The 7th Guest Creator Says Games Focus on Profit, Not Fun

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
The 7th Guest Creator Says Games Focus on Profit, Not Fun

The former IGDA chairman thinks that a focus on profit results in less "imaginative gambles".

Games have come a long way from being presented as a big box on a retail shelf, given the prevalence of DLC, episodic content, and other types of micro-transactions. Former IGDA chairman Graeme Devine believes that the focus on attempting to make games more profitable is adversely affecting their quality, and is frustrated with the business strategies used by developers.

"Games are about being generous with fun, and too many designers are now focused on not being generous with the fun," he said. "Games are not black boxes you AB test into profit. They are wild imaginative gambles. That's how we got the genres we have today, by making those gambles, and not enough people are being inventive enough these days."

The Trilobyte co-founder (responsible for The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour) also claimed to be working on an adventure game to challenge the micro-transaction mindset and to move away from the staple genres of first-person shooters and RPGs. "I want to make an adventure game that crosses media ... that lives in books, comics, albums, as well as a 'classic' game," he said, with a focus on the player being the hero, rather than the player controlling another character on the screen.

It's up for debate as to whether or not micro-transactions make a game any less fun. If a game is well made and fun to play from the start, is there any harm in having micro-transactions to enhance the game even further? Or does it reduce games to an experience grind that necessitates the use of paid goods to win?

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/75464/former-igda-chairman-frustrated-at-direction-of-games-today]

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I really want to disparage his idea of fun with a joke about his previous work, but that seems too obvious.

So I'm just going to go to sleep.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
while i might agree with what he says, i will forever despise him for the Microscope puzzle in the observatory.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
This just in: Somebody connected to indie development takes a jab at AAA development. Now back to our story on a bear shitting in the woods.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Scrustle said:
In other news, the sky is blue and sun will set this evening.
I was shocked at your report last week on how water is wet, I had no idea but now you've opened my eyes.

Nov 28, 2007
Falterfire said:
This just in: Somebody connected to indie development takes a jab at AAA development. Now back to our story on a bear shitting in the woods.
7th Guest isn't exactly an indie game...it's more of a trendsetting game, as it was one of the first really popular FMV games, I believe.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Sounds about right. Damned if gamers will ever be willing to admit that to themselves, but there it is.

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
Falterfire said:
Along with 7th Guest, the article also says he worked on Quake III Arena and Halo Wars, so I wouldn't classify him as indie.

I read the headline and thought, "The sky is ruddy, the fate of the industry is bloody!"

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I'll admit our company has put out three crappy games just to make $$$. Our newest game coming out has a bit more quality, but still just a cash cow game.

We had a full team meeting last week. After the release of Brass, we have the resources we are going to ditch our previous development stuff and work on an truly fun PC-based game. We'll see how this goes.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Whatever this guy is on, give some of it to the EA Executives! - and their marketing department!

Heck! Refine it into the purest form possible and put the entire company on constant dozes of it. We might just see a miracle!

In a more serious tone, nothing that has not already been said (or figured out), was mentioned in his statement. But hey some soapboxing has never hurt anyone.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Point in case, Today i recieved a -50% off Any Saints Row 3 DLC coupon (In steam btw), and instead of being happy all i did was curse at the excistence of paid content that SHOULD ALREADY BE PART of the game.
Developers and Publishers and the whole AAA Industry just DOESN'T GET IT, DO THEY.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Ne1butme said:
while i might agree with what he says, i will forever despise him for the Microscope puzzle in the observatory.
There is no possible way that you could've found that difficult.
The worst one, if I recall correctly, was the skyscraper light puzzle.

Man, 7th Guest was a great game.

Annoyingly, the one piece of BGM I can remember is the one I can't find on Youtube.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Hipster developer: games must focus on art, not money.
You go enjoy your hipster-ness as your company goes under and dozens of people lose there jobs because you want it all to be about art.

Yes, games need to to focus on being fun, but they also need to make money. I don't think those are mutually exclusive, I also don't think every developer is doing nothing but thinking of money. I think developers can be concerned with making fun games even if the customer thinks they just want money. Customers tend to do that.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I was just thinking about how games have become somewhat too big the other day.. This kind of outlines my thoughts. How coincidental.