Kixeye: "Zynga is About Making Games For Grandmothers"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Kixeye: "Zynga is About Making Games For Grandmothers"

Facebook game developer, Kixeye, poaches Zynga's staff, then adds insult to injury.

Zynga is not only losing cash as its share price plummets, but staff too. The most recent departure is Cityville general manager, Alan Patmore, who's left the company to join "midcore" competitor, Kixeye.

Competing companies poaching each other's staff is nothing new, but there's something special, and dare I say entertaining, about how gleefully Kixeye is putting the boot in.

"We wanted to pry people out of roles where their visions didn't match where their company was going," chief executive of Kixeye, Will Harbin, told VentureBeat. "Zynga is about making games for grandmothers. There are a lot of talented game developers at Zynga working on games they don't really care about."

"Alan only had a brief journey into the dark side at Zynga," he continued. "He developed valuable skills there. We were looking for people who had AAA game experience and had made the transition to free-to-play social games. Now Alan will come back to the light side."

The "light side" is Kixeye's particular brand of free-to-play online strategy games, which certainly share more in common with traditional core games than Zynga's efforts. Rather ironically, Kixeye was originally called "Casual Collective, inc."

Patmore, who once worked as vice president of product development at Double Fine, was less inclined to bash his former employer.

"I'm a big fan of Kixeye and what they've been able to accomplish over the last couple of years," he said. "I believe that there's a massive opportunity to bring AAA production value to core, free-to-play games, and Kixeye is perfectly positioned to lead that charge. I couldn't be more excited about the team, strategy, and product road map. There are some launches coming later this year that are going to set the industry on fire."

Source: Tech Crunch [http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/23/kixeye-patmore/]

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Hehe, I'm sure the vast majority of developers are working on games they don't really care about, there are few exceptions these days. Even indi developers get sick of their own projects... it's kinda innevetible after 2 or more years looking at the same thing.

Zynga though, I imagine is a nightmare to keep happy. I mean, say you come up with a fresh game idea, some IP that hasn't been squandered already... by the time the project is complete, there'll be other games that are similar, these games might introduce features that a company like Zynga will want added to your project, then it's a cycle of feature creep and over-thinking. All the initial energy is sapped out of the project by flip-flopping publishers who basically look down at users and consider them to be idiots. What might be considered obvious by you, will aparantly be a complete mystery to them. If you have a cool feature, then you'll have to make sure that the end user knows about it half a dozen times, to the point that both you and the end user are sick of it before the game even gets warm. Hating on Zynga right now is like shooting kittens in a barrel, but it's good if it empowers developers who actually want to make good games for us - then we benefit - if Zynga wins, then Zynga benefits.

Facebook games have suffered because of Zynga's greed - the platform has deteriorated, and that should never have been allowed to happen. Imagine the scope that Facebook games could have if it wasn't for Zynga's influence... imagine all the talent that Zynga has imprissoned, these guys could have been working on cool games for Facebook, not mindless crap that focusses on profit instead of entertainment.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Sure I don't like Zynga just like pretty much everyone else, but this guy comes across like such a wanker I want him to piss off too.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
In an official press release announced later in the day, Zynga retorted with the tactful reply: "Kixeye's mom makes games for Grandmothers"

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well if it makes those developers happy and keeps them in the job, then I'm quite happy for them. I just feel sorry for the rest of Zynga's staff.

Boudica said:
Could it be any more hypocritical? Someone we don't like steals developers and it's horrible, filthy, evil business practices. Someone we don't mind steals developers from someone we dislike and it's hilarious.

Oh I see. It's only wrong when you don't like it. Nice.
It's not "stealing", it might be a little sleazy though.

Also, who said it was "hilarious"? Maybe you got a little ahead of yourself there.

Jun 26, 2009
Boudica said:
Could it be any more hypocritical? Someone we don't like steals developers and it's horrible, filthy, evil business practices. Someone we don't mind steals developers from someone we dislike and it's hilarious.

Isn't that people's attitude with pretty much everything?

OT: This man seems to come of as a bit of a twat, even though I really don't like Zynga at all.

Cenzton

Nov 30, 2011
Can we just throw all these companies into a deathmatch ring and then hope none of them survive? Please?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Boudica said:

The clear difference is Zynga bought development companies. Not hired individuals.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Squilookle said:
In an official press release announced later in the day, Zynga retorted with the tactful reply: "Kixeye's mom makes games for Grandmothers"
^Something about this is so sweet. So short and delicately woven. 2 thumbs up

on topic, 'your mom' >_<

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Boudica said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Well if it makes those developers happy and keeps them in the job, then I'm quite happy for them. I just feel sorry for the rest of Zynga's staff.

Boudica said:

It's not "stealing", it might be a little sleazy though.

Also, who said it was "hilarious"? Maybe you got a little ahead of yourself there.
The tone of the OP and the image used (I understand why it was used, but it's a little dodgy using it). Instead of reporting the events, the news seems... bias and dismissive, almost mocking.

If I'm wrong about that, I can just repost it in a few hours when the thread is full of people laughing about it :p
After another look at the article I can see what you mean, but I'm pretty sure the picture wasn't directly emulating Grey's feelings towards Zynga, more like how Kixeye might be looking towards Zynga behind closed doors.

But besides all that, Grey is entitled to his opinion, and should be sharing it I think.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Oh gods, not Kixeye again. For those of you who don't remember, they did that stupid-ass trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118821-Kixeye-Recruits-With-Unicorns-Helicopters-Maniacal-Children] where they took potshots at EA and Zynga and other companies that people have actually heard of.

Twice I have heard of Kixeye. Twice I have filed them under "penis-envy chucklefucks". From now on that's going to be my default assumption when I hear about them.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I dunno. Their games are actually fun and require thinking about things.