It's Time to Retake Omega!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's Time to Retake Omega!

The Mass Effect 3: Omega DLC arrives tomorrow, and that means the Omega launch trailer is here today.

The theme of Mass Effect 3: Omega seems to be "think intergalactically, act locally." Commander Shepard and his crew are in the midst of saving the galaxy from the relentless onslaught of nigh-unstoppable death machines from beyond the rim, but that doesn't mean they can't take a break to help a local gangster recover her turf.

That, more or less, is the setup in the latest Mass Effect 3 expansion, which finally digs into the conflict between Omega boss Aria T'Loak and Cerberus, the human supremacist group that has somehow managed to wrest control of the wretched hive of scum and villainy from her grasp. As the point man of the intergalactic community's last, desperate defense against the Reapers, Commander Shepard must ensure that this small, run-down station out in the middle of nowhere remains lawless, brutal and beyond the control of any sovereign power.

Omega will introduce the Adjutant, a new Reaper enemy under the control of Cerberus, and Nyreen Kandros, "the valiant Turian leader of the Talon mercenary group" who's "fighting to free the enslaved people of Omega." And of course you'll finally get to see Aria show off some of the moves that put her at the top of the Omega food chain, rather than just sitting around looking too cool for school.

Mass Effect 3: Omega [http://www.masseffect.com/downloads/omega/] comes out on November 27 - yes, that's tomorrow - for the Xbox 360 and PC, and November 28 for the PlayStation 3.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I like the constant digging at the rather strange timing of this DLC. It does seem rather odd that uniting armies to stop the entire galaxy being screwed takes a back seat to helping a gangster take back their territory.

Although that said, it's not that much different from the side quests you get in most RPG's with urgent main quests. Except the having to pay extra for it part.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Woooooooocares....

Seriously though...

Although, I might reconsider my stance if I get to put a shotgun in Aria's mouth and see her try to smug her way out of space-buckshot.

Also, "Adjutant?" Is Bioware reduced to ripping of Starcraft of all things now?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Legion said:
I like the constant digging at the rather strange timing of this DLC. It does seem rather odd that uniting armies to stop the entire galaxy being screwed takes a back seat to helping a gangster take back their territory.

Although that said, it's not that much different from the side quests you get in most RPG's with urgent main quests. Except the having to pay extra for it part.
well, remember that Omega is basically a mercenary hub
so it probably is being done with the mentality that rescuing Omega gives you access to a whoooole fucking lot of pissed off mercenaries and soldiers that are specialized in doing "dirty work"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Not sure why the video was removed, but it's back. Sorry for any confusion.

Aug 1, 2010
YES YES YES

FUCK YES.

As soon as I talked to Aria, I was waiting for this mission.

Can't wait.

Oh and here's the video for anyone who actually wants to watch it.

EDIT: Nevermind. OP fixed everything.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
"The Talon Company from the Capital Wasteland now goes galactic with Talon Mercenaries Group, brought to you by the Talon Corporation."

Loved the article by the way. Years of psychological scarring must have gone into perfecting sarcasm of that caliber.

Apr 28, 2008
teh_Canape said:
Legion said:

so it probably is being done with the mentality that rescuing Omega gives you access to a whoooole fucking lot of pissed off mercenaries and soldiers that are specialized in doing "dirty work"
But wouldn't Cerberus have killed or indoctrinated them all? That would be the smart thing to do.

Oh, wait. I forgot, this is Cerberus. "Smart" isn't their MO.

NEDM

Apr 13, 2010
Legion said:

I look at it like this. Spoilers for those that haven't played the mass effect games, mainly 2 and 3

Omega is where staging ground near the omega relay, where they are bringing in collector tech (either from the destroyed base remains, or the base left whole) to use against Team Shepard. The best way to slow or stop Cerberus is to cripple his access to advanced weapons and such. Ruin your enemy's supply lines, you ruin your enemy. We aren't helping Aria get her throne back, we are helping ourselves out at the small cost of helping a criminal out. Which easily falls in line with the rest of the series.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
teh_Canape said:
Legion said:

"Adjutant" was a word before Starcraft. So were "reaver" and "banshee".

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
The Crotch said:
teh_Canape said:
Legion said:

"Adjutant" was a word before Starcraft. So were "reaver" and "banshee".
wrong person, dude

Irridium said:
well, they were cartoonishly evil, hell in ME3 you may as well have given the illusive man a twirly mustache a top-hat

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
matrix3509 said:
Also, "Adjutant?" Is Bioware reduced to ripping of Starcraft of all things now?
That was a silly thing to say. You know that was a very silly thing to say.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I... don't... care. I mean I wish I had something more meaningful to say and I'm a huge ME fan... I just... don't care anymore about a game that was released in March.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Swyftstar said:
I... don't... care. I mean I wish I had something more meaningful to say and I'm a huge ME fan... I just... don't care anymore about a game that was released in March.
I just don't are anymore about a game that was released in march with a godawful, series ruining ending and a company with abysmal customer relations that's hemmoraging talent.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
wombat_of_war said:
still amazes me the series has gone from my favourite game franchise pretty much to now barely noticing if they release additional content for it
Almost true for me. I'm still at the stage where I check out the news feeds and such pretty often and every time BioWare opens its mouth about anythinmg, it feels like a sharp kick to my inner child.