way possible. So no, I'm not interested in this.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:

CJ1145 said:
Again people are individuals, they cs=an do things that go against there parents wishes.
But Connor doesn't have a reason to. This reason would have to be worse than burning blood related women and children.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:

CJ1145 said:
But Connor doesn't have a reason to. This reason would have to be worse than burning blood related women and children.
First of, Connor is biracial. Second off, you haven't played the game yet, so how do you know Connors motivation?