Square Enix to Reveal Next Final Fantasy at 25th Anniversary Celebration

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Square Enix to Reveal Next Final Fantasy at 25th Anniversary Celebration

Demos, music, and a celebration of Final Fantasy VII are also planned for the three-day event.

With Final Fantasy XIII-2 a fading memory and the status of Final Fantasy Versus XIII uncertain, the future of the long-running RPG series is a mystery. Square Enix is planning to reveal what's next for the franchise on September 1 during the publisher's Final Fantasy 25th anniversary celebration in Japan.

The event will be held in Shibuya from August 31 through September 2, with the first day exclusively for members of the press and Square Enix fan club. After that, the celebration opens to the public, and will feature several presentations and a demo event.

Among the presentations is the "Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga: New Developments Presentation" taking place on September 1, during which Square Enix has promised to reveal what's next for the Final Fantasy XIII project. The game's producer, director, and art director will be in attendance, as well as other members of the staff. Since Square Enix is focused on FFXIII and its main character Lightning, it sounds like the publisher is planning to announce Final Fantasy XIII-3.

For those in the Shibuya area interested in attending, there will also be a Final Fantasy XI music event, Final Fantasy XIV presentation, and even a special stage celebrating the 15th anniversary of Final Fantasy VII. No live broadcasts of the events have been planned, so the rest of us will just have to wait for the details to leak onto the internet later this summer.

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/con201/ffxiii_developments/]

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
As much as I like Lightning, I'm still upset about Versus. I can't believe that FFXIII-3 might come out before it. At least let me have Type-0 in English. It's about to be a year already.

...I will be looking into XIII-3 though. The ending for XIII-2 pissed me off.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Just fucking give us Versus 13 already! How hard can it be to publish a game that all the fans think is the most interesting thing you've produced in years!

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
So who wants to bet that there will be a XIII-4 in the near future? Seems like a safe bet to me honestly.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
oh wow this is bad, its almost like they don't want to admit that ff13 polarised fans. Lets face it about half the people who played ff13 didn't like it (ff13-2 sold half as many copys as 13) and at this point it looks like their in denial.
Sqaure ff13 didn't work out, its fine it happens, just stop trying to shove it on us and support/release versus 13 (witch looks and sounds much better) or move on to ff15.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Thirteen versus and type O. Maybe release be collection of all the final mix versions of the kh. Frankly I running out of ducks to give my once favorite gaming company. I m actually starting to like Nintendo more than square, and I fucking can't stand them except dos zelda games

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I no longer care, no type zero outside japan and no FF13verus's, S/E get bankrupt already....

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Well rumors are flying around again that Versus XIII has either been cancelled or moved into what will be FFXV. I suppose this event will be when we'll get confirmation on it or not, but I'm not holding my breath. Square's been doing all kinds of weird dancing around this massive XIII project and I'm not really buying into the hype much anymore because of it.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
GAunderrated said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I no longer care, no type zero outside japan and no FF13verus's, S/E get bankrupt already....
Hate to admit it but I had those exact thoughts.
It seems when Square gets into financial issues is when they make the best stuff.
They have an incredible ability to pull company saving games out of their arse just in the nick of time.

Sara Fontaine

Sep 20, 2010
I don't care anymore about what Square Enix have to offer. Versus was the last game I was actually looking forward to, and Nomura claimed to be creating a new trailer for it back in April/May. He also said Versus takes priority over remaking VII. I would hope so too, although it seems currently that milking the XIII/Lightning cashcow takes priority over everything else anyway. If they have cancelled Versus, then that's it for me. No more of my money will go to Square-Enix.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Eclpsedragon said:
GAunderrated said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Hate to admit it but I had those exact thoughts.
It seems when Square gets into financial issues is when they make the best stuff.
They have an incredible ability to pull company saving games out of their arse just in the nick of time.
I can handle a REALY bad FF me once and and awhile but it seems they want to make crappy action games for the masses like bioware or Namco (only half the time the tales games are good to great, there I said it...lol).

And why do I hate bioware? Lack of depth in gameplay/skill systems and on the rails level design.

/rant end

/not really.... LOL

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Oh jesus effing vhrist Square-Enix.

NO ONE LIKED FF13 YOU IDIOTS! GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS! MAKE SOMETHING NEW! NEEEEEEWWWWW!

Damn that had a lot of vile hate in that one >.<

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Final Fantasy Series brought Square Soft out of financial oblivion -- it blazed trails, story telling-wise; but it's time for them to birth another IP that will take them into the future.

And if not, then stop promising so many freaking FF games! As to date, theirs Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIV (2.0 release coming later this year), and now Final Fantasy XIII-3.

Not to mention Kingdom Hearts: Epic Rigmarole
LOLZ

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
worldfest said:
Final Fantasy Series brought Square Soft out of financial oblivion -- it blazed trails, story telling-wise; but it's time for them to birth another IP that will take them into the future.

And if not, then stop promising so many freaking FF games! As to date, theirs Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIV (2.0 release coming later this year), and now Final Fantasy XIII-3.

Not to mention Kingdom Hearts: Epic Rigmarole
LOLZ
I dunno if they would take the series back to basics but with a choice of real time or turn based combat it would sell like crazy...unfortunately they want to make games for focus groups and zombies...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So FFXIII-3 then, yes?

As for Type-0 and Verses XIII, not gonna get all in a huffy until I hear more about these games on that day, assuming they talk about it of course.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
But who exactly is their focus group? Fourteen Japanese men and women, who mostly enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2? or twelve westerners, who don't understand why the game play consists mostly of pressing 'x' every few seconds with weird j-pop in the background.

Needless to say, the DEMO didn't make me a big fan.

And this is just the problem Final Fantasy has. Who are they marketing to? They obviously haven't found a middle ground, so they're drawing out our patience with a XIII-3 to try and gauge the gaming community as a whole.

I think it has a huge potential to flop, or it could delightfully go the other way.