First Wasteland 2 Gameplay Footage Emerges

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
First Wasteland 2 Gameplay Footage Emerges

One of the first Kickstarter-backed gaming projects gets a gameplay breakdown by inXile's Chris Keenan.

While some of the luster for crowd-funded games has faded in the wake of Kickstarter exhaustion, many developers who obtained their funds are still hard at work on their projects. Among these <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116809-Wasteland-2-Kickstarter-Ends-With-a-Bang>is inXile Entertainment's Wasteland 2, one of the first player-backed games to gain popular attention and a return to the universe that inspired the popular Fallout series. In the interest of keeping backers appraised on its progress, inXile Entertainment recently posted a 15-minute gameplay video that introduces viewers to Wasteland 2's world, combat, skills, and customization options.

The video opens with a brief introduction of Wasteland 2's story. Almost a century following a destructive nuclear war, the radiation that blanketed the American southwest is finally beginning to dim. As it does, the Desert Rangers from the original game start to pick up radio signals from other distant settlements, many of which are threatening and hostile. The Rangers nonetheless intend to continue their mission of providing order to the Wasteland, starting with a distress call from the nearby agricultural center.

The footage itself is narrated by development director Chris Keenan, who provides context to what has been constructed so far. If you've played the original Wasteland or Fallout, you'll probably notice that Wasteland 2 is strongly reminiscent of the classic RPGs. Keenan covers a lot of ground, but worth noting is inXile's emphasis on customization. Each character in the player's squad can be individually designed right down to their portraits (Keenan's team includes his two-year son and "resident dog designer" Chewie). Customization even extends to the UI itself, which can be completely altered or moved during play to suit your individual liking.

While Wasteland 2 appears to be in a playable state, inXile's Kickstarter page notes that development is only at the halfway point. There are reportedly many features to add, including sounds, particle effects, world map movement, and multiple combat variables. Wasteland 2 has a planned release for October 2013, at which point we'll find out how much the finished project resembles this already impressive demo.

Source: Joystiq

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Still disappointed.

The much vaunted return of old-school, turn based RPGs, and they serve get some of the most shallow combat I've ever seen in a turn based game.

This makes the new XCOM look like Dwarf Fortress.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
YAY That looks damn awesome! This is the most excited I've been for a game in a LOOONG time! I'm gonna go play Fallout 2 now... so excited ^_^

Zhukov said:
Still disappointed.

The much vaunted return of old-school, turn based RPGs, and they serve get some of the most shallow combat I've ever seen in a turn based game.

Calm down, we saw a prealpha version of the basic combat system so it of course looked basic.

Mikoi

Sep 29, 2010
wait until it comes out to really decide, at the moment it looks basic, however the team behind it has a lot of passion about this game, so give it time and we will hopefully see a good Turn Based RPG game return, if not, I'll continue with XCOM.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Looking quite bland at the moment but hopefully combat will look great like Xcom later on down the line.

Still laughing at the YT comments claiming it's the "real Fallout 3" even though Fallout 3 was great and well received anyway.

And here's also hoping it comes with all 3 difficulty modes to let enough people get into the gameplay and enjoy the story at the same time at their own pace.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I know it's meant to be based in a Wasteland but it's the same colours and design as so many "realistic" games. I want to like it but it looks so boring.

That's without mentioning the combat, which looks OK for now. I'm hoping Scorpid's right and it will improve.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Mikoi said:
wait until it comes out to really decide, at the moment it looks basic, however the team behind it has a lot of passion about this game, so give it time and we will hopefully see a good Turn Based RPG game return, if not, I'll continue with XCOM.
I didn't buy XCOM (yet), so I don't know exactly how it plays, could you try to explain to me in which way is it different/better compared to what was shown in this video? Admittedly, the video doesn't show a lot of the combat system, so maybe there isn't enough to make a good comparison.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Looks like their on the right track. Here's hoping they flesh out combat and make it even better than XCOM's.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Gameplay looks basic but thats expected this early and it has potential i cant wait to see how it looks out of the early builds im so glad i helped in its kickstarter

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
They had me sold on the text box continuously filling with details. That old school remnant is pretty much how I learned to read and it made me feel all nostalgic. Oh, is Enemy Unknown the bar to reach for tactical turn-based combat now?

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Still laughing at the YT comments claiming it's the "real Fallout 3" even though Fallout 3 was great and well received anyway.
That doesn't mean it's a Fallout game. New Vegas was much more Fallout 3 than Fallout 3.

OT: This game looks excellent. I'm glad to see the genre is coming back, and I hope they can improve it and make it deeper as time goes on.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
There seems to be a resurgence of top down turn based games recently, what with X-com, Omerta, and now this.

Some might lament about how the difficult curve is no longer a 90 degree angle but I believe it is for the best. Hell, I would never have even considered playing X-com if they kept it as complicated as it was originally.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Looking quite bland at the moment but hopefully combat will look great like Xcom later on down the line.

And here's also hoping it comes with all 3 difficulty modes to let enough people get into the gameplay and enjoy the story at the same time at their own pace.
Well, well recieved by most, not by them. The people who wanted a sequel to the original Fallout games in more than name only were understandably disappointed with the direction Bethesda took.

In any case, this is looking damn good. I'm not thrilled with the Keyword dialogue system, it feels like it makes the Rangers themselves kinda faceless and robotic, but I'm willing to give it a shot if the other NPCs are written well.
I was one of those but understood their issue from the start, but I think they should of made DL exclusive PC version that was like original Fallout and that that shit would rake in money after how much people loved and revived the franchise with Fallout 3. But by my count Bethesda has done right by me with Fallout. I don't agree with everything but whatever it's a great two games they've published.
Proof of this is by how many people invested in Wasteland 2 for the promise of playing again the original style of Fallout. I think if Wasteland 2 does well separate from the original kickstarter fund raising then Bethesda will have to seriously consider doing that exactly, especially when you factor in the success of XCom revival.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
Zhukov said:
Still disappointed.

You don't know. You saw some early footage. This is why most companies "early footage" is actually late stage beta footage, people will just shit all over a game no matter how early in development the game is.

This game is looking great and I am excited for it.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
I'm not sure what the first wasteland was like, a bit before my time, never saw footage, but this looks quite a bit like Fallout Tactics. While it's really cool to see a game of the same kind coming out, I can't help but feel I'm going to be treading the same ground again...

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Your Gaffer said:
Zhukov said:
Still disappointed.

You don't know. You saw some early footage. This is why most companies "early footage" is actually late stage beta footage, people will just shit all over a game no matter how early in development the game is.

This game is looking great and I am excited for it.
Equally excited and bloody glad i backed it!

As to bland combat remember this is the first encounter from the game. The fights are likely to be quite simple as most games dont throw you into a complex, confused fight right off the bat. I imagine as the characters level the complexities will stack up