EMP Missile Is No Longer Science-Fiction

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
EMP Missile Is No Longer Science-Fiction

Taking out computers without any other damage might be a future weapon made real this week.

EMP blasts have been featured in stories and movies for years. Usually, the bad guys use the electromagnetic pulse to damage all electronic equipment at the hero's base, or the hero stealthily sneaks an EMP device into the evil robot's breakfast or something. What's never been accomplished is a delivery system for an EMP that's actually usable in modern warfare and not just in Call of Duty. That is, until a successful test in Utah of the CHAMP missile system from the Boeing Company knocked out computers in seven different buildings, including the video camera filming the test, all without causing any explosive damage.

The CHAMP - or Counter-electronics High-powered Advanced Missile Project, if you're nasty - was fired over a few mock buildings at the Utah Test and Training Range in Western Utah. The target wasn't Mormons, it was the electronics in those buildings and the monitors went dark after the missile blasted the building with high power microwaves.

[boeing=1913200772001]

"This technology marks a new era in modern-day warfare," said Keith Coleman, the manager of this project for Boeing. "In the near future, this technology may be used to render an enemy's electronic and data systems useless even before the first troops or aircraft arrive.

"Today we turned science fiction into science fact," Coleman continued.

Now that the technology seems to be successful, and the Commander-in-Chief of the United States has reiterated his reliance on drone aircraft and military methods that don't put personnel at risk, we might see CHAMP utilized on the next battlefield.

"We know this has some capabilities and some impact, we're really trying to engage the customer to see if there is a way we can actually get this fielded and implemented sooner than later," said James Dodd, vice president of Advanced Boeing Military Aircraft.

The "customer" he's talking about can only be the United States Department of Defense. Unless he means Dr. Evil.

Source: Boeing [http://www.boeing.com/Features/2012/10/bds_champ_10_22_12.html]

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Question is, are Faraday cages going to become the next hot item in near-future warfare?

All in all, though, this is cool. Should've been kept a secret, though, until its first use. Surprise is a powerful weapon, too.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Interesting they've been able to construct a mobile powered system to deliver an EMP blast. I wonder if it's intercept-able by missile. Or would once the incoming missile enter the blast range would have it's systems shorted out.

I guess this makes the Graphite Bomb obsolete.

I guess foreign countries will need to instal EMP shielding to their most important assets and such.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I'm sure this in no way was conceived as a way of dealing with a particular middle eastern nation's extremely extensive, but very aged, air defense network...

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
DVS BSTrD said:
Let's hope we manage to stay Onatopp of this technology.
I will be Trevelyan to the next country over if you do not mind.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I always though EMP bombs were a cool piece of tech in science fiction games and whatnot.

Not so much anymore since that is pretty fucking scary that it's an actual thing now.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Guess it's time to invest in copper mesh, the trick will be to faraday shield my hardware while leaving all the antenna's exposed, I wander if the antenna on my NIC is grounded?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Greg Tito said:
"Today we turned science fiction into science fact," Coleman continued.
For a moment there I thought they had made Gary Coleman their official PR speaker, hitting two birds with one stone and declaring their EMP can not only destroy electrics but also reanimate the dead.
Zombie Coleman away!

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
omicron1 said:
Question is, are Faraday cages going to become the next hot item in near-future warfare?

All in all, though, this is cool. Should've been kept a secret, though, until its first use. Surprise is a powerful weapon, too.
I don't think you realize what a faraday cage actually is/does. a faraday cage is a metal structure created out of metal (typically iron, or steel) rods that when placed at given distances from each other create a wall for high frequency waves. much like a cell phone, and other radio frequency based systems.

this is based on the principle that the rods reflect the steady signal back on itself, and create interference in the form of noise. this does not stop the waves from passing through the "wall" it just causes interference from clear/constant signal. and realistically most building constructed after the 1990s technically are feraday cages because of the amount of re-bar the is required by building codes for all structures taller then 3 stories, and different compositions of buildings were probably included in the test (to see what if anything could block/minimize it)

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
Bah, beat to the Faraday cage. Was gonna say it's time to kit out my computer room with one. Copper wire wallpaper! Mind you, to block out microwaves, it's gonna be more like copper plating wallpaper...

Then again, I live in the middle of fucking nowhere. No one would use an EMP weapon here, they'd just assume we have no threatening technology.

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
gardian06 said:
That's to block things like radio. This is microwave. Higher frequency. Can penetrate the huge gaps.

And I thought the cage had to be contiguous. You know, interconnected all around, like an actual cage. So rebar in concrete wouldn't work.

Spydercake

Oct 29, 2010
While this is awesome, I still can't help but concentrate on the PC in the back at 0:41 in this video.
"Oh god this taste horrible! I AIN'T EATING THIS SHIT!" *spits out disk*

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Aren't most modern armies already prepared for a nuclear attack scenario? including the EMP that follows said nuke.