Update: Richard Garriott: "Most Game Designers Really Just Suck"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Richard Garriott: "Most Game Designers Really Just Suck"

Garriott thinks the system is failing game designers, by funneling everyone who isn't clearly talented at either programming or art into design instead, leading to "lazy" designers.

"Other than a few exceptions, like Chris Roberts, I've met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am," Richard "Lord British" Garriott, creator of the Ultima series tells PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/19/richard-garriott-game-designers-suck/]. "What I'm saying is, I think most game designers really just suck, and I think there's a reason why," Garriott says, going on to explain that he thinks the system is failing would-be game designers.

"It's really hard to go to school to be a good designer," explained Garriott. He thinks that the majority of game designers only fall into the job because they are passionate enough about video games to want to develop them, but don't have any real skills as an artist or programmer. "We're leaning on a lot of designers who get that job because they're not qualified for the other jobs, rather than that they are really strongly qualified as a designer." He thinks that training options for would-be game designers are much rarer than those options available for artists and programmers.

"And every designer that I work with...I think, frankly, is lazy." Garriott says that for someone to be a "good" game designer, they have to really put in the hard yards like he did when he first started out, something that a lot of modern game designers just aren't willing to do. "They generally say, 'You know, I really like Medal of Honor, but I would have bigger weapons, or I would have more healing packs, or,' you know. They go to make one or two changes to a game they otherwise love versus really sit down and rethink, 'How can I really move the needle here?'"

"I think there's really very few great game designers," he continued, adding Peter Molyneux and Will Wright to his list of good designers. "They clearly exist, but on the whole, I think that the design talent in our industry is dramatically lower than we need, as an industry. It's a very hard skill to learn."

Very provocative words from Lord British, but if anyone is entitled to them, the man who practically invented the computer RPG is. Garriott's latest project, Shroud of the Avatar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122584-Lord-British-Presents-Shroud-of-the-Avatar] is currently in the early development stage, after recently reaching its Kickstarter goal.

Source & Image: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/19/richard-garriott-game-designers-suck/]

Update: A poster identifying himself as Garriott has clarified his comments, claiming that articles posted about them were written with a "sensationalist slant" and that his main point was that game design the hardest, yet most valuable skill in the industry.

"Thanks (NOT!) for the sensational headline! While I appreciate those of you who read the whole thing, to see better the whole context, even still, this article is skewed to make a sensationalist slant. My point was, that game design is the hardest, but also the most valuable skill to build in the industry. That every company lives and dies based on the talent of its game design team, and that as an industry we are not doing so well creating the talent we need in this industry, because educational systems have not caught up in this area as well as programming and art. I was not trying to toot my own horn, rather state that game design is hard. Ah well. :)"

Source (Update): Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/188854/I_think_most_game_designers_really_just_suck__Richard_Garriott.php#comment193602]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
No need to mince words Mr Gariott, say what you really mean.

Something tells me he won't be getting many party invites this year.

Dec 14, 2009
He's such an amazing game designer, in fact he's so good that I don't actually recall ever playing one of his games.

That's talent right there.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Fair enough. Just remember, Richard; if the design of Shroud Of The Avatar is bad, the internet will never let you live down what you have just said. That includes myself.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
What was that? That sounds an awful lot like me pulling my Kickstarter pledge. Ah well, more money to spend on games made by game designers that 'suck'.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Legion said:
No need to mince words Mr Gariott, say what you really mean.

Something tells me he won't be getting many party invites this year.
Lord British doesn't need party invites. He can just buy his own party. In space.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well thats one way to admit your egomaniac. You are such a good game designed that i have never played any of your games. i must suck that much right?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
He makes a good point, pity he had to be so egotistical about it. Proper design takes a knack that most people just don't have, and we see horribly designed games all the time.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
"I've met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am"
So Richard, tell us what games you've actually designed in the last, say, 23 years. What's that? Only Ultima and the massive flop that was Tabula Rasa? As the greatest game designer who has ever lived, I kind of expected there to be a bit more, you know, designing of games. Preferably great ones, but any at all would be a good start.

