Next Arkham Title Due In 2013

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Next Arkham Title Due In 2013

Time Warners' earnings call may have revealed a little more Batman information than it intended.

The secret's out: the next instalment in the Batman franchise is due in 2013. No, we don't know what it is, or when it's set, or even who's writing it, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118869-Arkham-City-Writer-Isnt-Penning-the-Next-Batman-Game] but according to CFO John K. Martin, you can expect it very soon.

The news came as part of a Time Warners' earnings call. Martin didn't add any details to the announcement, which probably wasn't intended as an announcement per se; it was just part of a long list of predictions and not-quite-promises he was making for the company's bottom line in 2013.

"And we also have a strong games release this year," Martin said, "which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise. So all in all, we expect Warners to post another very strong year in 2013."

You may recall that Warners recently BAM! POW! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121487-Warner-Bros-Goes-Batty-For-Arkham-Domains]

Source: Seeking Alpha [http://seekingalpha.com/article/1161181-time-warner-management-discusses-q4-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=7]

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Well this isn't really a surprise at all they were hinting at Arkham 3 in City a tonne.

Jan 12, 2012
Here's hoping they go the Mario route and have Batman in space, swooping from asteroid to asteroid and hurling thugs into the deepest darkness of space.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Better not have as many cliffhangers as the Arkham city sidequests.
Also I hope it's good.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
But...with the Joker DEAD, one of the main draws to the Batman franchise is gone. Who the hell's going to take HIS place? Surely not Harley, she's not even CLOSE to being as batshit insane (no pun intended) as the Joker was!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:
Snipped because spoilers
Just as a heads up, you may want to spoiler what you said. Some people may get a bit annoyed at seeing that if they hadn't played Arkham City yet.

Anyway, looking forward to it, loved both Arkham games, so another one is just gravy.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:
But...with the Joker DEAD, one of the main draws to the Batman franchise is gone. Who the hell's going to take HIS place? Surely not Harley, she's not even CLOSE to being as batshit insane (no pun intended) as the Joker was!
Easy - halfway through the game (so that it has some foreshadowing, and to avoid bringing him back straight away/back for the endgame) have Harley successfully bring Joker back to life. It could be via cloning (which was subtly hinted at in the Harley DLC) or via Lazarus Pit, but it's Comic Book World - it can be done.

However... I don't think they will. The franchise needs to spread its wings a bit beyond the Joker/Batman relationship.

I'm eager to see a well thought out Hush/Scarecrow plot, possibly with the Riddler in an even more active role. There are still plenty of good characters to pick up and play with.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Uh, guys?

CAPTCHA: remain calm

What the Captcha said. It's hardly a spoiler by now since it's practically been spoiled about a gabillion times over everywhere else. But, yeah...the DC universe does have a problem with keeping certain (popular) characters dead, and we wouldn't have had the Blackest Night arc plot otherwise. But...I'll see what comes.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
This is true. But during Arkham City, especially close to the end, it seems that some of the stage was being set for where the game could go next.

Namely the mysterious presence of Scarecrow in Arkham City. You never actually see him. But if you keep an eye out, there's evidence of him being around.

Naturally there's the Scarecrow boat easter egg.

But even more mysterious is the sudden appearance of dead Scarecrow thugs during the Protocol 10 chaos. He was obviously up to something, and it's troubling that Batman never directly encountered him.

I wonder if Scarecrow could end up being the main villain in the next game? Thugs in Arkham City sometimes talk about Bludhaven... I wonder if it could take place in Bludhaven. (A place that is absolutely teeming with more rampant violent thugs and corruption than Gotham City and is watched over by Nightwing.) Imagine how bad it would be if Scarecrow managed to spread his fear gas all over Bludhaven?

^Now that's just speculation. But I'd like to see the Arkham city encompass more villains than just the Joker. Sure, we see plenty of villains through the game. But none of them seem to hold a candle to the sort of threat that Joker poses.

Besides, after the praise the Arkham games have gotten, I think at this point the franchise can continue succeeding if Joker wasn't the main villain.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
what is with all of these 'water is wet' news messages lately?

GamemasterAnthony said:
But...
with the Joker DEAD, one of the main draws to the Batman franchise is gone. Who the hell's going to take HIS place? Surely not Harley, she's not even CLOSE to being as batshit insane (no pun intended) as the Joker was!
There isnt a
death
in the video game industry that can't be made is something profitable. Like a new
semi-robot joker zombie
or something like that.

But yea, the end of arkham city was open enough for at least 3 more sequels.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Goddamn, whatever happened to that Silver-Age prequel they were talking about!!! Hopefully by being the next "Arkham" game they simply mean same dev-team/same style. At least I hope so.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Sounds good but im wondering who could be the big main villain this time King tut maybe? I kid i kid

The_Darkness said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
Easy - halfway through the game (so that it has some foreshadowing, and to avoid bringing him back straight away/back for the endgame) have Harley successfully bring Joker back to life. It could be via cloning (which was subtly hinted at in the Harley DLC) or via Lazarus Pit, but it's Comic Book World - it can be done.

However... I don't think they will. The franchise needs to spread its wings a bit beyond the Joker/Batman relationship.

I'm eager to see a well thought out Hush/Scarecrow plot, possibly with the Riddler in an even more active role. There are still plenty of good characters to pick up and play with.
I'd prefer he stay dead especially since Hamil is unlikely to return for this installment.
Baresark said:
Ugh, I hope it's not the silver age game... that would be retarded.
Don't know what the silver age is so im not sure why that would be bad care to explain?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
Do you have any idea how often he has 'died'?

How do you know Batman didn't carry out the fake one? It's not like he'd have a pulse...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The_Darkness said:
Oh please, not more Riddler! He annoys me endlessly! (And if he was the main villain, who would go out of their way to hide a billion doodads for us to find?)

A long game of Cat and Mouse with Hush would be absolutely fantastic, though. I'd play that more than once.