Assassin's Creed 3 Novel Tells Connor's Origin

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
The British mainlanders weren't buddy-buddy with the natives, they barely had contact save for the anglicized ones who made it across the pond. The two factions were in a political alliance, that's it. They were just hired guns to the redcoats, tools of war. That was Europe's typical attitude toward pretty much everyone in those times and the Mohawks were no exception.

Connor has his own reasons for fighting. He, like the other protagonists of the series, is one of history's atypical figures and that he stands his ground against the expectations of those around him is what makes him the hero. Even if he fights for a given side, he kills in the name of his chosen convictions, which more or less align with the Assassin code. I'm hoping the game puts onus on this more human aspect of history - there's gray to everyone and everything. Sometimes even when fighting for a cause you believe in, the wrong people get hurt along the way.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
CJ1145 said:
Well, I don't see why him being a Native American means he has to have a special reason to do it.
By 'it' do you mean killing the British or the fact he fights for the Patriots? If you mean the former, then him being Native American is import because I read that Connor was part of the Mohawk clan. The Mohawks were aiding the British, so he needs a special reason to go against the orders of his leader as this was something Native Americans rearly did. If you mean the latter then I thinks it's relavent as most openly hated the Patriots.

CJ1145 said:
Did you complain that Ezio kills a shitton of Italians? Or that Altair probably laid more devastation onto the Muslims than the Crusades could dream? It could be a very simple, personal reason, or maybe he just thinks red shirts are tacky.
Ezio killed all different types of Italians, whereas Connor only kills the British. As for Altair, I'm not familiar with the history and my memory of the game is more than fuzzy but I'm pretty sure he was unbiased. It feels like Connor's just going on a Brit stabbing spree. This 'personal reason' is what I want to know about. Connor fights for the Patriots, who would have viewed Connor as a lower species, and his people viewed them as enemys. I want an explanation for this.
You do realize that Native Americans are not Zerg right? You realize that just because a person is of a certain ethnicity, they are not automatically in favor of the political views that are common to said ethnicity, right? Native Americans are not a hive-mind, there can be people that don't take orders from the Mohawk clan.
Not if you're born into that clan. If your leader was of a certain political view, then it would be expected of you to have to have the save view.
...right, because nobody has views that run counter to that of their parents or their community.
Not saying he didn't have different views, but he would be expected to follow the elder, and the fact the Patriots burned the women and children of his clan, would most likely destroy any positive views of the Patriots.
Again people are individuals, they cs=an do things that go against there parents wishes.
But Connor doesn't have a reason to. This reason would have to be worse than burning blood related women and children.
First of, Connor is biracial. Second off, you haven't played the game yet, so how do you know Connors motivation?
So? Doesn't change the fact he has family within the Mohawks. I never claimed to know his motivation, I said I don't know what kind of motivation could be worse than the many, many, many reasons for him to fight the patriots. If you re-check my other comments you'll find that theses are the reasons I'm not buying the game untill I know whether my assumtions are correct or it ubisoft will prove me wrong.[small]I highly doubt it.[/small]

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Blazing Steel said:
So? Doesn't change the fact he has family within the Mohawks.
It doesn't change the fact that he has family with White people either.

Blazing Steel said:
I never claimed to know his motivation, I said I don't know what kind of motivation could be worse than the many, many, many reasons for him to fight the patriots. If you re-check my other comments you'll find that theses are the reasons I'm not buying the game untill I know whether my assumtions are correct or it ubisoft will prove me wrong.[small]I highly doubt it.[/small]
Whether you choose to buy it is up to you but as I said before, Connor isn't a Zerg. Its perfectly fine that he feels alignment with the patriots and not he British imperialist or the Mohawks.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
It makes it even worse, since he's now waging war against people who are trying to aid his respective families.

Blazing Steel said:
I never claimed to know his motivation, I said I don't know what kind of motivation could be worse than the many, many, many reasons for him to fight the patriots. If you re-check my other comments you'll find that theses are the reasons I'm not buying the game untill I know whether my assumtions are correct or it ubisoft will prove me wrong.[small]I highly doubt it.[/small]
Helmholtz Watson said:
Whether you choose to buy it is up to you but as I said before, Connor isn't a Zerg. Its perfectly fine that he feels alignment with the patriots and not he British imperialist or the Mohawks.
Now we're going in circles. His alignment isn't what I'm bothered by, it's his motive behind his chosen alignment. I can't possibly think of a reason for him to ignor the horrors that the patriots caused to his clan. If ubisoft can some how justify it, then great, if not they've managed to lie and shit on history at the same time.

Ubisoft said they would be historically accurate, and unbiased. No content for Assassin's Creed 3 so far has conviced anyone of this, so I need a decent explanation from them.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Blazing Steel said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Blazing Steel said:
It makes it even worse, since he's now waging war against people who are trying to aid his respective families.
*shrug* I guess.

Blazing Steel said:
Now we're going in circles. His alignment isn't what I'm bothered by, it's his motive behind his chosen alignment. I can't possibly think of a reason for him to ignor the horrors that the patriots caused to his clan. If ubisoft can some how justify it, then great, if not they've managed to lie and shit on history at the same time.
You keep wanting to bring up his Native American side, while ignoring that he is biracial. For all you know, he identifies more with his White side than his Native American side. Its not uncommon for biracial people to decide to identify more with one side of family.
Blazing Steel said:
Ubisoft said they would be historically accurate, and unbiased. No content for Assassin's Creed 3 so far has conviced anyone of this, so I need a decent explanation from them.
I understand that, but I think your making a big thing out of nothing. So what if the imperialist are the enemies?

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
You keep wanting to bring up his Native American side, while ignoring that he is biracial. For all you know, he identifies more with his White side than his Native American side. Its not uncommon for biracial people to decide to identify more with one side of family.
I may have overlooked this, but I've been getting a very strong impression that at some point he was part of a native american clan. He uses hatchets and archery skills, rather than muskets as his primary weapon.

Helmholtz Watson said:
I understand that, but I think your making a big thing out of nothing. So what if the imperialist are the enemies?
I think the problem is here is we're getting completely different vibes from the trailers. You think I'm making a bug thing out of nothing and I feel you're overlooking an important part of the game.

If ubisoft wants to show the British as the enemies, I have no problem with that. It's the fact that they said they would be 'unbiases' which really gets me. The conflict was an evil vs another evil, there was no happy ending for everyone. However the trailers are depicting the Loyalist as pure evil scum and the Patriots as bringer of everything good.