Rumor: Omega DLC Data Found on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Omega DLC Data Found on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Content found on the Mass Effect 3 game disc may offer some insight into the upcoming Omega DLC.

About a month ago, an intrepid Mass Effect "data miner" dug up details about the conflict between Cerberus and Omega, the asteroid underworld run by Aria T'Loak, buried on the Mass Effect 3 game disc. It looked at the time like simple bits and pieces of content cut out during the production process, but with Aaryn Flynn's recent reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119654-BioWare-Were-Not-Done-With-Mass-Effect] of the forthcoming Omega DLC, it's suddenly taken on much greater significance.

There's no indication that the information on the game disc is in any way related to the planned DLC, and in fact it seems to conflict with the Cerberus/Omega subplot that was set up in the Mass Effect: Invasion pre-release comic. Still, consider yourself warned: If this information is accurate, there are huge spoilers ahead.

A summary of the set-up indicates that Aria remains in charge of Omega and has entered into a neutrality pact with Cerberus, leaving life on the station largely as it was in Mass Effect 2. But she eventually agrees to provide large quantities of eezo to the war effort against the reapers, leading Cerberus to attack; when that fails, it puts up a blockade in an effort to starve Omega out. Aria asks Shepard to board the Cerberus command ship and lift the blockade, after which things get really interesting.

"A notorious Cerberus tactician orchestrating the Omega blockade crashes on a planet after being attacked by Aria's raiders. Aria wants to grill the tactician and asks you to retrieve her before Cerberus does. Your shuttle down to the planet is rocked by a missile: Cerberus has had time to establish a defensive perimeter," according to the report.

"You are forced to make an emergency landing and must fight through patrols, traps and a deadly environment to get to the Cerberus ship," it continues. "Once there, you are confronted by Zaeed: He's signed on again with Cerberus as the tactician's bodyguard, and is determined to fulfill his contract. After a fight you have a chance to either persuade the merc that he's on the wrong side or finish off Zaeed. Either way, you take the tactician back to Omega."

It sounds entirely plausible as DLC and if it turns out that this is in fact BioWare's plan for Omega, the next question is whether this is cut content the studio decided to restore or the next step in a long-term DLC plan BioWare cooked up well before the release of the game. Or to put it another way, should we get mad because this stuff is on the disc, or be happy that lost content is being restored?

Source: holdtheline.com [http://www.holdtheline.com/threads/datamining-the-trilogy-aka-things-that-were-cut.2073/page-16#post-90958]

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Goddammit, here we go again. I can't wait for another 50 threads calling out Bioware and EA for whatever the hell people want to come up with this time.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Why not just, I dunno, nuke Omega if it's that much of a problem? Never seems to be anything but trouble.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Personally, I think that Mass Effect 3 was pretty much an unfinished product. And this only adds further credibility to my arguements. Although I'm personally done with Mass Effect as a franchise. (The third looked nice and the combat was fun. Its just that the dialogue trees left a lot to be desired.)

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
...Here we go again.

Did we dig Bioware/ME3 into a hole or did they dug themselves into a hole?

CPunchMaster

Aug 29, 2011
The stuff about Zaeed was in the leaked script, I believe. One of the elements of ME3 that was quite a bit different from the end product. Actually, the entire quest sounds like stuff from the leaked script, but I'd have to check that.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I?m waiting for the people to call ea and bioware Lucifer?s new apprentice because some files for a dlc were left on the disc.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Just what Bioware needs. People complaining about on disk dlc, which I think is wrong and I hate but I am sick of all the bitching. The way people ***** you would think that EA/Bioware was caught puching a group of babies.

I hate on disk dlc. I hated Dragon Age 2 and parts of Mass Effect 3, espacialy the ending, put come on people can we just have 1 week of peace form talking/bitching about Bioware/EA. Please.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Seeing as how Zaeed already has a role in ME3, I imagine they'll rewrite that bit. But on the whole, this sounds much more entertaining than those dreadful Leviathan missions...

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
I'm both surprised, humoured... and very much disturbed that people keep digging up cut content from the game - on the disc.

This is starting to reach KOTOR2 levels of cut content, when you add the rest dug up so far to it.

Oh well, in the words of Yahtzee during 'The Hour of Love': "It's like a fun scavenger hunt!", and apparently it is still going strong!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I just want to say that the comic prequel thing was really awful. Like, really bad.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Nihlus2 said:
I'm both surprised, humoured... and very much disturbed that people keep digging up cut content from the game - on the disc.

This is starting to reach KOTOR2 levels of cut content, when you add the rest dug up so far to it.

Oh well, in the words of Yahtzee during 'The Hour of Love': "It's like a fun scavenger hunt!", and apparently it is still going strong!
that's 3 things not 2, and why should I have to pay money for a scavenger hunt that I already paid money for, but according to the publisher "yes you paid money for the disc, but you have no ownership of the content on the disk"

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Nihlus2 said:

It was the same thing for ME2. There's some precursor stuff on the disc to make it intergrate with the game well, but the content for the DLC was not finished before the game launched, which is why it's coming out later rather than day 1.

Apr 28, 2008
Why would Cerberus want to attack Omega? What value could a mined-out husk of an asteroid full of pirates possibly contain to warrant an invasion and then a blockade? If they wanted to eliminate the pirates, why didn't they just bomb the thing from a distance?

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
gardian06 said:
that's 3 things not 2, and why should I have to pay money for a scavenger hunt that I already paid money for, but according to the publisher "yes you paid money for the disc, but you have no ownership of the content on the disk"
Aside from the fact that what you said is actually true (it works this way with all software, not just games), none of the Mass Effect 3 DLC is on the disc. The Jaivk DLC had some files, but not a lot, you still had to download over 600 mb worth of data when the game came out to get him.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
*Rubs Temples* Really? Can we please just put this game out of it's misery? It's becoming all too easy to complain about this game now it's not even funny. First Multiplayer, then Prerelease DLC, then the On-disk Prothean, The Ending, "affirming" the Ending, Pay-to-win Multiplayer, Tali Photoshop, and now this. Just stop... please, just... *gets up and walks away*

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Eh.

It's EA Bioware, it's highly unlikely anything on the disc is "Lost".

You're talking about a company that's streamlined to produce the best game in can in the least amount of time.

They're not going to waste time with "Lost Content" that's never going to see the light of day, especially not something as fleshed out as this.

At the very least, the idea was being worked upon during the development of the main game.

Which is slightly worrying given the issues with the base game.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Irridium said:
Why would Cerberus want to attack Omega? What value could a mined-out husk of an asteroid full of pirates possibly contain to warrant an invasion and then a blockade? If they wanted to eliminate the pirates, why didn't they just bomb the thing from a distance?
Access to the Omega 4 relay, and what is now known to be on the other side. When Aria starts helping the Alliance/Council, that puts her at odds with Cerberus. So, if Cerberus want to continue studying the Collector Base (or, based on your decisions, what's left of it) the they have to remove Aria and her forces.

Other then that? Well, the Terminus Systems is a huge place with vast resources, most of which has to terminate at, or at least pass through, Omega. So long as Cerberus could effectively hold it (which they could. I mean, as mean as the gangsters are, they're hardly going to be good at organised resistance) then Omega would be a huge steal for Cerberus.