253: Phoenix Wright's Objection!

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooow... I can never look at my favorite DS game series the same way again.

Good article, very well written.

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
Noxshadow said:
Good article, but there's one minor nitpick I have.
Pheonix doesn't use any magic or spiritual stuff at all. It's all Maya and Pearl.
I can defiantly see how some prosecutors are held in higher regard than Judges. I'm playing the first game (Ace Attorney) and the prosecutor is Baron von Karma, the man who, in his fifty year career has not only never lost a case, but never received a fine or penalty. He outright bosses the judge around; "You have one job in this court, and that is to bang you gavel and say 'Guilty'."
Well, Manfred did receive one penalty. He did win the case though.

EDIT: Also, to reply to the article:
Despite ultimately coming to realize that the truth is more important than convictions, Edgeworth remains as proud and supercilious as ever. The prosecutors of Ace Attorney, virtually without exception, are portrayed as unscrupulous egomaniacs.
I don't know, I thought Edgeworth cut down on the superciliousness later on. Yeah, he's still supercilious, but he's not as supercilious, and being that way is part of the character's charm...Ace Attorney Investigations wouldn't have been as entertaining without his constant snarking.

Klavier (prosecutor in Apollo Justice) is definitely pretty decent though. Some fans have actually complained that he's too nice, to the point where he makes the game too easy with how much he's willing to help you out.

Shaun Hentchel

May 13, 2010
I actually just got done writing an essay on the legal systems in different countries as a comparative politics take home final. One of the sources I cited stated "In this way Japan can still be considered an Imperial country because of the power many of the elites possess through the court system."

I hadn't read this article at the time, if I had I definitely would have cited it as well. That might have hurt my grade but definitely would have may my essay more awesome.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Great article.

I never really thought about the legal system in Japan, even though I was born there.

Now I know.

Gamergyrl

Apr 17, 2008
I lived in Japan for two years, and I've had things like this happen to friends of mine. I think they have a ten day holding period, but that can be renewed countless times. I've been stopped by the police before being "in the wrong neighborhood," and I've heard rumors that they try to make foreigners sign confessions that are written purely in Japanese. I'm thankful that this article was written to let the Western world know what really goes on in the Japanese legal system. I will admit I'm a bit jaded, but I'm hoping that the lay judge system will bring changes. I know it won't immediately, but it's something to look forward to.

That said, I never would have made those connections to Phoenix Wright! I lived there when the games were coming out, but I still never thought of it. Very insightful!

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
toriver said:
VondeVon said:
Fintan Monaghan said:
3 professional judges and 6 lay-judges. ...it is hoped these lay-judges will bring fresh perspectives and won't be so entrenched in the status quo.
Well at least one entrenched judge must change their perspective or the fresh lay-judges won't mean anything! :S
OBJECTION!

(Just had to do it... ;) )

It's actually the other way around. If the majority of the lay judges find the defendant not guilty, the acquittal stands. One professional judge has to agree to a guilty verdict in order for it to stand.
Really? I think I prefer that to "the majority vote must include at least one professional and one lay judge".

...Wait, I've been assuming the lay judges are the young new ones.. they are, aren't they?

toriver said:
EDIT: The bolded word... is that misspelling intentional?
Freudian slip. :D

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
VondeVon said:
Really? I think I prefer that to "the majority vote must include at least one professional and one lay judge".

...Wait, I've been assuming the lay judges are the young new ones.. they are, aren't they?
Yes. Each jury trial consists of 3 professional judges and 6 "lay judges", or citizen jurors. They essentially work together to determine a verdict. If the majority of the lay judges agree to a "not guilty" verdict, it goes through regardless of the decision of the professional judges. If the majority agrees to a "guilty" verdict, at least one professional judge has to agree. But in the current judicial culture in Japan, that shouldn't be difficult at all.

Big Bad Jon

May 21, 2009
Wow.

The thing that's always, always bothered me about the PW games is the burden of proof. A prosecutor only has to suggest a theory and every time, every chapter, every trial it's up to the poor attourney to find actual hard evidence to disprove that spurious theory. Now i'm not saying that's what happens in a Japanes courtroom, but from reading this article I'm curious as to how far from the truth is that?

You've given me a lot to ponder, thank you.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Very nice article. I always knew the games reflect the Japanese legal system but I did not know all the details as outlined in this article. Let's hope the system really changes for the good. Nobody should be sentenced for something he didn't do, no matter in what country.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Where I live the condemnations are often too lightly and it is very hard to put people with a little wealth behind bars.

Maybe it is related to the fact that Brazil is in southwest and Japan in northeast, total opposition.

turbo_girl

May 16, 2010
Excellent article. As a big fan of the Ace Attorney series and a lifelong student of Japanese culture, I was surprised to learn about the real-life connection. It just goes to show you how even a great localization can be misleading. The game material and other sources emphasize how the court system depicted in the games is fictional, so I never even gave it a second thought. I always admired the games for being well written and intelligent (while also being hyperbolic and fun-loving) and this new connection makes me admire the team even more for their boldness. When I first heard of the games all those years ago, I thought it was supposed to be wacky, like they tried to pick the most unlikely occupation for a main character for kicks. But now get it... Phoenix Wright is like the legal Dark Knight!

I'd really love to read more from this author.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Very interesting. Sounds an awful lot like the system in China. Only China's is worse. I know of people who are working to change that too though. A friend of mine, a law professor there, is working on reform, mostly regarding prisoners rights. Like you were saying about Japan, right now in China there are no rules about how interrogations are conducted. Lawyers are never present, and coercion and sometimes flat our beatings and torture are often used as means of securing a confession. Reform is a slow but worthwhile process. Glad Japan is coming around.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
So I guess it's a good thing that Japan has the lowest crime rate in the world? Less innocents jailed, more incompetent police? Not entirely sure what to think.

Such a great series, but hard to believe it resembles the law system anywhere. Scary, letting a single person judge your innocence in a real courtroom. And forcing people to make false confessions, wtf is the point?

Popcicle42

Feb 25, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
Ravek said:
Typical how the author suggests that the best way to fix it is a jury system, which is probably the single worst idea in American court proceedings.
This.

Iceland (my homeland) doesn't have a Jury system. Instead their are a number of judges who decide if or not the person on trial is guilty or not.

I have never understood why anyone would want to allow a bunch of random people who know nothing about the law (besides basic shit that everybody knows) be the deciding factor in tough criminal cases. If the person judging me is biased, then I would much rather get screwed by a biased judge who knows shit instead of some wanker who lives around the corner.
"Grass is always greener on my side of the fence?", to mutilate the saying. I'd rather have 12 of my peers have to all agree that I'm guilty, then one guy dispensing justice. Also, once you enter the appeals process, the appelate courts are jury-less, with anywhere from 3 to 9 judges presiding anyway.

I could find common ground, and just use a 7-9 judge system straight out of the door. But one guy being "judge, jury and executioner"; ie giving out the sentence, is a terrifying concept to me.