Court Declares Oslo "Game Addict" Killer Breivik Sane

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009

Anders Breivik avoids what he calls the "humiliation" of being dismissed as a madman.

The Oslo District Court has passed judgement on paranoid schizophrenia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117941-Gaming-Media-Suckered-by-Crappy-Translation]. Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."

Breivik used gaming addiction as an excuse to cover for his activities. He played World of Warcraft and modern military shooters for 12 months straight during what he described as a "sabbatical" intended to desensitise himself for the events to follow. "I played on the idea that 'Ooh, I've become addicted to games'," he claimed during the trial. "If you are going to be capable of executing such a bloody and horrendous operation," he said, "you need to work on your mind, your psyche, for years. We have seen from military traditions you cannot send an unprepared person into war."

Friends and family were pleased when, at the end of this sabbatical period, he moved out of his mother's house to a farm several hours drive from Oslo. His addiction story had fooled them, and they were considering an intervention when he moved away. They felt he had shaken off his depression and was beginning to find a new lease on life. Unfortunately he had moved there to perfect bomb-making in a quiet, depopulated area, the better to avoid detection.

Though the court's ruling on his sanity will have pleased Breivik, it will also please many of his surviving victims. They were as anxious as he that he be declared sane, so that Breivik might spend the rest of his life in prison.

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/24/breivik-verdict-sane-21-years]

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Karloff said:
Court Declares Oslo 'Game Addict' Killer Breivik Sane

Anders Breivik avoids what he calls the "humiliation" of being dismissed as a madman.

The Oslo District Court has passed judgement on paranoid schizophrenia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117941-Gaming-Media-Suckered-by-Crappy-Translation]. Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."

Breivik used gaming addiction as an excuse to cover for his activities. He played World of Warcraft and modern military shooters for 12 months straight during what he described as a "sabbatical" intended to desensitise himself for the events to follow. "I played on the idea that 'Ooh, I've become addicted to games'," he claimed during the trial. "If you are going to be capable of executing such a bloody and horrendous operation," he said, "you need to work on your mind, your psyche, for years. We have seen from military traditions you cannot send an unprepared person into war."

Friends and family were pleased when, at the end of this sabbatical period, he moved out of his mother's house to a farm several hours drive from Oslo. His addiction story had fooled them, and they were considering an intervention when he moved away. They felt he had shaken off his depression and was beginning to find a new lease on life. Unfortunately he had moved there to perfect bomb-making in a quiet, depopulated area, the better to avoid detection.

Though the court's ruling on his sanity will have pleased Breivik, it will also please many of his surviving victims. They were as anxious as he that he be declared sane, so that Breivik might spend the rest of his life in prison.

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/24/breivik-verdict-sane-21-years]

I'm very glad you made sure to mention the extension-clause of the law; it seems many non-Norwegian news media have only reported that he got 21 years, causing a lot of questions about the Norwegian legal system...

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I was hoping he'd be declared insane, just because I'm loathe to give that man anything he wants.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
mad825 said:
He won.

I didn't see this coming.
I don't know about you but I wouldn't consider (at least) 21 years in prison a victory.

OT: Wow, I didn't know he actually used video games as a reason for being desensitised to violence as opposed to the media...

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
And generally with rulings of insanity you are locked in a psychiatric facility until you are deemed safe to reenter society. Which is often longer then the original jail sentence. So I'm not sure that finding him insane would have gotten him out any quicker.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I'm glad he got 21 years and got denied insanity plea. Seriously if he got away with this every killer would be out on insanity plea just blaming video games.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
He kills 77 people and only gets 21 years in prison!?!?!? Norway is messed up.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."
Well we wouldn't want to hurt the widdle genocidal cowardly delusional racist moster's feelings now would we?
Well, courtrooms have to uphold the law at least somewhat and declaring him insane when obviously he isn't wouldn't be the right way to go along, as much as I hate to have an opinion that even slightly falls in line with his.

Here's hoping he ends up in a prison full of slippery soap and many big burly man open for experimentation.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Why cant we just take him into the middle of town, cut his head off, and put it over the city gate?

Medieval Justice does have its good points at times.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Ukomba said:
That's the maximum sentence in Norway, though as mentioned there is a clause that they can further detain anyone who is deemed to still be a danger.

That said, I think it's a horrible message to send to the rest of the world that his sentence as listed works out to around 3 months per person he murdered, even if the intention is he will never see the light of day again.

Ingjald

Nov 17, 2009
Ukomba said:
By norweigan law, he has the right to have his case re-examined after 21 years, but they can basically extend his sentence by 5 year increments indefinitely. He's never getting out.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Ingjald said:
Ukomba said:
By norweigan law, he has the right to have his case re-examined after 21 years, but they can basically extend his sentence by 5 year increments indefinitely. He's never getting out.
MIGHT never get out. Every 5 years after the first 21 he has a chance. I don't trust a country with no death penalty and a maximum of 21 year sentence not to eventually let him go.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Slycne said:
Ukomba said:
That's the maximum sentence in Norway, though as mentioned there is a clause that they can further detain anyone who is deemed to still be a danger.

That said, I think it's a horrible message to send to the rest of the world that his sentence as listed works out to around 3 months per person he murdered, even if the intention is he will never see the light of day again.
3 months per murder. Which means the 242 he injured are freebees. There are some crimes that deserve the death penalty.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Karloff said:

Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."

Breivik used gaming addiction as an excuse to cover for his activities.

Wow. Well, well, well. The Escapist is a piece of self serving word-spinn spewed out to get the most attention. This article re-print makes it seem as if he was trying to be judged insane. xD

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Let's not be sensationalists and change a fully functional law because of one guy.

21 Years, pending future evaluation is a great outcome and will in pretty much all certainty ensure the guy stays behind bars for the rest of his life.

He doesn't really deserve the honour of a law being changed just for him, that won't even affect his sentence due to it already being passed.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
oh great. why not kill him?? ah yes, right. how could i forget. human right system. why do i always think the middle ages had the best punishment?

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I wish that he had been declared insane. The basic punishment is higher in Norway and he (along with a lot of the rest of the world) would have seen it as invalidating his message, making it out to be the mad ravings of a delusional madman.