16th Century Europe Envisioned the Rocket Cat

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
16th Century Europe Envisioned the Rocket Cat

A 400-year old German manuscript portrays how cats could be used as deadly explosives.

It's hard to deny that cats have it made in our modern world. We feed them, provide them with shelter, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118383-Internet-Cats-Get-a-Film-Festival>throw entire film festivals in their honor, requiring only that they pose for the occasional internet photo in return. Sadly, cats haven't always held such esteemed positions in our society. According to a 16th Century German manuscript, cats were used less for cheeseburger jokes and more for blowing up enemy encampments. An image from the manuscript, seen right, depicts a death-dealing, rocket-bearing feline in a scene that is both ridiculous and laughable, provided you don't dwell on its rather depressing implications.

Feuer Buech, or "Fire Book" in English, provides illustrations of various kinds of 16th Century munitions. The manuscript can be examined in full on <a href=http://dla.library.upenn.edu/dla/medren/detail.html?id=MEDREN_1580451>the University of Pennsylvania's library website, where one reader presumably stumbled across the subtitle "cat and bird with rocket packs" and couldn't stop laughing. The image has been slowly spreading on blogs and tumblr feeds ever since, presumably to the amused bewilderment of history buffs and cat lovers everywhere.

Animals have been a part of human warfare <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120479-Brit-Finds-Secret-Message-on-Dead-World-War-II-Carrier-Pigeon>for about as long as we've had warfare, and explosives were never an exception. During World War II, the Soviets put bomb-laden dogs in the field as anti-tank weapons while the US experimented <a href=http://www.historynet.com/top-secret-wwii-bat-and-bird-bomber-program.htm>with a pigeon-guided missile system. Of course, such programs usually led to tragic results for the animals involved, and were eventually scrapped in favor of traditional, non-adorable delivery methods.

Since Feuer Buech isn't packed from cover-to-cover with animal pictures, it's pretty safe to say that these cat-based bombs weren't in vogue for very long. Which is good, because Grumpy Cat wouldn't be very impressed if we gave him the same treatment as his 16th Century ancestor, Fritz the Rocket Cat.

Source: The Atlantic

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The US also used cats literally on fire so they run across Cuban field and burn their crops, but still it's weird to read this article, and see how long something along the lines was considered back then.

Oct 22, 2011
"And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
?til touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the cat they think I am at home
Oh meow, meow, meow, I'm a rocket cat
Rocket cat, burning out his fuse up here alone"

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I see no tactical reason to tie a rocket to a cat. well now that I think about it, I guess launching a cat over a castle wall will cause it to become quite angry, so thats something.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I remember reading about how the Soviet bomb dog in WWII worked, worked too well. They trained the poor dogs to run up to tanks, during the training the Russians naturally used their own tanks as they had them around. When they tried to use them in battle the dogs ran towards the tanks just as they had been trained, except they had been trained to run up to Soviet tanks and completely ignored the German ones.

Not sure how accurate it is but its epic ironic justice if it was.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Which is good, because Grumpy Cat wouldn't be very impressed if we gave her the same treatment as her 16th Century ancestor, Fritz the Rocket Cat.
*fixed

OT: I doubt this'll be the last time we hear about the stupid ideas we came up with, if only because we get so technologically advance in the years to come that we look at our past lives and jokingly wonder how the heck we even survived back then (like with TV).

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Could cats still be used as explosives today?.

Still it would be really freaky to suddenly hear a loud meow and then the Nyan cat theme playing in the background as it happens.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oh the larks you can have in war. Like when the Romans used to set pigs on fire to scare elephants....mmmm bacon.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
i cant decide wether this is terrible and sickening or the COOLEST THING EVER!
i mean im against animal cruelty but... an exploding cat? that just has an awsome ring to it...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Why was the emblem for this a photo of Kopikatsu?...

OT: Um... something here is very awesome but I can't say I'm in favour of blowing cats up, I have one of the furry little blighters and I wubs it, they're very good pets.

No, I couldn't get behind modern-day cat rockets... Alas...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Could cats still be used as explosives today?.

Still it would be really freaky to suddenly hear a loud meow and then the Nyan cat theme playing in the background as it happens.
I agree with the grumpy cats sentiments here.

IT's still not as bad as when the Soviet's trained dogs to run under tanks with explosives tied to them, good thing that bit them in the arse.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
J Tyran said:
I remember reading about how the Soviet bomb dog in WWII worked, worked too well. They trained the poor dogs to run up to tanks, during the training the Russians naturally used their own tanks as they had them around. When they tried to use them in battle the dogs ran towards the tanks just as they had been trained, except they had been trained to run up to Soviet tanks and completely ignored the German ones.

While that did happen occasionally the main problem was the dogs were trained with tanks that were not running, the noise of a moving tank sacred the crap outa them and they usually made a bee ling straight towards Russian infantry, Then there was a mad scramble to de-fuse the dog before the detonator rod got caught on anything and blew them all up. As the infantry was normally hiding in rubble and ruined buildings things could get very chaotic. :)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
16thecentury - rockets.
21st century - jail escape kits.

they never gave up.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Are we sure this is a rocket or bomb? Because it looks more like a leaky container of chili sauce to me. Maybe the Germans came up with a way to quickly distribute barbecue sides during a siege?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
RevRaptor said:
J Tyran said:

While that did happen occasionally the main problem was the dogs were trained with tanks that were not running, the noise of a moving tank sacred the crap outa them and they usually made a bee ling straight towards Russian infantry, Then there was a mad scramble to de-fuse the dog before the detonator rod got caught on anything and blew them all up. As the infantry was normally hiding in rubble and ruined buildings things could get very chaotic. :)
Daft idea from the start really, thats just in practical terms and not counting animal welfare. There where loads of wacky ideas involving animals in WWII, like these bat bombs. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb] The idea was to drop a large bomb casing with a parachute attached and filled with bats onto Japanese cities, each bat had a small time delayed incendiary device strapped to it. The bats would then escape the casing and go and find somewhere to roost, hopefully inside the wooden roofs of the buildings where the incendiary would later go off and set fire to the building.