Blizzard Ponders Bruce Campbell's Role in Warcraft Film

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard Ponders Bruce Campbell's Role in Warcraft Film

With director Sam Raimi officially tied [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93330-Sam-Raimi-Set-to-Direct-Warcraft-Movie] to the Warcraft movie, the question is not "will Bruce Campbell be in the film," but rather, "who will he play?"

Okay, okay. It's true that Sam Raimi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Campbell] has directed, but... well, look at their respective lists, and you'll find that it's pretty close.

So with Raimi tapped to helm the upcoming feature film set in the world of Blizzard's popular Warcraft series, the question being bandied around at Blizzard's Irvine, CA headquarters seems to be a matter of wondering just who the cult-film icon will play. At least, that's what VP of creative development Chris Metzen said during the Warcraft "Epic Loot" panel at Comic-Con.

"I keep thinking [Campbell] might make a killer Goblin," said Metzen, "He's got a kick ass chin." In all seriousness, though Campbell might be a bit tall to play one of the pint-sized Warcraft Goblins, Metzen mentioned that he could see the actor in a CGI role, a la Andy Serkis' turn as Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Metzen was apparently unable to comment further on the upcoming film other than mentioning that the PC powerhouse had been "prepping all engines to rock." While we can't - and shouldn't - take Raimi's involvement or even Metzen's comments as a gospel promise that Campbell will be attached to the product, we can hope and dream, right?

Many people who have played Warcraft III may remember the Dwarven Mortar Team's shoutout to Campbell's famous "This is my boomstick!" line, so there's my vote: Bruce Campbell should play a Dwarven mortar team. By himself.

Either that, or High Overlord Saurfang.

(Edit: Whoops. That was the Dwarven Rifleman, not the Mortar Team.)

(Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5321385/whats-the-most-important-warcraft-movie-casting-decision])

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Many people who have played Warcraft III may remember the Dwarven Mortar Team's shoutout to Campbell's famous "This is my boomstick!" line, so there's my vote. Bruce Campbell should play a Dwarven mortar team. By himself.
The awesome thing is that he could totally do it, and it'd be amazing.

Alternatively, I could definitely see him playing a bunch of Goblins. I mean, he did the whole "multiple selves" thing in Army of Darkness, so he could pull it off now.

Unreliable

Jul 14, 2009
He can play a chaotic good male warrior named Madmartigan, whose madcap shenanigans and valiant swordsmanship win the day for the noble hobbits on their quest to defeat the evil witch.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I'd love it to be full of angry nerds. Using all sorts of WoW talk. It would be amazing.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Bruce Campbell

Still, I'm worried of the thought of Bruce Campbell in the Warcraft movie.
For his sake, of course.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
WrongSprite said:
I'd love it to be full of angry nerds. Using all sorts of WoW talk. It would be amazing.
The Villain could be a level 58 Death Knight who keeps rolling need on healing gear.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
How about Bruce Campbell plays as everybody. He's the only actor in the entire movie playing like 50 different roles... IT would be sweet at hell

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
He should be Tirion Fordring, and he should keep yelling about the Ash-Bringer :p

In all seriousness, I kinda have him down as either a Goblin (although I like the idea of him playing LOTS of Goblins) or a Dwarf with a gigantic rifle. I don't like the Dwarf idea too much 'cos it'd obscure his chin...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Chipperz said:
He should be Tirion Fordring, and he should keep yelling about the Ash-Bringer :p

In all seriousness, I kinda have him down as either a Goblin (although I like the idea of him playing LOTS of Goblins) or a Dwarf with a gigantic rifle. I don't like the Dwarf idea too much 'cos it'd obscure his chin...
The Warcraft movie's going to be set between RoC/TFT and WoW. Tirion Fordring will still be sat in his shack on the border of the Eastern Plaguelands. ;>

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Way to bring up the DMT, but it was the Dwarven Riflemen who had the "This is my boomstick" line.

And dimes to dollars it'd be High Overlord Saurfang.

Sigel

Jul 6, 2009
vultureX21 said:
Bruce Campbell as Leroy Jenkins. That one writes itself.
Damn it!! ninja'd. I was just talking about this with friends. How badass would that be!

vultureX21

Feb 26, 2009
Sigel said:
vultureX21 said:
Bruce Campbell as Leroy Jenkins. That one writes itself.
Damn it!! ninja'd. I was just talking about this with friends. How badass would that be!
Just picture whoever the main characters are meeting Leroy along the road and all the eccentric behavior Campbell would inject into that role. Hell you could even have the leads end up in Leroy's fateful raid party.