Black Ops II Reaches $1 Billion Milestone Faster Than MW3

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Black Ops II Reaches $1 Billion Milestone Faster Than MW3

Call of Duty remains a sales juggernaut, despite analysts' worries.

When Activision chose not to reveal the 5-day sales total for Black Ops II - a figure announcement that had become a yearly tradition for new Call of Duty titles - some analysts cried foul. Well it seems there was little cause for alarm, as the newest Black Ops title has reached the $1 billion sales milestone in just 15 days. Modern Warfare 3 reached eclipsed that lofty figure in 16 days.

In a press release, Activision also notes that it took James Cameron's Avatar 17 days to reach the mark, just for a bit of perspective.

"Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for Harry Potter and Star Wars, the two most successful movie franchises of all time," explains Activision Blizzard CEO, Bobby Kotick.

CEO of Activision Publishing, Eric Hirshberg is also predictably upbeat, noting "In order for Call of Duty to remain the entertainment juggernaut that it is, and keep our fans coming back for more, we need to continue to bring fresh ideas and new innovations to the table every time, while always staying true to what people fell in love with in the first place. That's what we did with Call of Duty: Black Ops II and that's what we intend to keep on doing."

The company also boasts that 150 million hours of Black Ops II have been played across Xbox Live and PSN since launch, not including playtime on the PC version.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am not surprised in the slightest.

Although the games sell better each year, it seems they do more advertising as well. I wonder if the actual profit increases are noticeable if there are any.

Dec 14, 2009
Why?

Why aren't people getting tired of this yet?

Hell, I like Call of Duty and I still can't fathom why each sequel sells more and more copies.

It boggles the fucking mind...

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
I wonder if they adjusted their sales to compare copies of games sold ($60-70 in North America) to tickets sold ($10-15)

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011

Man, CoD makes for some of the must predictable and uninteresting news in gaming.

"...fresh ideas and new innovations..."
I don't think I'm gonna bite.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
So this [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/29/analyst-black-ops-2-sales-a-cause-for-concern-downgrades-act/] was a complete kneejerk then?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Why?

Hell, I like Call of Duty and I still can't fathom why each sequel sells more and more copies.

Im putting it down to the increases in marketing.

All those years ago the TV and internet were realatively devoid of CoD4 ads.

Today, BlOps 2 ads are everywhere.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
They have their niche and they do that niche very well, they cant be faulted for quality. What they can be faulted for is same old same old. I really hope they either go back to WW2 or even WW1 or just go straight out futuristic wars. They need to change it up a bit, make it more story based and interesting. But judging by those figures i doubt they will change a successful formula.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
With the amazing class customization system they have brought to their latest CoD installment, it's hard to imaging just how they can top it in the next one. While the while emblem creator is nothing new, I must say, in this one I actually felt motivated to be creative and spent a good 45mins just working mine (which, in my opinion, is nothing short of brilliance). So far, the only real complaint I have about Black Ops 2 is the fact that campers still exist, but it's not like Activision can change those people. Unless, y'know, they design a perk that can counter that or something. I mean it's really not a bad strategy if you're actually defending something, but where's the fun in watching a doorway, constantly waiting for someone to enter your sights? Anywho, I'm glad to see this game as successful as it is, 'cause I am having loads of fun with it. Don't even get me started on Zombies. Just...a blast every time.

Shemming

Jun 12, 2010
Im hoping the next game finally sells less.
Everyone I know who's bought this have found it disappointing.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
This is great news. After COD's success, maybe other companies will finally realize that there is a market for military shooters.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Why?

I used to like CoD. I liked MW1, it was new at the time. I liked WaW, it had pretty good multiplayer and Zombies. I even liked MW2 in a action blockbuster kinda way. But BlOps 1 was the tipping point for me. I just couldn't stand the waek, America fuck yeah singleplayer or the godawfully unbalanced multiplayer. I really wish Spec Ops: The Line had sold more. Maybe then BlOps 2 wouldn't have got this big.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Wintermute said:
This is great news. After COD's success, maybe other companies will finally realize that there is a market for military shooters.
...please tell me you're joking.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Why?

Kids mainly.

I personally like the franchise and generally buy the next one when it comes out, but thats just me being a loyal customer, I've been playing these since Medal of Honour Allied Assault.

Its expanding because of the increasing army of 10 to 12 year olds who get their folks to buy the game for them, and the 10 to 12 year old who were there for Black ops 1 or MW3 are now 12 to 14, and own their first COD (BO, or MW3) and now BO2, and the 10 to 12 years olds present before them whose first copy was MW2 now have three copies (etc. etc. etc.)

As for why i personally am not tired of it... well its electronic chewing gum man. When I need to chill and am too tired mentally to play an RPG or something more substantial i throw on a COD, and switch off for 30 mins. COD has been nice tasting chewing gum since it was the original MOH.