Sony Ceases PlayStation 2 Production Worldwide

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Sony Ceases PlayStation 2 Production Worldwide

The best-selling console of all time ends its record-breaking run.

Well, that's it, ladies and gentlemen: The sixth console generation is officially over, as Sony's PlayStation 2 has now been discontinued worldwide. The news comes just days after PS2 production ceased in Japan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121282-PlayStation-2-Discontinued-in-Japan], which was the first sign that this day was fast approaching.

Launched in 2000, Sony's second major console release was by far its most successful to date. The PlayStation 2 is currently the best selling home console ever released, having sold over 155 million units since its debut. That figure leaves its primary competitors in the dust, with the original Xbox coming in at around 24 million sales, and Nintendo's GameCube bringing up the rear with 22 million sales.

The PlayStation 2 had a few key advantages in the early going, most notably its support for DVD video, which was just catching fire at the time the console was released. The PS2 received fantastic third-party publisher support with titles like Grand Theft Auto III, and played host to first-party exclusives such as God of War and Gran Turismo 4.

So if you have a drink near you, pour one out for the PlayStation 2, because it definitely deserves a place in the heart of every gamer.

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jan/04/playstation-2-manufacture-ends-years]

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Crap!

>_> Hope I can still get a new one before it's too late.
You will be missed PS2. Goodbye.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
All I can say is RIP PS2 and I should buy a back-up 1 before it's too late.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Shit, now I'm really gonna have to buy one while I still can, and keep it packed up forever.

...I'm not kidding.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
RIP PS2, I have some fond memories.
The first game I got on the PS2 was Jak and Daxter, I hadn't even told my mom I wanted that game, she just picked that one because she knows me so well. It was one of those "How did you know!" moments.

Now begs the question, if people can't get PS2s and the PS3 no longer has backwards compatibility, how are people going to play the massive PS2 library?
I doubt the PSN store offers that many PS2 titles, and not everyone is making HD collections. I'm pretty sure people who want to play Wild Arms 3, 4 or 5 for example, might be screwed.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
You guys make it sound like the PS2 I have sitting in my room right now is going to just up and dissolve on me.

Sure, newer PS2's won't be made anymore, but...it has been 13 years now. Just saying.

Nothing's going to stop me from popping over to Vintage Stock and perusing through their enormous selection of PS2 titles, either. Ah well, it'll be up to us current PS2 owners to keep the memory alive.

I don't drink, but I will play a game on my PS2 tonight in honor of this sad day.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Sad thing to hear. The PS2 was a system that stood the test of a generation (or two) and having it go after all these years... Weren't they producing PS2 games only a few months ago? Could have given us a little more warning than that.

Still, will try to buy myself another copy, for prosperity's sake. That and my old PS2 fat could die at any moment and then my huge PS2 collection would be unplayable. Including some great FF games (loved X and XII).

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Eclipse Dragon said:
The first game I got on the PS2 was Jak and Daxter, I hadn't even told my mom I wanted that game, she just picked that one because she knows me so well. It was one of those "How did you know!" moments.

Now begs the question, if people can't get PS2s and the PS3 no longer has backwards compatibility, how are people going to play the massive PS2 library?
I doubt the PSN store offers that many PS2 titles, and not everyone is making HD collections. I'm pretty sure people who want to play Wild Arms 3, 4 or 5 for example, might be screwed.

Jak And Daxter was also my first PS2 game! :D
I used to love it and the FECKING shark man! Panic attack everytime!
/Innocent me

Also... I guess in a few years the only way to play PS2 games is

1) Owning an original PS2 with games
2) Pcsx2 (It's an EMU)

I personally use the Emu when I can, since I can scale the games resolution to make them look HD, which is far better than the streching the regular PS2 uses on a widescreen TV.

Still, owning an original PS2 has so much more meaning :(

Oct 2, 2012
Eclipse Dragon said:

Jak and Daxter was my first ps2 game too! :D
Love that game.

This is a sad day. I have to snatch up another because I'm not sure how long my old ps2 is gonna last.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok, when i heard about the Japan shutdown i did this,

gigastar said:
I think this is most appropiate.

Let us not remember that it is gone, but that it ever was.

So now i need something that will beat that...

I thought i was going to need this today.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I just came back home from my friend's playing Soul Calibur 3 and Ace Combat Zero. It has started to falter after so many years of faithful service, and this news now makes me feel worse. With the PS2 dies a generation where buying a game meant receiving a complete game, unencumbered with day-one-DLCs, online passes and other bullshit. Sleep well, PS2.

Eclipse Dragon said:
Simple. Get a reasonably powerful processor and you can run PS2 games on an emulator on your PC. It's not even illegal - all you need to do is copy the BIOS file from your PS2. Hell, emulators run PS2 and Wii games at a higher resolution on the PC, so they look better on a larger screen as well.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I just came back home from my friend's playing Soul Calibur 3 and Ace Combat Zero.
At the mention of that, i shall post...

And...

And...

Those 3 tracks made thier respective games. Now confined to history unless Namco pulls thier finger out and rereleases them.

Eclipse Dragon said:
Simple. Get a reasonably powerful processor and you can run PS2 games on an emulator on your PC. It's not even illegal - all you need to do is copy the BIOS file from your PS2. Hell, emulators run PS2 and Wii games at a higher resolution on the PC, so they look better on a larger screen as well.
This being the internet, you could probably find the PS2 BIOS if you knew where to look.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
gigastar said:

And...

And...

Those 3 tracks made thier respective games. Now confined to history unless Namco pulls thier finger out and rereleases them.
Thanks. *sniff*

gigastar said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
This being the internet, you could probably find the PS2 BIOS if you knew where to look.[/quote]

I was strictly talking in terms of legalities, but yeah, I doubt Sony will send their lawyers after you for that... ;)

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
13 years...has it really been that long?

It seems like just yesterday I was unwrapping my first PS2 under the Christmas tree, along with it's first game: Jak and Daxter.

And now we've come to this, 13 years later and it's almost time for the end of the era of one of the greatest game consoles ever.

All the franchises that had their beginnings on the humble little black box: Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Kingdom Hearts...

That machine is still sitting on my shelf, I'll bet it still runs like new even after all these years of non-use. They won't make 'em like that ever again.

Man this is depressing. This system deserves one hell of a sendoff. But what could possibly do it justice?

How about a few tributes to some of the PS2's greatest games:

Man, those hit me right in the nostalgia. Farewell PS2. I SALUTE YOU! *Salutes*

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
I think it's a testament to just how awesome this machine was that I'm feeling nostalgic despite not actually having any old memories of it. I was a Gamecube kid in that era so I never had one at the time. I finally bought one used not even a week ago, good timing I guess. I've been having a lot of fun with it, Persona 4 is just as amazing as everyone always said it was.

Farewell you mad genius, what a fantastic run.

Capcha: "one small step for man". That feels strangely more fitting then it should.