The 7th Guest Creator Says Games Focus on Profit, Not Fun

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Ne1butme said:
while i might agree with what he says, i will forever despise him for the Microscope puzzle in the observatory.
There is no possible way that you could've found that difficult.
The worst one, if I recall correctly, was the skyscraper light puzzle.

Man, 7th Guest was a great game.

Annoyingly, the one piece of BGM I can remember is the one I can't find on Youtube.
The skyscraper light puzzle actually had a solution. The microscope was against an AI that could use perfect play. Hell, even wikipedia says that it's an extremely difficult puzzle.

neverarine

Nov 18, 2009
well yeah... when games became acceptable by the mainstream public as an ok thing rather than something only for geeks and deviants it became an easy cash cow...

and yes micro transacrions kill games faster than dlc or drm....

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No kidding and that is exactly what's wrong with the industry today.
Although I think this has more to do with the Publishers than the Developers. I'd like to think that there are still some creative people working on the development side of things, but much of their enthusiasm and creativity gets squashed by the profiteering of the Publishers.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Ne1butme said:
Loop Stricken said:
Ne1butme said:
while i might agree with what he says, i will forever despise him for the Microscope puzzle in the observatory.
There is no possible way that you could've found that difficult.
The worst one, if I recall correctly, was the skyscraper light puzzle.

Man, 7th Guest was a great game.

Annoyingly, the one piece of BGM I can remember is the one I can't find on Youtube.
The skyscraper light puzzle actually had a solution. The microscope was against an AI that could use perfect play. Hell, even wikipedia says that it's an extremely difficult puzzle.
Oh wait, microscope.
See, I read it as telescope, which would make my reply hilarious.

Balls.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
The industry is new and ever-changing. History will remember the games that were artistically good, not profitable.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Stumbling upon this thread while browsing news makes me relish in the memories of my time playing 7th Guest and 11th Hour. Those were some great games... ``

... `` *remembers Loom as well, just for the sake of how awesome it was*

I hope companies get off the money train before it derails and crashes something terrible. Don't get me wrong, money train is a great ride, but in the end gaming is about making GAMES, not about making chores. Got enough of those in real life.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Says the guy who made the Eleventh Hour.

Maybe he doesn't aim for profit, but he sure as hell misses the "fun" target.