Microsoft Believes Most Consumers Won't Hear Sony Announcement

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Microsoft Believes Most Consumers Won't Hear Sony Announcement

Consumers are more interested in what's in stores than what's on the horizon, says Microsoft.

Sony is getting ready to share some exciting news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121823-Sony-Teases-Possible-PlayStation-4-Announcement] with the general public on February 20. Speculation runs rampant that Sony will announce its next console, the PlayStation 4, which sounds reasonable, given the recent release of Nintendo's Wii U and the presumed similar development of Microsoft's next Xbox. While gamers are eager to hear the news, Microsoft believes that it won't make much of a difference to most consumers. The general public, it says, is more interested in what's out right now than what may release before year's end.

Jonathan Grimes, the senior regional director for Xbox in the UK, warns that there's still no guarantee that Sony will announce a PS4 later this month. "The reason why I love this industry is because there's always new things happening," he says. "But we are also fantastic at creating stories that may or may not happen." Even if the announcement proves to be huge, Grimes argues, Microsoft's focus will still be on the here-and-now, which is where most people's minds - and wallets - are. "Whatever gets announced on February 20, the majority of consumers in the UK won't know ... Our job will be to ensure that the consumers that are going into stores, going online, still see and experience Xbox, rather than get lost in the industry chatter." The announcement of Sony's next console will be huge news for people who live and breathe videogames, but for most people, the PS4 will be a distant spot on the horizon, if they read about it at all.

For most people who frequent gaming sites, it's extremely easy to forget that internet-savvy core games are a niche market. If Sony announces a game-changer on February 20, it won't filter down to the mainstream right away. By the time the general public has a good idea of the PS4's existence, relative merits, and release window, a significant amount of time may have passed, and Microsoft aims to make good use of that time.

Source: MCVUK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-x-men-xbox-uk-s-jon-grimes-and-harvey-eagle-on-a-successful-year-for-360/0110897]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
*raises hand* I'm interested. Though it is an obscure date to be announcing something. Microsoft however seem to ignore how quickly news will travel. If this is indeed a PS4/Orbis announcment, even if they don't see the announcment directly, the news will spread, and people will notice. So long, however, they actually show something of what it's capable of, instead of "Hey, PS4 exists, wait till E3 before we can actually show you anything it can do".

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
So I take it MS don't plan on announcing their next-gen console until release date then? Or would that not count towards concentrating on the "then and now"?

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Cool, rock throwing between companies. This is why I'm invested in the games industries, and not when video game companies act like human beings.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Erm wouldn't this also apply to them when they announce their next gen xbox. To tell the truth I'm not that motivated by next-gen consoles but I will be keeping tabs on what's happening with each platform.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
That last paragraph is true, and is something that should be brought up more often. That being said, small good publicity is still good publicity and products do need awareness in order to sell. They need to announce it eventually.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Hey Microsoft keep it classy, I'm sure there's one guy somewhere who won't see this headline and think that you're been pissy because Sony got to announce their console first.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
So I guess I was just imagining the internet going nuts when Watch Dogs was revealed? And all this news about people finally getting excited for the 3DS thanks to its upcoming games? I suppose the industry focus on pre-order bonuses and reserves are just a figment of my imagination?

Seriously Microsoft, I dare you to try and stuff that foot further down your throat.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
It sounds to me like Microsoft is just trying to keep a little bit of attention in their own camp. A lot of people are wondering what Sony's announcement is going to be, and as a result, probably aren't paying a lot of attention to what Microsoft are doing right now. Mind you, what Microsoft is doing in the here and now doesn't interest me at all, so maybe I'm just biased.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Despite the fact a lot of people are kicking off over it taking so long to release/announce a new console generation. Its overdue already, MS seem reluctant to move forward at the moment, it seems they're trying to turn the 360 into the new Mega Drive.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Seriously, the CEO's of these big companies need to stop acting like middle schoolers. All they seem to do now is throw petty, off-hand insults at each other.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I dont know what the point of their argument is (since when they announce theirs it will be exactly the same thing) but I agree that most of the consumers wont hear the announcement of this console in the same way that they never do of any console.

I am sure that more then 50% of the consumers dont really care for whats next for the game industry, most of the consumers just want to know "Is this the one that has Call of Duty and Fifa?"

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'd actually forgotten about that announcement, been too wrapped up with life this month. Thanks for the reminder, Grimes.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Was it even confirmed that it was a PS4 announcement? Everyone keeps assuming it is, but I thought I remember the video they released being really vague, and only suggesting they'd announce something.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I've said it when it was first announced. There is no good reason why this should be the PS4 announcement. I really hope it isn't because I can just sit here amused by what I imagine a ton of peoples faces will look like after it's not announced.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Covarr said:
I'd actually forgotten about that announcement, been too wrapped up with life this month. Thanks for the reminder, Grimes.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Was it even confirmed that it was a PS4 announcement? Everyone keeps assuming it is, but I thought I remember the video they released being really vague, and only suggesting they'd announce something.
The video in question labled by Sony was "PlayStation2013" So by deduction we can assume it's involving a Playstation console or hardware device. Along with the synonymous buttons of any controller. Granted it doesn't garentee any anything related to the PS4. At the same time however, there have not been any reports (to my knowledge) regarding technologies for the PS3 or Vita that would be appearing any time soon. Where as the PS4 has at least some plausable technical specs that would point to it's existance. I doubt they would have gone through the trouble to announce a trailer for a game, since that would be more of the responcibility of the publishers of the game, not Sony(excluding of course Sony developed games and marketing campaigns like this).

It could still be a red herring, and it could be simply something mundane or dissapointing. A new version of the PS3 or Vita is very possible. We have been lead to believe that sometime between now and May there might be news regarding the next generation of Playstation. Yes, we assume it might be on the 20th ,and it very well might just be a misdirection. I am in the "hoping for PS4 announcment" group myself because it feels like the right time frame for it, and definatly been enough time since the last generation began.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
You can bet that if Microsoft was making an announcement he would be saying that every soul on Earth would be talking about it. Fool. And of course, every single employee at Mircosoft will be waiting with baited breath for Sony's announcement because they need to know if they're in trouble or not.