EA Unveils the First Sims 3 Expansion Pack

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Unveils the First Sims 3 Expansion Pack

Sims 3 [http://www.ea.com], The Sims 3 World Adventures, will launch later this year.

The Sims is one of EA's premiere franchises and it was no great surprise when The Sims 3 became the publisher's best-selling PC launch of all time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92314-Sims-3-Best-Selling-EA-PC-Launch-Ever], punching out 1.4 million copies in its first week of sales. Neither should it be particularly shocking that an expansion, undoubtedly the first of many, is on the way.

The Sims 3 World Adventures will let players take their digital dudes to "real-world inspired destinations around the globe," where they will uncover brand-new, exotic adventures, challenges and secrets. Learn martial arts in Shang Simla, China, go on a romantic vacation in Champs Les Sims in France or explore the ancient Egyptian tombs of Al Simhara; each adventure is packed with opportunities to discover treasures, learn new skills and meet unique, interesting Sims from other cultures.

Calling it "one of the most robust expansion pack to The Sims yet," Sims General Manager Scott Evans said, "Players will be able to take their Sims on the adventure of a lifetime and explore lands outside of Sunset Valley and Riverview, pursue thrilling new life destinies in locations around the world inspired by famous destinations, and immerse themselves in the open-ended gameplay where they'll discover new cities in China, France, and Egypt, and share new stories."

The Sims 3 World Adventures will be released on November 16 for the PC and Mac, and will include 1000 SimPoints to be used in iPhone [http://store.thesims3.com/] and other mobile phones is slated to follow in early 2010.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
well that didn't take long, well we sertainly know they were done with this one before the actual game came out, which means not much effort and somthing that should have been in the origional release, which means somthing no one should even consider buying.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
Plazmatic said:
well that didn't take long, well we sertainly know they were done with this one before the actual game came out, which means not much effort and somthing that should have been in the origional release, which means somthing no one should even consider buying.
isn't that the EA sims marketing strategy?

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Well, I'm definitely getting this. The screenshots look excellent, and I'd love to see something like a bizarre romance subplot happening on vacation, with the husband totally cheating on the wife and staying to live in Egypt.

Killing the Sims is no fun. Making them suffer with a well-thought-out plan is gold.

PizzaDentist

May 6, 2009
I played the very first Sims game years ago for a few hours and haven't been bothered picking up any of them since.

How can people still be drawn in by this. I seriously just don't see the appeal.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Well that was quick. I don't know if I'll get this expansion. I'll wait and see once they release more info about it.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Did they really have to simify all location names? Seriously: Shang Simla, Champs Les Sims, Al Simhara? What's next? Simsterdam? Simlantic City? Simues Aires? Simadelphia?

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Surprise, surprise. Oh well, EA will still make a killing, so more power to 'em.

Superlordbasil

Feb 23, 2009
That was a surprisingly more original than i thought for their first add on i thought they would just rehash pets or something.

Wonder if they will get into trouble for stereotyping other cultures. the stereotype bartering in the Bazaar isn't a promising start.

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
woem said:
Did they really have to simify all location names? Seriously: Shang Simla, Champs Les Sims, Al Simhara? What's next? Simsterdam? Simlantic City? Simues Aires? Simadelphia?
I like Simlantic City. That's a good one.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Isn't this exactly the same as The Sims: On Holiday and The Sims 2: Bon Voyage?

'The Sims 4: Travelling the globe'? Anyone?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Hopefully this means you get a hot tub...

I promised myself that I would keep up with the expansions this time around and dammit, that's just what I'm going to do.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
For the first expansion pack, it looks pretty good. It makes me wonder about what else they have in store for us.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
*Thinking about Yahtzee references*
EA's cocaine bucket rain out fast this time. Those guys must be doing 20 lines an hour... Which kindof makes me wonder how they made the expansion so fast. OH WEAIT! it's just a slightly better version of The Sims 2 Bon Voyage. Of course, those cheap bastards.

raxiv said:
Let the milking commence!