See the First Image of a Giant Squid 2,000 Feet Underwater

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
I read this, and only one thing pops into my head...

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

What, did you think I was gonna do a Cthulu reference? Too easy.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Moral of the story - fishermen are always right.

Keep on the lookout for sirens and merfolk!

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
1. Way cool.
2. Why did it take so long?
3. At the end of the day, it is better late than never.
4. Now where is big foot?

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I've always thought giant squids were cool.
The rarity of them also helps increase their awesomeness factor.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
TheBelgianGuy said:
This is fake. It's clearly alien. And built the pyramids.
Well done. The producers of Ancient Aliens would be proud. ;)

VanQQisH said:
Taking bets from others that think the Japanese are doing this for the sole purpose of eating the things into extinction like they are trying to do the whales.
Given this is the first time, in a very long search, that we've seen one....I'm only putting a fiver into the pool. Even if they want to eat 'em, they'll be damned hard to find.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
Makes you wonder what other giant monsters (*cough* Cthulhu *cough*) are hidden in the farthest depths of these oceans on Earth ;d Kinda creepy too, I suppose.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I've always been interested in seeing a living giant squid. If a creature that large could have gone for so long without being found, what other mysterious things could be lurking in the deep, dark depths? Of course, you couldn't get me to go deep-sea diving if you paid me an exorbitant amount of money, but still.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Me55enger said:
A partnership between the Discoery Channel and the Japanese.

To find Gaint Squid.

Yeah.
You made me spit out my soda...

OT: This is really freaking cool. I'm somewhat afraid of deep sea monsters though, but I think I'll still look it up or catch the epsiode on TV at least.

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
Neronium said:
That's a big squid.
That's what she said.

Thanks team marine biology for the money well spent finding this thing. Probably a nice edition to next year's science textbooks.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
randomly screaming "Release the Kraken!" is one of my favorite things to do around friends :p most often out of context but there's a point to it maybe lol

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
2012 really was the end of the world and beggining of new, better one. North Korea has confirmed existence of unicorns and now we have krakens. World is turning into something AWESOME.

Ganpot

Aug 16, 2011
VanQQisH said:
Taking bets from others that think the Japanese are doing this for the sole purpose of eating the things into extinction like they are trying to do the whales.
I'll take that bet. Don't try to tell me that a nation who's favorite food is sushi is just trying to locate massive squid out of scientific curiosity. That would be one hell of a coincidence. The Japanese populace is probably salivating already. :b

Vigormortis said:
Even if they want to eat 'em, they'll be damned hard to find.
Don't you know? Being hard to find and kill just makes stuff that much more savory.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
weirdguy said:
A Smooth Criminal said:
3 meters isn't that big :C I want a squid the size of a whale.

Also, the picture is kind of pointless really, because when there's nothing to compare the size to, it just looks like a regular squid.
I want footage of a squid fighting a whale.

would totally payperview again 10/10
I have seen an octopus fighting a shark (killing the shark easily) is that good enough?

OT: I love squid and octopus news, it's my favourite kind of animal and the reason I have always wanted to get into marine biology. This is very interesting and I hope we'll one day manage to figure out how big these things can get. According to some incomplete footage they have been believed to be more than 3 times bigger than this one, but that's merely speculation.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
I don't want to sound like a dick but it isn't as big as I thought it would be.

When I heard giant squid I thought of a marine-behemoth that could have taken out the Titanic.

Well not that big but you get the picture.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Imagine being in the same a few meters away from that in the water....Fuck.