Valve Gets a Jump On Hardware

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Gets a Jump On Hardware

Valve is looking for an industrial engineer to help it "jump in" to the computer hardware space.

Rumors of Valve's entry into the console market came to light back in March, driven by a report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116139-Valve-May-Be-Entering-the-Console-Market-with-Steam-Box] about a Core i7-powered "Steam Box" that had actually been shown at the 2012 CES in January. Valve denied the stories, saying that it was simply putting together hardware configurations on which to test the upcoming Big Picture mode, but while that may be so, a newly-surfaced job posting for an industrial designer makes it clear - at least as clear as these things get - that Valve does in fact have something cooking.

The job posting calls for applicants who have, among many other qualifications, "6+ years of professional experience shipping world-class, high-tech hardware products," with expertise in "product design and manufacturing, ergonomics, usability, aesthetics, and surfacing." Even more telling is a paragraph stating flat-out that, to one degree or another, Valve is sticking its finger into the hardware socket.

"Valve is traditionally a software company... We're frustrated by the lack of innovation in the computer hardware space though, so we're jumping in," it says. "Even basic input, the keyboard and mouse, haven't really changed in any meaningful way over the years. There's a real void in the marketplace, and opportunities to create compelling user experiences are being overlooked."

Personally, I'd like to see the "compelling user experience" of Half-Life 3 getting a little more attention, but that seems to be just a happy pipe dream at this point. So if hardware it must be, what could be it?

Source: PCGamesN [http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So the current console generation is so stagnant that its forced Valve into action.

All things considered, thats no small feat.

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
I can almost imagine it now: Half-life 3, a launch day first-person shooter for Valve's interactive holo-deck.

Apr 28, 2008
It'll be funny to see Valve jump into the hardware market, and everyone else spending the next decade to try and catch up with them.

Kind of like how things happened in the digital marketplace. Though then again, perhaps these hardware companies will be more on the ball than Valve's main Digital Distribution competitors.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It sounds like it might be a peripheral. Barring that, probably some sort of thing for the PC.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Valve to the rescue!!! How will they make money this time? Stay tuned.

Seriously though, what can it be? Perhaps a crowbar peripheral to beat Barney with everytime he jokes about Gordon's Phd.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Well Valve is just Steam, not games. They rarely make games any more. An whats wrong with keyboard and mouse? They are perfect. Maybe include touch screen but even then, a keyboard and mouse is perfect.

Honestly, Valve has done fuck all over the last few years. Episodic gaming was there big thing thing, and they ended it with HF2:ep2....yes fans there will be no ep3. They ride the coat tails of that one game, Half Life, thats it. Nothing else. An even then HF wasnt that great, it was fun to play but wasnt the Jesus of games that people make it out to be.....mostly as those crab things look like plucked oven ready chickens.

They wont release hardware. Won't happen. It would be easier for them to sell steam online on xbox/PS3 than create a new piece of hardware.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Well Valve is just Steam, not games. They rarely make games any more.
Actually they don't make any less game then they ever did, Valve always had a slow release schedule, but they have at least a game release each year since 1998, except for 2002.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Well Valve is just Steam, not games. They rarely make games any more. An whats wrong with keyboard and mouse? They are perfect. Maybe include touch screen but even then, a keyboard and mouse is perfect.

Honestly, Valve has done fuck all over the last few years. Episodic gaming was there big thing thing, and they ended it with HF2:ep2....yes fans there will be no ep3. They ride the coat tails of that one game, Half Life, thats it. Nothing else. An even then HF wasnt that great, it was fun to play but wasnt the Jesus of games that people make it out to be.....mostly as those crab things look like plucked oven ready chickens.

They wont release hardware. Won't happen. It would be easier for them to sell steam online on xbox/PS3 than create a new piece of hardware.
What about Dota 2 and Counterstrike GO? Two games that Valve have recently been working on. One that just released and one that's been in open beta for the past half year or so with regular updates. What about Portal 2 and the recently released perpetual testing initiative? What about all the recent major updates to TF2?

Just because HL3 is still MIA doesn't mean that Valve isn't making games anymore...

Also steam already IS available on PS3 for free, but I know nothing about what features it brings other than cross platform play between PS3 and PC for Portal 2.

OT:I look forward to hearing more about this project of Valve's

wookiee777

Mar 5, 2012
Sounds like something for PC rather than a console thingy. God, I wish there were more consoles on the market.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Even basic input, the keyboard and mouse, haven't really changed in any meaningful way over the years.
First golden rule: never change a running system!
keyboard and mouse are working just fine! Please don't try to improve HL3 (when it's done) by changing the controls, that it works a little better for some stupid console with a stupid gamepad!

DeliciousTruffle

Sep 6, 2009
We've been using keyboards and mice since the eighties because they work. I don't need peripherals on my PC, that's what consoles are for.

There seem to be a ton of not-big 3 consoles and widgets on the horizon as this generation ends. I look forward to seeing some awe-inspiring crash and burn when they inevitably die.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Geisterkarle said:
First golden rule: never change a running system!
That a technician rule, Valve is mostly made up of engineers, and an engineer, that stop innovating, is just a crappy technician.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
So Half Life 3 to be a day-one release on this new hardware so they can wow us with the jump in technology?

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
I think it sounds like they are heading into making there own gaming peripherals makes a bit more sense than a console if you ask me.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
spacecowboy86 said:
I can almost imagine it now: Half-life 3, a launch day first-person shooter for Valve's interactive holo-deck.
My theory is that Valve needs to make a console, as only when console and pc are untied under the benevolence of Valve will Half Life 3 arrive :p

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
What would be a more appropriate name for a Valve consol than "Steam box"?
How about "Boiler"?

It does go with Valve and Steam.