Deep Silver Delivers Metro: Last Light PC Requirements

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deep Silver Delivers Metro: Last Light PC Requirements

Because you demanded it (and because it's only a month away) we present to you now the many and varied system requirements for the PC version of Metro: Last Light.

Does it feel weird to anyone else to describe Metro: Last Light as a Deep Silver game? Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, although I certainly have no major complaints about the THQ-published Metro 2033, but it's weird. "The Deep Silver shooter Metro: Last Light." That's going to take some getting used to.

Anyway, the game is coming ever closer to launch and in the fine tradition of such things, that means it's time to talk system requirements. Metro: Last Light is built upon the 4A Engine, the same technology that powered Metro 2033, so if you handled that game without any difficulty you'll probably have good luck with this one too. For those who remain uncertain, behold!

Minimum:

Windows: XP (32-Bit), Vista, 7 or 8
CPU: 2.2 GHz Dual Core e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 2GB
Direct X: 9.0c
Graphics Card: DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant e.g. NVIDIA GTS 250 (or AMD equivalent e.g. HD Radeon 4000 series) or higher

Recommended:

Windows: Vista, 7 or 8
CPU: 2.6 GHz Quad Core e.g. Intel Core i5
RAM: 4GB
Direct X: 11
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 580/660 Ti (or AMD equivalent e.g. 7870) or higher

Optimum

CPU: 3.4 GHz Multi-Core e.g. Intel Core i7
RAM: 8GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 690 / Nvidia Titan

Nvidia's 3D Vision is supported on compatible video cards with a 120 Hz monitor and NVidia 3D Vision kit for Windows Vista, 7 or 8.

I don't imagine that very many of us can meet the "optimum" spec but the "recommended" hardware should still provide a pleasantly horrific journey through the Moscow Metro. Do my words confuse you? For the benefit of those who find my mysterious language both strange and beautiful, the good folks at Nvidia have put together a little something that will tell you if your rig is ready with just the click of a button [http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/metro-last-light/gpu-analyzer].

Metro: Last Light [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Last-Light-Pc/dp/B0053BSMPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366222195&sr=8-2&keywords=Metro+Last+Light] comes out on May 14 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Optimum

I need to have $1000 graphics card to run the game optimally?! :sigh: looks like its time to break that bank ._.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Well, those are certainly some steep requirements on the optimal end of things. I 'only' have GTX 570, so I guess I will have to make due at settings slightly below recommended.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So I'm assuming it's just going to be like the witcher 2 where you look at the settings and say "Why the fuck do I need this on?". Metro 2033 looks good and imo it doesn't need Moar graphics.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah, the "optimum" settings only apply to someone who wants to run the game across multiple monitors at above 1080 resolution with the highest AA settings, some crazy PhysX stuff, and 120 fps. Maybe it has a weird "ubersampling" option too.

The really important stuff for me is getting the HD textures, some AA, and hopefully near 60 fps.

The minimal requirements are pretty ... minimal.

Sep 14, 2009
dang those are some hefty requirements in the graphics compartment compared to alot of games out there, will be interesting to see it in play.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I guess metro is the new benchmarking game. The first was tough on pcs for some reason even though it didn't look particularly nice. I'm also curious what each setting entails. I think recomended should be max everything 1080 at stable 30+ as that would be a "standard" way to play the game.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Seems like I am going to overshoot the optimal RAM requirements with... 24GB. too bad my GPU is "only" a GTX670.

Voren

Jun 26, 2010
OWWW....my elitist pride......Time to get a 2nd GTX 670 and SLI this game to death!

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Just by reading that, I noticed that the temperature monitor in my taskbar for my GPU just raised a few degrees.
These requirements are making my GTX 650 stress out! :C

Sssshhh, hush little baby. Everything will be okay...this game may hurt you, but I'm doing it because I love you.

stiffy

Mar 23, 2010
Metro 2033 was a nightmare to get running smoothly on pc. It looked great, but was poorly optimized. I have the feeling that they just "threw more wattage" at their design problems. Look at Dishonored (on PC). Not the most stunning DX11 (tessalation, ambient occlusion, particle fx)graphic showcase, but the game was visually stunning, because it was DESIGNED well. These guys (Crytek too) could learn from a few things about presentation from Arkane Studios. Visual innovation doesn't always come from a research/tech lab blowout. Hopefully Nvidia has given a them more than a few kickbacks for the future sales of their gpu's.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Nvidia Titan for optimal specs? Overkill maybe? I think that is rather absurd.

I barely have the specs for recommended, hope my GTX 560, 8gb ram and i5 should suffice to run this at high settings. I don't think I will even bother to touch ultra.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
WaitWHAT said:
RipVanTinkle said:
Sssshhh, hush little baby. Everything will be okay...this game may hurt you, but I'm doing it because I love you.
Graphics card S&M? ....I'm actually OK with this. [sub](Somehow.)[/sub]
Graphics cards are like Pokemon, they love being forced to fight and sometimes get beaten to a bloody pulp. We do it for exp points love and training. :D

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Well, I knew my graphics card would need replacing sometime about now, and there it is on the minimum requirements.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Pinkamena said:
Seems like I am going to overshoot the optimal RAM requirements with... 24GB. too bad my GPU is "only" a GTX670.
Not jealous, honest.

Having said that, my HIS7850 is proving surprisingly immune to projected requirements, so with any luck it'll run this on higher settings than Deep Silver think it will.

Still, nice to see Deep Silver staying stubbornly on the max out ALL the hardware line of thinking.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
DTWolfwood said:
Optimum

I need to have $1000 graphics card to run the game optimally?! :sigh: looks like its time to break that bank ._.
I'm pretty damn sure they mean that that's what it takes to run it

-At maximum Settings (including PhysX, presumably)
-At 1080p, 1440p or Eyefinity/Surround/3D
In all likelihood, even at the level the game will have frame rate drops. Much like how 2033 was a favored Benchmarking game. This one will presumably be the same.

Funny thing is i have everything except the graphics card. XD

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
This is ridicoulous. But it is actually good, because there's now a game that has better graphics than Crysis 3. Better Aesthetics is a thing about which we could talk all day, but I really loved Metro 2033's atmosphere, soooo... C3 is kind of the loser there too IMO.

Clovus said:
Yeah, the "optimum" settings only apply to someone who wants to run the game across multiple monitors at above 1080 resolution with the highest AA settings, some crazy PhysX stuff, and 120 fps. Maybe it has a weird "ubersampling" option too.
Nope... this is the 4A engine. For multi-monitor setups you'll probably need several Titans. Have you looked at the benchmarks for Metro 2033? To be able to run that game on max, you need a GTX680. And this game is going to have even better graphics.

Mind you, those are confined spaces with lots of rendering occluders. If one were to make a game like Far Cry 3 in the 4A engine, it would not only look even more amazing, but it would also require a GF Titan... on the "Minimum requirements" list.

Some background on 4A: These are the people that coded for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and deserted the company because they hated the old engine. And they made the 4A Engine... which is a technological marvel.

Just to clear something else up - Engine =/= good Graphics =/= Bloom. Effects are decided on by the developers and are always either attached to objects or whatever... it's dev choice. The engine only ever does the rendering and dictates how many different effects you can use and how you have to code UI and gameplay elements in (the CryEngine for example requires all UI elements to be parts of a flash movie, and all new gameplay elements are either Flowgraphed or coded in C++). CryEngine =/= tropical islands. However CryEngine = good dynamical shadows = nice and feasible looking indoor or forest areas because you don't need ambient lighting all that much.