Obsidian is Pitching a New Star Wars Game

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Obsidian is Pitching a New Star Wars Game

The team behind the (arguably) best Star Wars game is looking to make another.

Ask the average PC gamer what their favorite Star Wars game is and there's a good chance they'll name drop Obsidian's excellent Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Yes, it was a typical Obsidian game - i.e., a sequel to an established franchise and buggier than a crack fiend's pajamas - but it took the ideas presented in BioWare's original and ran with them. Out of the door. Into space.

Now the studio is looking to return to its old stomping ground with another game set in the Star Wars universe. CEO Feargus Urquhart has revealed that Obsidian is lobbying heavily to develop a new Star Wars RPG.

Rather than step on BioWare's toes and set their game during the Old Republic era, Obsidian is looking to explore one of the darker, more interesting periods of the Star Wars chronology; the fall of the Republic and the extermination of the Jedi.

"There's a lot of different eras in Star Wars, and that's what we would focus on," Urquhart told RPS. "We pitched a between-Episode III and Episode IV game [to LucasArts]. Because we think that timeframe is super interesting. It's the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, it's Obi-Wan going off and making sure Luke is OK. You have the Sith, but you have the extermination of all Force users except for very, very few. So it was an interesting time to set a game, and you know, Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story."

For those of you who don't know your BioWare/Black Isle history, Chris Avellone wrote Planescape: Torment and contributed to a whole bunch of golden age RPGs. His name tends to crop up whenever the words "ever," "writer," "game" and "best" appear in the same sentence.

There is, however, one small problem. Lucas arts seemed keen on the pitch Obsidian submitted, but as of October of last year, it'll be Disney that makes the final decision. How are talks going with the house of mouse? Well, they're not.

"We haven't [talked with Disney yet]. We're kind of waiting for the smoke to clear," said Urquhart. "But that's one of my next big things to do. To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again]."

Source: RockPaperShotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/08/new-republic-obsidian-actively-pitching-more-star-wars/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29]

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I must have saved truckloads of orphans in my previous life to deserve this.

Is there anything we can do to make sure it happens? Could we maybe hold the Disneys execs hostage or something?

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
:D

...Just hopefully they will be allowed to finish it this time. And if this takes off (No space pun intended) I'll be wary as hell how it'll turn out. Still I am happy to hear they want to make another Star Wars game.

Dec 14, 2009
Let Obsidian do everything except the building of the game and it should be perfect :D

How Obsidian has released so many buggy titles is beyond me, but they need a seperate team just to make sure the game doesn't start falling apart as soon as you try to play it.

Aiberg

Oct 2, 2009
remember, they are gonna have to pitch it to Disney... it won't be another KOTOR.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
This is excellent news. I would love to see them do it in an Alpha Protocol like way. Letting players go to different planets whenever they want, Letting them influence the game with decisions from different missions and character interactions, and gain standing with different characters. I would especially love to see a similar dialogue tree like how they did it in Alpha Protocol but refine it a bit. I would especially love to see them letting players pick different sides. like they could fight for the Rebel Alliance, Galactic Empire, or be independent and not side with any faction.

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
Oh, awesome! I'd be very happy about a new game like that... provided it actually gets finished this time.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Not sure how I feel about this. I've never been in love with the Star Wars franchise, but more Obsidian is always a good thing.

Also, the Rogue Squadron games were the best Star Wars games.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Meh, if it's not Battlefront 3 then I'm not interested.

Best of luck to them though, hope they can make a game that isn't chock-full of bugs, and more importantly can bring back a level of quality associated with the Star Wars IP.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Ask the average PC gamer what their favorite Star Wars game is and there's a good chance they'll name drop Obsidian's excellent Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

Really? I was under the impression most people considered the original to be much better, and the review scores certainly seem to support that. The sequel was a great game, and I honestly didn't notice a single bug when playing it, but it just wasn't as good as the first (other than the graphics which were of course a lot better).

That said, I would love to see them make another one.

Captcha: Beautiful friendship. Oh yes.

HanFyren

Dec 19, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
How Obsidian has released so many buggy titles is beyond me, but they need a seperate team just to make sure the game doesn't start falling apart as soon as you try to play it.
That's easy.
They do what they are hired to do.

Would love to see what they could do with a proper AAA budget.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
If they are both set in different eras then why not allow two of them to be made. If you think about it wouldnt they just stagger there release dates anyway and its also unlikely they would both be finished within the same month.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
...Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story...

That's all I needed to hear. I don't give a shit which IP it is in. Chris Avellone. Cool story. RPG. Obsidian. Win.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Disney, if you are reading this, you could make as much money on this as a new Star Wars movie. Give them the greenlight, all the resources they want, and an all star debug team, and we will preemptively forgive you for everything else you do to this franchise.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Aiberg said:
remember, they are gonna have to pitch it to Disney... it won't be another KOTOR.
Gd point.
The excitement lasted for like 45 seconds till I read this

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Provided this goes through i have one very basic request to Disney/Lucasarts and one alone....*Ahem*

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE! By the will of the force: Let them finish the damned game. I don't think we need another Kotor 2 scenario (Head company forcing them to cut half the game out and release it unfinished.). I realise the restoration mod helped get around this...eventually, but i think it's best if they just have the time to finish the bloody story this time doncha think?