New Injustice: Gods Among Us Trailer is All About Story

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
New Injustice: Gods Among Us Trailer is All About Story

NetherRealm's new Injustice trailer combines Justice League and George Orwell's 1984.

There was once a time, stretching back to when arcades were the epitome of gaming, that fighting games didn't need stories. Oh, they had backstories to be fair, and a paragraph of victory text for each character's ending, but nothing that got in the way of mashing buttons and draining your pockets of quarters. Fighting games are well beyond that point now, for better or worse, as can be seen in titles like Injustice: Gods Among Us. The game depicts an alternate DC Universe where dark superheroes fight for supremacy, and canonically-minded players are naturally wondering why. A new story trailer for the game reveals that Injustice is a little less Superfriends and a lot more 1984, except instead of getting stomped by a boot for eternity, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117573-Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Shows-the-Brutal-Side-of-Superheroes>Superman will just punt you into space.

Credit where credit is due, the premise of Injustice does sound it would make for an interesting comic book story. After the Justice League fails to prevent the Joker from detonating a nuclear device in Metropolis, DC's superheroes start to assert direct control over the populace to ensure such disasters never happen again. Presumably years later, a faction within the League finally starts to realize they've gone too far, putting them at odds with Superman and Wonder Woman's totalitarian regime. The new "insurgency" movement, which includes Batman, Flash, Lex Luthor, and Harley Quinn, enacts a bold plan to set things right; how much that plan will involve a series of three round Beat-Em-Up matches remains to be seen.

Now I'm usually up for a good alternate reality DC story, and I've been excited about Injustice's gameplay ever since I saw <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117573-Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Shows-the-Brutal-Side-of-Superheroes>the aforementioned punch-into-space special move. Still, using a fighting game to tell a nuanced story is problematic at best, especially one with Injustice's scope. Outside of the additional work required to render things like NPC armies, you need an engaging plot limited entirely to cutscenes and one-on-one combat matches. That's not to say it can't be done (I personally liked the approach Def Jam: Fight For New York took), but you can't just stick superheroes into a fighting game and hope the story will work itself out.

Regardless, Injustice: Gods Among Us should be the most story-focused project NetherRealm Studios has produced. Whether it turns out to be the Citizen Kane of fighting games or just another button-masher will be determined on April 19, 2013.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So how are they justifying Joker being able to go toe to toe with Superman ?

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
So how are they justifying Joker being able to go toe to toe with Superman ?
I'm going to put my money on magic, cause when you need a bs reason for stopping the man of steel magic is always there.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Good to see they got Kevin Konroy, Susan Eisenberg and George Newbern back as Bats, Diana and Supes.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The DLC pack isn't a very good pre-order incentive.

It'd be better if it was some kind of classic costumes.

Sep 14, 2009
eh as much as i am interested in the story of this and whatnot, the gameplay isn't all that intriguing, if i wanted to play fighting games/mortal kombat/etc...i'd go play the 4 different versions i already own.

probably will give this a pass unless it really shows some depth somewhere.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Foolproof said:
Isn't this just the story of A Better World and the Justice Lords?
If you're going to rip something off, at least rip off something good.

OT: This could be good. I've really been into fighters recently, plus I'm a DC fan, and a sucker for alternate realities to boot. Might have to kick the tires on this one.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This Echos a rather good superman/general DC one off comic called Red Son(was if superman fell into soviet Russia insted of the USA ofc its not a total restepping. But anyhow looks fun :)

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
So how long until people start crying sexist because Batman is hitting Wonder Woman?

Games looks interesting. Gonna keep my eyes on this one.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Okay...I really wish I had a console now.

Kevin MOTHERDUCKING Connery is Batman again.
I mean that really makes me feel much better.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
I am conflicted about this game, it's nether realms, which isn't a bad thing, just that I didn't enjoy the last Mortal Kombat, certain little things just made me pass on it for fighting games I already had or was more interested in, but this is DC, so, I'm a bit more interested, but not joke, I'm very petty, and Harley looks like crap, that outfit just another slutty looking get up like she's been getting in most games she's appearing in (and the new comics), it's got Nightwing so that's a plus. I really hope there's demo, it's Nether Realms, there should be a demo, right? (not following too closely), I just hope a few more characters are revealed, and look good, at least one Batgirl? And by the gods I hope they have Harley's classic outfit in there somewhere, I mean, she has the personality (based on a gameplay trailer) the giggles, the flips, all awesome, just that stupid outfit, classic costume unlock please...I'll buy it if I have to? (by petty I really mean it, if I cared about Superman I'd be upset about his outfit too.) Either way, I hope it comes out well.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
That did not sound like Mark Hamill as the Joker. This saddens me
Well, he did say that his very last performance as the role would be in Arkham City. It would appear as though he was indeed serious about no longer working with the character.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Baron_BJ said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Well, he did say that his very last performance as the role would be in Arkham City. It would appear as though he was indeed serious about no longer working with the character.
He also said that after Asylum. So I'm guessing that a good enough script would entice him back despite the ending of AC.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Baron_BJ said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
He also said that after Asylum. So I'm guessing that a good enough script would entice him back despite the ending of AC.
Really?

Well I guess Hamill meant it fo' realsies this time.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
tmande2nd said:
Okay...I really wish I had a console now.

Kevin MOTHERDUCKING Conneryroy is Batman again.
I mean that really makes me feel much better.
You're welcome.

I guess I'm too much of a comic book nerd to like this. If you want to make a fighting game using Dc characters, at least use ones with similar power levels. I can kinda buy Bats beating up "everyone" if he gets a chance to use his "prep" superpower, but Green Arrow? Harley? Nightwing? They stand no chance against the real supers in a straight fight... (neither does Bats to be fair...)