See the First Image of a Giant Squid 2,000 Feet Underwater

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
See the First Image of a Giant Squid 2,000 Feet Underwater

The huge invertebrates have never before been seen in their natural habitat.

Giant squids live in water so deep that it took until the 19th century for the scientific community to even believe the massive animal existed. Legends of a kraken or sea monster attacking ships had percolated through our collective culture since time immemorial, and many zoologists thought the giant squid was just a story sailors told like mermaids and sirens. In the 19th century, corpses of dead squids that had washed up on shore were studied by the Danish scientist Japetus Steenstrup and he convinced the world of the existence of the species through a series of papers. It took until 2004 for a live giant squid to be captured and photographed in the Falklands Islands, although the 28.3 ft creature died the day. A few more sick or dying giant squids have been found in nets since then, but it wasn't until last year that video of a squid in its natural habitat deep under the sea was recorded by a joint venture between the Discovery Channel and the Japanese public broadcaster NHK.

Using a specially-designed submersible and a super sensitive HD camera, the team led by Tsunemi Kubodera followed giant squids on more than 100 missions underwater, racking up more than 400 hours of time below the sea. Kubodera's dedication was finally rewarded when they recorded footage of a relatively small specimen - estimated length about 3 meters or 10 feet long.

"It was shining and so beautiful," Kubodera said. "I was so thrilled when I saw it first hand.

"Researchers around the world have tried to film giant squid in their natural habitats, but all attempts were in vain before," he continued. "With this footage we hope to discover more about the life of the species."

The footage was captured 630 meters (2066.93 feet) below sea level but Kubodera said they had tracked this particular squid near Chichi island in the north Pacific Ocean to a depth of 900 meters or 3000 feet. The squid also was missing its two longest tentacles - researchers had no theories as to why exactly, perhaps a fight with a sperm whale? - and Kubodera estimates if the tentacles were intact the squid would have been at least 8 meters long.

The video of the giant squid will be shown on the Discovery Channel on Sunday, Jan. 27 in an episode of Curiosity. I, for one, will be watching - or at least scanning the tubes for a clip - because these crazy monsters are amazing. Plus, I'll be able to scream "Release the Kraken!" before pressing play, and annoy all those who sit near me in the Escapist bunker.

Source: Discovery [http://news.discovery.com/earth/giant-squid-filmed-in-pacific-depths-130107.html]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
8 meters...so 26 feet? That's pretty big. Now all that's left to do is find bigfoot!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
At one part I misread and for a moment seriously thought this was about huge underwater squirrels.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let hope the camera did not catch its attention or we will see some giant squids on the beach!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
That's a big squid. Glad to see that it has finally been caught on camera. Now go after Nessy scientists!

Call Me Jose

That One Jose
Jul 4, 2012
and just yesterday I was reading that they've never seen one in it's natural habitat, awesome.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Quaxar said:
At one part I misread and for a moment seriously thought this was about huge underwater squirrels.
Must have swapped biomes with the Pacific Northwest tree octopus [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest_tree_octopus] in an undoubtedly hilarious fish cephalopod-out-of-water comedy movie.

OT: this is neat and also somewhat unsettling. Enormous creatures deep in the ocean always give off that vaguely horrifying vibe.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
A partnership between the Discovery Channel and the Japanese.

To find Gaint Squid.

Yeah.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
3 meters isn't that big :C I want a squid the size of a whale.

Also, the picture is kind of pointless really, because when there's nothing to compare the size to, it just looks like a regular squid.
I want footage of a squid fighting a whale.

would totally payperview again 10/10

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I used to love giant squids when I was younger. Now I'm just terrified of them. That picture is pretty cool though, and it's a great achievement.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Taking bets from others that think the Japanese are doing this for the sole purpose of eating the things into extinction like they are trying to do the whales.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This is the fun stuff i love our world for :) still cool to wonder what took its tentecles off?

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Sorry to be that guy, but I think you meant to say
Greg Tito said:
-snip- It took until 2004 for a live giant squid to be captured and photographed in the Falklands Islands, although the 28.3 ft creature died the *same* day. -snip-
OT: This is SUPER cool, I can't wait to see it in action on my big screen.