Ubisoft Puts PC Piracy Rate at 93-95%

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Ubisoft Puts PC Piracy Rate at 93-95%

A high PC piracy rate means free-to-play is the way Ubisoft intends to make its profits.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot claims that the percentage of people who bother to pay for their games is such that it makes as much sense to go free-to-play as it does to sell boxed product. According to his figures the PC piracy rate is 93-95%, which means that the same amount of people pay for their boxed game - about five to seven percent - as contribute in a free-to-play model. Given that fact, there's no sense in hanging on to a physical product business model when boxed games are more expensive to produce and ship.

"[Free-to-play is] a way to get closer to your customers," said Guillemot, "to make sure you have a revenue. On PC it's only around five to seven percent of the players who pay for F2P, but normally on PC it's only about five to seven per cent who pay anyway, the rest is pirated." But the free-to-play players put in money over the longer term, where purchasers of boxed product contribute only once, at point of sale. For Ubisoft, this means that the free-to-play community is more capable of funding expansions and in-game extras. Plus, it's cheaper to distribute free-to-play than it is to manage all the headaches of physical product; lower costs and extended revenue streams are the things manufacturers dream about.

It also helps that free-to-play reaches outside markets. "The advantage of F2P," Guillemot says,"is that we can get revenue from countries where we couldn't previously - places where our products were played but not bought. Now with F2P we gain revenue, which helps brands last longer."

Guillemot is keen to see what the new generation of consoles will add. Perhaps, he says, next-gen console gaming will bring innovation to the market, but developers like Ubisoft have been waiting for too long for this to happen. Until then Ubisoft will be looking more closely at free-to-play as a business strategy, and given the piracy numbers quoted it's easy to see why.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/7L9eYm/www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-22-guillemot-as-many-pc-players-pay-for-f2p-as-boxed-product]

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Really? 19 out of every 20 PC gamers are pirates? Only if DRM makes the games unplayable, perhaps....

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
These idiots will say anything to justify their massively invasive and legit-user punishing DRM. Somehow I SERIOUSLY doubt that only 7% of people IN THE ENTIRE WORLD have actually paid for the games that they play on PC. If it is true though, someone should probably tell Valve that they're wasting their time with Steam. Much better business practice to just throw always online DRM into crappy PC ports and shovelware games and then blame all the pirates.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Wow it's as if Ubisofts legitimate users are being punished in some manner, while pirates don't have to deal with it....
I wonder what that could be.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
What a coincidence! According to my figures, 93-95% of statistics Yves Guillemot states is entirely made up on the spot!

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
And according to my figures there is a 100% rate that a CEO is talking out of his ass.

vhailorx

Mar 7, 2011
It seems to me that this conversation is pointless without context. 93-95% of what? Is the guy from Ubisoft suggesting that everyone who pirates a game would purchase it at full retail price if they couldn't pirate it? That's absurd. Even if it is true that 19 illegal copies of a game are used for every legitimate copy, it would be foolish for a game developer to believe that it's actual market is that large. No wonder they are losing money if they are spending giant amounts of cash thinking that their market is 2 or 3 or 4 times larger than it actually is.

On top of that, the 19:1 ratio of illegal to legal copies of a game seems quite high but not implausible. how about some explanation of how they reach that number?

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Of course, what else can Ubisoft say? That they are sorry and regret their previous mishandling of content protection? As if!

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Well, free-to-play is certainly better than the pay-to-DRM they've been offering thus far, although I would say that the nature of the game you're trying to sell is the most important factor in determining whether F2P is the best model for it.

the big fluffeh

Nov 7, 2011
Well, I can believe that 95% of people that want to play Ubisoft games, would rather pirate them. Why mess with their horrid DRM, if you can play the game without any head aches?

I sure as hell don't want to waste my money on their buggy, rushed and crippled (by the DRM) products.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well you could stop screwing you paying customers up the ass with a cast iron rod by employing debilitating DRM schemes Ubisoft, DRM schemes which are more harmful to your legitimate paying customers than they are the pirates who crack them within a week and have a DRM-free version of your game up on torrent sites for everyone to download for free[footnote]Not advocating piracy[/footnote] which is much more appealing just by virtue of the fact that it doesn't have your asinine DRM attached to it. That might help.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
...bisoft.

Another "Piracy rates are super high, guys! Stop it!" excuse for their DRM it seems.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Step 1. Use draconian DRM that does not work amd forces 95% of your costumers to hate you and pirate your products.
Step 2. Complain that 95% if your public pirates your games and tell everyone they are forced to change because "evil players".
Step 3. Promote your new games as being forced into existence by pirates to bring contraversy in news.
Step 4. Build more cars out of gold.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

You can tell hes full of shit since if the rates were that high then they would have abandoned their stupid copy protection since it obviously isn't working worth a shit.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
I have purchased over 4000 games since 1979, and I will not buy any Ubisoft title unless it's massively discounted.
Even if it has no DRM whatsoever, because their DRM is so fucking retarded, it taints every title they publish.

Even after I buy one of their games, the first thing I do is crack it.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Now would be the time for some enterprising Google-fu expert to find out how much money Ubisoft has made in sales over the past six months. :)

rvdm88

Jun 11, 2008
If this is only about Ubisoft's games im not very surprised...

I've seen people actually buy a Ubisoft game in the store and then just pirate the game to play the game without invasive DRM.

But srsly, i think steam is the proof that piracy doesnt have to be a issue if proper service is provided. "yes you could pirate Teamfortress2, but then you would not have all the things that they keep piling onto the game" (even though it's F2P now)

The way to get "pirates" to buy games is to provide something that can't be unlocked by hacking, and that is a good community, a proper service and attention. Also the Ease of use that steam provides actually makes the legal version more interesting. Cloudsaving, quick multiplayer joining, automated downloads/installs, no hassle with 25 digit serial codes everytime you want to reinstall the game and even an engaging friends and group system that supports the social side of the gaming community.

I wish ubisoft was more like Valve...