Rumor: Silver Age Prequel Batman: Arkham Origins Coming This Year

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Rumor: Silver Age Prequel Batman: Arkham Origins Coming This Year

According to anonymous industry sources, Rocksteady Studios' next Batman title will be revealed at E3 2013.

Last month, a Time Warner earnings call revealed that the next game in the Batman: Arkham series was Gameblog [<a href=], the next Arkham game will be revealed at E3, with the title hitting next-gen systems in late 2013. Oh, and it won't be a sequel; instead, Batman: Arkham Origins will be a prequel inspired by the Silver Age of comics, which ran from the mid-1950s to around 1970.

This isn't the first time we've heard rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118401-Rumor-Rocksteady-Making-a-Silver-Age-Batman-Game] about a Silver Age Batman game, and the fact that Time Warner already let the cat out of the bag about the next Batman also lends support to this unconfirmed report. If true, Arkham Origins will have appearances from other Justice League members, like fan favorites Green Lantern and Superman.

It's already been reported that Arkham Asylum and Arkham City writer won't be back in his iconic role [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118869-Arkham-City-Writer-Isnt-Penning-the-Next-Batman-Game] as the voice of the Joker. If the next Arkham game is indeed due out in 2013, we'll likely hear more about it at E3; whether it turns out to be this long-rumored Silver Age prequel remains to be seen.

Source: CVG [http://www.gameblog.fr/news/34714-batman-arkham-origins-devoile-a-l-e3-2013-sur-next-gen]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Calling it now: Adam West as the Batman.

Also, the return of Bat-Shark Repellent to the Bat-Arsenal.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Calling it now: Adam West as the Batman.

Also, the return of Bat-Shark Repellent to the Bat-Arsenal.
No, you have to keep Kevin Conroy in this role, or no one will buy it... They already lost the writer of the last two games and the iconic voice of The Joker. As much as I love Adam West's camp, they will need Conroy to maintain credibility.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Just so you know Silver Age doesn't necessarily mean campy Adam West Batman

However it does mean crossovers and DCU which should be fun

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Not sure where I read this, but didn't Hamill already clarify he wasn't necessarily going to quit on Twitter after the initial statement?

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Aren't there also reports that Rocksteady isn't actually working on this game?

I hope I'm wrong, but I do remember reading that in various places.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I really want a sequel to Arkham City. One of the side missions created a perfect set up for a sequel. If you played it you know what I mean.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST!

YESSSSS!!!

Make it so, Mister Wharf.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
You know I always felt that the Arkham series was missing an unlockable mode where Bat-Punches result in "BAM!" "POW!" graphics appearing on screen.
Guess they were saving that for the sequel.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Yes, yes, yes. I need a break from all the dark and gritty Batman for a little while between Nolan, the Arkham games and even the comics (anyone read Death of the Family? Really liked it but wow, did that go messed up places. Some of that art work...), like I love all of those things SO much but as my recent viewing of the Brave and the Bold showed me, silly Batman fun is awesome.

My only two concerns here are that I saw something (think it was on Destructoid) a few weeks ago that this Arkham game isn't being made by Rocksteady but some other studio. I don't think you can really mess up an already near perfect combat system but it certainly gives pause for thought. The other thing is, next-gen. Now these games make far too much money for them to limit their audience to next-gen gamers only but the way this is all worded... I'm not confident enough to totally rule out the possibility of this game being next-gen only.

Now come on on-screen "POW!" "BASH!" etc during fights. :D

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
Yay. Already making room on my shelve. The batman arkham games are more fun than I as an immoral sinner am allowed to have. Though I will admit. Arkham origins sounds....... Not bad, but far from good. They should try another title.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'm calling it now: it all turns out to be an elaborate hallucination caused by the Scarecrow and Batman has to find a way to wake up from it.