BioShock Infinite Hit With Another Delay

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
BioShock Infinite Hit With Another Delay

Your ticket to Columbia just got put on hold, but only temporarily.

Before I and the rest of the journalists who had assembled for the BioShock Infinite preview event on Thursday were allowed to put our hands on the game, Ken Levine spoke briefly about the project as a whole. While it was largely upbeat news regarding Irrational's new title, he also revealed that the game would not meet its February 2013 launch date. The latest entry into the BioShock saga will launch instead on March 26, 2013.

When speaking about the delay, Levine noted that while the game is progressing fantastically - and you can read my own impressions in a hands-on preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10082-BioShock-Infinite-Hands-On-Preview]just published - Infinite could use one more round of "polishing and bug fixing" before it hits store shelves.

While news of a delay is never easy to take, especially when it comes to a game as anticipated as Infinite, this one appears to be for the best. During my play time with the title, there were a few unfortunate bits of slowdown and some awkward loading pauses even during combat, so it's best to get these things ironed out before release.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Could Mr. Ken Levine be one of the very few game developers who can say to a publisher "wait, we need more polish" and get that time?

Or is it really that buggy? :p

But after all that, I'm gonna have to change a date in my iCalendar. How freaking inconsiderate is that.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
A one month delay is a small price to pay for a considerably less buggy game. I'll live.

If only this could be an example for other publishers that force their developers to rush the game out of the door.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
Ken, you can spend as much money fixing up your game as you want. But, you do have to release the thing eventually.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
You'll not deny me my Bioshock Infinite forever! I'm coming for you!

*froths at the mouth*

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
You see people, Stop using the words 'Infinite' or 'forever' in your title, because it clearly leads to the games themselves taking an inordinate amount of time to get out the door...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Alright, people, you know the drill.

Repeat after me: "Better to be delayed and improved than on time and sub-standard."

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
ZehMadScientist said:
A one month delay is a small price to pay for a considerably less buggy game. I'll live.

If only this could be an example for other publishers that force their developers to rush the game out of the door.
Given the typical highly scripted and linear nature of Bioshock, I wouldn't call this a good sign. Still, they could feed us any crock of shit.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I can wait for the game to be released, but Kevin don't pull a Final Fantasy Versus XIII on us.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Ruairi iliffe said:
You see people, Stop using the words 'Infinite' or 'forever' in your title, because it clearly leads to the games themselves taking an inordinate amount of time to get out the door...
How do you explain Versus XIII then? XD

Sorry, I just enjoy making fun of how long it's taken for them to release what was supposed to be a PS3 launch title.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrch?

I pre orded this thing dammit! 0_0....

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Take your time, Ken. I'd rather a game be released late but polished rather than one pushed out the door and patched later.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Neronium said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

Sorry, I just enjoy making fun of how long it's taken for them to release what was supposed to be a PS3 launch title.
Oh well this is an easy one to solve. Ever notice how each FF game takes longer and longer to come out? Simply put as the number in the title Increases so does time it takes to come out until it reaches complete synchronization of Number/Years.

This clearly is additional proof of this phenomenon, which i like to call The Grand Theory of Titletivity.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Ruairi iliffe said:
Neronium said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

Oh well this is an easy one to solve. Ever notice how each FF game takes longer and longer to come out? Simply put as the number in the title Increases so does time it takes to come out until it reaches complete synchronization of Number/Years.

This clearly is additional proof of this phenomenon, which i like to call The Grand Theory of Titletivity.
...My god that is genius! I never thought of it in that way. Although how do you explain the delay of Kingdom Hearts 3 then, and I know that most of the KH team is working on Versus XIII.
All I know is that this game better not be full of bugs when it's released or it would seem that during the time of this delay all the bug testers did was twiddle their thumbs.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
antidonkey said:
Take your time, Ken. I'd rather a game be released late but polished rather than one pushed out the door and patched later.
This.

So many games are pushed out the door with glitches and bugs that require patches to be released within the week.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Neronium said:
Ruairi iliffe said:
Neronium said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

...My god that is genius! I never thought of it in that way. Although how do you explain the delay of Kingdom Hearts 3 then, and I know that most of the KH team is working on Versus XIII.
All I know is that this game better not be full of bugs when it's released or it would seem that during the time of this delay all the bug testers did was twiddle their thumbs.
Development Event horizon, as a separate team pass though Event horizon of project work load the game Increases in mass to the point that Crunch time dilation occurs, thus all orbiting game titles are trapped until the Project blackhole evaporates either due to reaching critical mass and releasing the game to market or entropy of the Dev team occurs.

Also, as a QA i'd like to defend by peers by saying we do NOT sit on our arses, that is the job of the programers who don't reply to Bug reports.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Chrono212 said:
Could Mr. Ken Levine be one of the very few game developers who can say to a publisher "wait, we need more polish" and get that time?
I wish he had that kind of clout during the original BioShock's development. We could have ended up with a game that had the same story but the much-improved gameplay of its sequel.