Sony Ceases PlayStation 2 Production Worldwide

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Goodnight, sweet prince.
:(

I am actually sad, even though my ps2 still works really good.
At least it was with us for a long time.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I feel like it was a mediocre console. It just didn't really have much competition.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Thank god i bought a new one recently, that still plays games quite nicely.
But damn...the only console i think is REALLY good and it has to stop being produced... ;_; SONY WHY JUST...*hugs the nearest poster and cries uncontrollably*

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I need to check to see if my one still works. I haven't touched it in years, but now feels like the right time to go back and play some good old games.

I think I'l start with FFX.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
We just got a new one, probably right in time. It's kinda sad. I played the PS2 when it first released almost 13 years ago. Well, it had a good run... No. That's understating it.

It had a FANTASTIC run! Almost 13 years! That's quite impressive. We shall miss you, good ol' PS2. Fare thee well.

*sniff*

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
RIP Playstation 2. You were truly the best console. And now through the magic of emulation I will continue to enjoy your massive library of games.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Well I have to say it is amazing that it carried on for as long as it did, I mean, we are a generation and a half after its release and they were still making them?! Do we think it likely that the 360 and PS3 will last until the PS5 is out? (Then again looking at some of the PC commenters on youtube you would think that is EXACTLY what is going to happen)

Either way, good for Sony, that is a hella historic thing to have pulled off, and I honestly don't know if that record is likely to be beaten, it pretty much all depends on which direction production costs go.

What I would love to see sony do for those that currently own PS2s (I am not one) is introduce a buyback scheme for credit on the PSN store, as the raw materials used to make their consoles cannot be cheap, and imagine how cool it would be to know that some of the plastic or copper in your PS4 used to be a part of a laser reader or other piece of internal machinery from an old (maybe yours!) PS2.
Plus, you know, it'd be good for the environment and all

(CAPTCHA: Under the sea- DAMNIT NOW I NEED TO GO TO YOUTUBE AND LOOK UP THAT SONG AGAIN!)

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
gigastar said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I just came back home from my friend's playing Soul Calibur 3 and Ace Combat Zero.
At the mention of that, i shall post...

And...

And...

Those 3 tracks made thier respective games. Now confined to history unless Namco pulls thier finger out and rereleases them.

Eclipse Dragon said:
Now begs the question, if people can't get PS2s and the PS3 no longer has backwards compatibility, how are people going to play the massive PS2 library?
Simple. Get a reasonably powerful processor and you can run PS2 games on an emulator on your PC. It's not even illegal - all you need to do is copy the BIOS file from your PS2. Hell, emulators run PS2 and Wii games at a higher resolution on the PC, so they look better on a larger screen as well.
This being the internet, you could probably find the PS2 BIOS if you knew where to look.
Best songs ever to post on a topic such as this my friend. I was going to post Zero,but you did it for me. I have already made a post in the news about the ps2 ceasing in Japan,so I won't go too far here.

I'll miss my old friend.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
hmmm... I have a fully functional ps2 and a semi backwards compatible ps3 and still I'm a little worried about the 'what if they die' scenario.

Oddly enough, I don't feel that way at all about my nes and snes.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Shine on, you crazy diamond. You will be missed. You gave us so many good times, and so many great games.

Thanks for the memories, old friend.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
This probably means that new PS2s are going to go up in price, and I've been meaning to buy a backup for a while. Now I really want to go play Shadow of the Colossus, War of the Monsters, Mercenaries, Destroy All Humans, Spiderman 2 and GTA:SA. This really is sad news. I guess all of the games that still have multiplayer support are going to be shut down, and I've been wanting to get into Star Wars: Battlefront. :-(