Obsidian is Pitching a New Star Wars Game

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I got a problem with putting it so much into the trilogy's, BUT it is Chris Avellone the guy behind KOTOR 2 so I'll wait to see how good it is. I did love KOTOR 2 so much =)

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Yes yes yes yes yes YES! Do want!

I will wait however long it takes, just do it and for the love of God finish it, Obsidian. I would gladly debase myself in so many ways if it would allow this to happen.

And this time (again, on the very uncertain condition this does happen) can I submit a humble plea to Bioware to not stomp all over this with an MMO and a Drew Karpyshyn book that utterly ruin Obsidian's story?

Individuo

Oct 19, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Ask the average PC gamer what their favorite Star Wars game is and there's a good chance they'll name drop Bioware's excellent Star Wars: Knights of the old Republics
Fixed.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
To be honest I'm kinda sick of games set in the "past". It's a little off putting. I think there should be more Jedi Acadamy games and such set after Return.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Individuo said:
Grey Carter said:
Ask the average PC gamer what their favorite Star Wars game is and there's a good chance they'll name drop Bioware's excellent Star Wars: Knights of the old Republics
Fixed.

Seriously though, doubt it will happen, and if it does, it won't be the same.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
its really cool to see them making something new but id still prefer them to declare The Old Republic non-cannon and then make the Knight of the Old Republic III that fans have been damending for the past decade and would be guaranteed to be a huge money maked... im really surprised EA didnt make it to begin with

xrogaan

Mar 10, 2012
At this point, I hope there will be no games. Because you know, Disney and video games ... They do not get along.

I mean, give me one game that is a success and available on our computers. Just one, I dare you!

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Kotor 2 favorite game? it was only good, till I played the first one years after, Now THAT was an amazing game, two bad Bioware is under the wings of EA now.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
KOTOR2 is so goddamned buggy, it hadn't worked well on any computer I've tried and always broke less than halfway through the game.
I don't trust obsidian at all.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
If guessing the plan for announcing this was to get people to send Disney a bunch of mail saying "Please dear lord make this happen". Hopefully it succeeds.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Grey Carter said:
"To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again]."
Because I'd really like to see a neew SW RPG, I'm going to assume that what he really said was "To kind of go over there and kick someone in the nuts until they agree to let us make this game." :3

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Weird timing. I just started replaying KOTOR 2 recently(almost off of Peragus finally).

But yeah, get the hell on this right now! A new Obsidian Star Wars RPG would be enough to make me break my no preorder rule. And as a bonus, we wouldn't get stuck with the badly aging Star Wars D20 ruleset.

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
The FUCK? If your answer to "what is the best Star Wars game" is "The Old Republic 2" the you are WRONG. It was the fucking death of the series. (Well arguably ToR was the death of it, but go away, I'm trying to make a point here).
The story sucked, the silver lightsaber was idiotic, it was bugged as hell, incredibly predictable, the dialogues just led into a retarded circle until you chose whatever option the writer wanted you to choose so there was no freedom to boot and WHY COULDNT I KICK THE FUCKING OLD HAG OUT THE AIRLOCK, SHE WAS OBVISOULY EVIL.

Anyway, don't need.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Kahani said:
Grey Carter said:
Ask the average PC gamer what their favorite Star Wars game is and there's a good chance they'll name drop Obsidian's excellent Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

Really? I was under the impression most people considered the original to be much better, and the review scores certainly seem to support that. The sequel was a great game, and I honestly didn't notice a single bug when playing it, but it just wasn't as good as the first (other than the graphics which were of course a lot better).

That said, I would love to see them make another one.

Captcha: Beautiful friendship. Oh yes.

It's an interesting position. There is definitely a subset of people who will argue that KotoR 2 is one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and they've probably played more RPGs than the people who say the same of KotoR (because as much as KotoR is a good game it doesn't even hold up to a shadow of say Planescape:Torment whereas KotoR 2 is closer to doing that) but the general publics opinion is that KotoR 1 is better.

Personally I find KotoR1 incredibly drab in comparison. The story hinges on its twist and without it, it's pretty drab and boring (and the dialogue at the start is incredibly awful. Lots of 'as you know we have these devices called blasters' style stuff). The companion system in KotoR uses that terrible Bioware 'wait two missions and then pull the advance relationships lever' system which has never been a good idea in any of the games they've had it, yet they won't get rid of it. KotoR2 on the other hand has the influence system, which is exactly what every party game should use, it's such a better level of interaction to have party members look at what you do and judge it through their own prism of experience than 'oh look he talked to me and didn't call me a moron'.

And generally I find the characters for KotoR2 a lot more interesting. What happens to Bastila is pretty interesting and HK has good dialogue and apart from that...? I guess Jolee can be funny sometimes. Whereas Visas Marr, GoTo (if you ever unlock his full backstory), HK, Atton, Kreia, the Echani and even T3 have less bland personalities than Carth and really interesting full backstories, a lot of them you can even turn into Jedi with the right option (I will say that the engineer and the Disciple were as boring as Carth though).

The upgrade system is better and there are better powers. The main story actually ties into the gameplay and has a unique take on the SW universe, it makes much more interesting comments about Revan and the Mandalorian wars than KotoR 1 ever did.

But the advantages to KotoR1 are: An infinitely better ending, more fleshed out worlds (ish, Nar Shadda was pretty amazing) a much shorter prologue and the actual missions on the world feel a bit deeper, if they aren't so challenging, good sidequests and a solid performance.

KotoR 1 was the sort of game that would get 90's on review scores, it has a heck of a lot of polish, it doesn't try anything challenging but it does everything very well and very prettily. It takes the standard Star Wars story and tells it in a very competent way, including the identity reveal that Bioware had done in pretty much every game pre-Mass Effect and naturally appeared in the original Star Wars trilogy. Their version of T3 was that, a droid, nothing special. The best piece of writing in the game was a fanmade mod, which was a lot more adventurous than the vanilla game (vanilla is generally a good word for KotoR)

KotoR 2 was the sort of game with no polish, lots of lows and lots of highs. It did a lot of things wrong, the level design wasn't great, but it also tried out ideas that no-one had had before and made all of it's characters have another level of depth. T3 was a droid, but he had recognisable personality (despite no dialogue!). The most consistent engineering and designing for the game is a fan made mod. It doesn't review well, because game reviews mainly grade polish because the reviewers are trying to objective and if they see a recognisable score they'll dock points, whereas it's not normal to add points for something done amazingly. Thats why GTA IV is one of the best scored games of all time, despite most people preferring San Andreas and why Beyond Good and Evil is only in the 80's. Plus KotoR 2 was unfinished at time of review and has since been finished by fans.

I think the way public perception has fallen is fairly reasonable. For the majority of people, they're going to play KotoR enjoy the experience, be shocked by the twist and leave thinking of it was the better game. But if you're looking for a more unique experience with themes that are worth talking about after you've played the game, KotoR 2 wins hands down. But it might not be as fun to play and will contain lots of individual bits that aren't as well done. KotoR 2 has a cult fanbase and I think stands up better to repeated playthroughs and KotoR has a large section of the public who loved the game and can be played through twice to huge satisfaction.