254: The Games That Bind

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
interesting how people with same interests can live toguether...

i hate that i´m the only guy that could be called a geek in my town... i would love to have a girlfriend like that :p

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Aw, sounds like my boyfriend and I. I have happy memories of him playing Chrono Trigger on PS1 while I sat on the sofa next to him playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on my DS. It was highly amusing as one of us would randomly swear at something, not knowing the context. I think at one point he paused his game to ask me why the hell there were snipers in a FF game, heehee.

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
That was very sweet.
The closest I've experienced, was Zelda: Twilight Princess, funnily enough. I'd sit on the computer, then steadily getting drawn into what was happening in the game, ending up cheering along, pointing stuff out and just generally chatting about the game together as it was played.

Cucipher

May 19, 2009
Great piece, and a great example of how games being labelled as anti-social is plain silly.

I've enjoyed many many hours playing single player and multiplayer games in my living room with my friends. It's always fun, even if its just swapping controllers during GTA rampages. It's the headset-online-multiplayer stuff I tend not to get, cos there's such a huge disconnect.

aka.nonsense

May 13, 2010
Awesome article! It's always nice to see how something as simple as gaming can define our lives in such meaningful ways.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Well, damn. A source of inspiration and hope in the gamer atmosphere that often seems so inescapably negative.

Thanks for sharing this.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
LOL THIS WAS>..LOL

It made me remember the times when i set a goal to myself to get myself a gf with which i can play games xD
Hell ur mariage sounds amazing :O

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
So adorable! Video games are kinds what led me to my boyfriend, so I owe them something. I'm the girlfriend that keeps a guide open on the computer for when my bf needs it. Or I also occasionally like to reclaim my title as "The Goddess of Strategy Games and RPG's".

Narella

May 19, 2010
I met my husband in World of Warcraft - we bonded over farming for herbs in Zangarmarsh (he was also my guild leaders brother) - best decisions I ever made in my life were a.) starting to play WoW and b.) Taking the initiative to start talking to him one night.

It always makes me sad when I see articles that talk about how horrible gaming is for people/relationships - it's nice to see an article like this for a change :D

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
I love this article. Reminds me of when my gf desperately tries to be "good" at Lego Star Wars just so she could play with me. I even had to promise her to never touch the game unless she's there to play with me.

I'm glad games are bringing people together. These stories are always awesome.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A beautiful article. And it makes me hurt like hell.

I met a girl too, almost a year ago now. She too lives many miles away, we too play games together. 2 Days ago I happily drove up to her in BF:BC2 and honked the horn of my ATV so we could cruise together. It's awesome. A shame we can't actually talk to each other, but still so much fun.

And I too have fallen madly in love with her. More so, in fact, it's not a simple crush, I know that. But with each passing day, the hope that it ever becomes what the article's couple has shrinks a little bit. I know I don't want to be with anyone else than her, but it's not so simple for her. And that hurts, a lot.

I can see that many people see this article as a beacon of hope, and I wished it is too for me, but sadly it makes me hurt even more. I don't know how to handle this whole situation anymore...

LadyCatra

Princess TLDR
Nov 20, 2009
My, now husband, and I bonded over CounterStrike a little over ten years ago now.

For the longest time (pre console ownership) I used to watch him play on the PC or I'd join in a remote co-op mode. Later, finally caved and bought a PS2 and 360 and found the joy in sharing the controller for many many games since.

It's so much more interactive than just watching the TV (although we do that too) -- we really seem to connect more as a couple while playing.

I couldn't imagine our lives without video games - it brings out the kid in us and our relationship.

Visuality

Apr 2, 2010
While i appreciate the sentiment, the bioware fan in me was going...it can't have been baldur's gate you were talking about then if kotor was what created your bioware fangirlism, while black isle oversaw them it was bioware who really made them ¬_¬

Also, go you and your husband.

The last lady, YEAH CS. Win.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
A beautiful article. And it makes me hurt like hell.

I met a girl too, almost a year ago now. She too lives many miles away, we too play games together. 2 Days ago I happily drove up to her in BF:BC2 and honked the horn of my ATV so we could cruise together. It's awesome. A shame we can't actually talk to each other, but still so much fun.

And I too have fallen madly in love with her. More so, in fact, it's not a simple crush, I know that. But with each passing day, the hope that it ever becomes what the article's couple has shrinks a little bit. I know I don't want to be with anyone else than her, but it's not so simple for her. And that hurts, a lot.

I can see that many people see this article as a beacon of hope, and I wished it is too for me, but sadly it makes me hurt even more. I don't know how to handle this whole situation anymore...
Step 1) Let her know you have feelings for her.
Step 2) If Step 1 goes well, bus ticket.

(Worked for me!)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
JEBWrench said:
Step 1) Let her know you have feelings for her.
Step 2) If Step 1 goes well, bus ticket.

(Worked for me!)
1: Did that, good gods how I did that. She too 'likes me more than she maybe should', or something like that.
2: Requires a wee little bit more than that. The difference is 16.000 km's. So yeah.

I just don't know anymore.

CronoDAS

Sep 24, 2009
Awww. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SugarWiki/CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming]

Enjoy your happily ever after!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
My girlfriend and I are currently in a long distance relationship, and World of Warcraft has always been something that's binded us together... I'm an idiot, and will often forget what playing WoW means to her.. and in those moments, I don't want to play it anymore. She's kind of gotten used to me leaving the game for months at a time, but I always come back.

It really isn't the same as the situation in the article (although, if our stars finally align maybe one day), but WoW has really been a binder in our relationship (and at times, when my dislike for the game erupts, has led to some of our biggest arguments).

A couple that games together stays together though.. She doesn't have too much in the way of games, WoW is pretty much it for her, but I've been trying to expand her repetoire. She is constantly telling me she wants to play games on the 360, but she doesn't own one.. So I keep telling her that when she comes and sees me, she'll be able to play them all.. and I have a list.. and I intend to find those games when she does arrive and help her play them.

I posted this article on her facebook wall though, because I think she'll really like it. Thank you for writing it :)

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
This sounds like EXACTLY what I'm gonnna be like. Without a doubt. Games have bonded me with so many people, so yeah.