SwishiestB0g

Aug 7, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
Fair enough. Just remember, Richard; if the design of Shroud Of The Avatar is bad, the internet will never let you live down what you have just said. That includes myself.
I'm sure we'll just be too uneducated to understand his masterpiece!

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
His possible cockiness aside, I do think that he's right about the large majority of game designers today being incredibly lazy (or at least giving the appearance of such).

When was the last time you saw a company doing something NEW in a video game, something really unique?

As an example of what should be done, take FROM Software. In Demon's Souls, each world's end boss had a completely different mechanic, with a environmental boss, an aerial boss, a PVP boss, and a purely atmospheric boss. Beyond this, you had a blind boss, numerous giant bosses, and a multiplayer system really only replicated in its spiritual successor.

Yeah, some of those bosses ended up sucking (I personally loved the Dragon King, but many others hate environmental puzzle bosses), but they took risks that most developers just don't anymore.

How much of this is because of shitty designers, and how much is from publisher pressure, remains to be seen.

Sadly, most of the few instances I can think of in recent memory where the design was fantastic (or at least something a gamer would normally only dream of) generally had some other major flaw. BRINK, for example had massive potential, but horrendous execution. Those designers could work wonders at competent developer studios.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
He's such an amazing game designer, in fact he's so good that I don't actually recall ever playing one of his games.

That's talent right there.
Yes, because how can a game be good without your divine blessing. He basicly invented computerized RPGs. And hes kinda right, there are alot of shit game designers out there.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I agree with Richard, there just aren't that many good designers in the world and it becomes really clear when someone takes graphic / ad design and illustration. Good design ideas don't grow on trees: they are literal brain dumps that can take an hour or more of ones time. For example, try drawing 100 different ways to symbolize some kind of object. You'll probably notice that the first 75 or so are complete rehashes of existing ideas. That is the problem with the game industry at the moment: people are lazy and only instantiating those first three quarters of ideas thinking they are just that darn clever.

A good design should make people see at least some aspect of an existing theme in a new light, or even create a relation that didn't exist before. This is pretty much a constant regardless of what kind of design field one goes into (unless it's architecture or clothing design, but those have some pretty obvious mechanical limitations to take into consideration).

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
See, this just doesn't get the conversation moving.
Most people who should be interested in his argument will ignore it because he has just insulted them.
And most people who agree with him, hook-line-and-sinker, most likely are fanboys.
The point about how it is difficult to learn to become a game designer, will most likely drown in the pro-Garriott, anit-Garriott debate.
Also, I would not only say that it is difficult to aquire the skills of a game designer, but I would put the blame for it squarely on the current system.
It's not that there are "unqualified people" being put into those jobs. Whatever the industry does, it damn well makes sure you have some form of qualification before giving you top positions. They can check references.
Isn't it more likely, that even good game designers have to work in an industry that stiffles their game development on every new idea? Like, the game designer can be a complete genius - if all his new, good ideas get rejected by the top brass because they just want him to make a non-controversial knock-off version of a previous game his genius will not amount to much, will it?
And maybe that way new talent is conditioned to become what they loath: Office drone by day, extended propaganda machine in interviews and alcoholic by night.

Dec 14, 2009
Daemascus said:
Yes, because how can a game be good without your divine blessing.
I know right?

He basicly invented computerized RPGs. And hes kinda right, there are alot of shit game designers out there.
*cough*TabulaRasa*cough*

All talk and no trousers, what has he done recently?

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Whatever happened to the days that lordships were associated with outward humility and... you know... weren't self proclaimed?

Daemascus said:
He basicly invented computerized RPGs.
Yes, and Newton basically invented gravity. That doesn't mean he was right about energy.

Daemascus said:
And hes kinda right, there are alot of shit game designers out there.
There are also a lot of really good game designers out there, many of whom surpass Garriott. But some people reading this article might miss that perspective, because Garriott's arrogance is blocking the view.