New Zombies and Zombie-Killing Accessories in L4D2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Zombies and Zombie-Killing Accessories in L4D2

A hands-on look at the new Swamp Fever campaign in Left 4 Dead 2 has revealed a new type of special Infected (the Spitter), new "common-uncommon" Infected, and the new Ammo Pack and Adrenaline powerup accessories.

[flowplayer=http://pcmovies.gamespy.com/pc/video/article/100/1005432/spy_l4d_gmp_shantytown_flvlowwide.flv]

Our colleagues over at GameSpy [http://au.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/left-4-dead-2/1005511p1.html] got a chance to check out the new Swamp Fever campaign in the upcoming Left 4 Dead 2, and there's some pretty interesting stuff going on down in the bayou.

First, there's what Valve refers to as "common-uncommon" Infected - they're more numerous and common than your usual special enemies, but they've got some nifty abilities to set them apart from the normal hordes eager for your succulent brains. They're also unique to each campaign: In the Swamp, the Survivors will run into 'mud men,' "zombies who run on all fours incredibly quickly, making them hard to detect, and especially so when they're in a couple feet of water."

Then again, there are also new special Infected - in this case, the Spitter. The Spitter seems to be cousin to the Boomer, in that its primary attack is to spew vomit as an area-of-effect attack. Sure, it hurts the Survivors, but more importantly it splits them up - potentially fatal in, say, a zombie-infested bayou.

But the four Survivors have new tools to help them, well, survive, too. Ammo packs can be carried as replacements for first aid kits for a quick boost if you're making a stand and running low on zombie repellent. Adrenaline pills let a character run into the middle of the shambling hordes without being slowed down, and removes fatigue from melee swings - nicely befitting the sequel's new melee-based gameplay.

The report isn't 100% accurate, though - while it states that the adrenaline and ammo pack will completely replace the standard pain suppression pill and first aid pack, respectively, that may only be the case for multiplayer. Currently, Lead Designer Chet Faliszek told The Escapist, the plan is for them to be "optional replacements" for their respective slots. So a Survivor might opt to carry a first aid kit or an ammo pack, but not both.

All in all, the game seems to be shaping up very nicely. The sequel is supposed to hit shelves this November, though since that's on "Valve time," we can likely expect to see Left 4 Dead 2 releasing just before Diablo III in 2014.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5319162/left-4-dead-2-has-new-zombies-new-items])

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Whenever it says "The Spitter", I keep on thinking "Timesplitter".

A lot of cool ideas in this game, it is already sounding like a worthy sequel.

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
I'm still pissed they never made the promised web content for the orignial, LIKE STEAM PROMISED.

They're just leaving the original L4d to die...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Something about L4D just makes me feel that I'm wasting time playing it, I'm not working my way to a goal or anything. I may not bother with the sequel until I see some serious changes to the gameplay.

That's right folks: I DON'T ENJOY KILLING ZOMBIES.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
OptimusHagrid said:
Whenever it says "The Spitter", I keep on thinking "Timesplitter".

A lot of cool ideas in this game, it is already sounding like a worthy sequel.
Ahh, TimeSplitters.... Those days long ago.....

Well this looks really good. I don't know what to fanboy crying is about.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
You know that video didnt look anywhere near as intense or frantic paced as the original L4D, could be just that particular map though.
They might also be playing an easier difficulty for the purposes of the demonstration. It didn't look like anyone was having a hard time, after all.

I just hope that the old fighting about this doesn't start up again. What was it last time, 7 pages?

Also,

CantFaketheFunk said:
I have to ask: where's all this video content in the News posts coming from? Have you guys got a source that's going to be giving you material on a consistent basis, or is this a situational deal?

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
DND Judgement said:
ok where is the spitter i can't tell it apart from the common infected....
I saw no spitter but near the end of the vid you can see what appears to be bright green boomer bile splash into the swamp... and promptly turn red :S I assume this is related to the spitter's ability.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
scotth266 said:
I have to ask: where's all this video content in the News posts coming from? Have you guys got a source that's going to be giving you material on a consistent basis, or is this a situational deal?
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/left-4-dead-2/1005376p1.html

I think this is the original source. Found the link on the L4D2 Steam forums.

edit: I just noticed the link at the top of this page, oh well.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
The66Monkey said:
the more i c of this game the more i stand behind the boycott.
Brown Cap said:
I'm still pissed they never made the promised web content for the orignial, LIKE STEAM PROMISED.

They're just leaving the original L4d to die...
Step on up.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Well It's a start.

I hope they make at least 3-5 new Special infected (and tons more of un-commen commen) before the release.

Still...not bad for now.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
OptimusHagrid said:
scotth266 said:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/left-4-dead-2/1005376p1.html

I think this is the original source. Found the link on the L4D2 Steam forums.
Or you could have clicked the link to the original source up in our post.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
DND Judgement said:
ok where is the spitter i can't tell it apart from the common infected....
Theres a bit near the end where you see a big glob of green spit fly across the screen and hit the Anthony dude. Cant remember what time exactly. Pretty much exactly like Boomer but longer range. Also from what I saw of it. It has big spots all over its back. I might be wrong though.

Looks great though. Im assuming that either wasnt expert mode or near the start of one of the stories.

DObs

Jul 4, 2009
One thing I didnt like about the original and doesnt looked to have changed for this one is how all the weapons look exactly the same. The functionality doesnt have to be different but wouldnt it be better if each of the weapons had a good number of different skins? youve got all the effort of having 1000s of zombies that while look similar always look like mobs and not hordes of twins. Then, in my opinion, its ruined by having all weapon types look 100% the same, especially being all nice and shiny and in perfect working condition.

JojjeE

Apr 21, 2008
Spitter sounds like an Infected version of the molotov. Sounds interesting, looking forward to this alot.