Nordic Games Snags Lion's Share of THQ Properties

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Nordic Games Snags Lion's Share of THQ Properties

Darksiders, Red Faction, and Titan Quest could get sequels from the publisher behind Painkiller: Hell and Damnation.

Looking back, it's stunning to count how many intellectual properties THQ once controlled. The former publisher had its fingers in many pots, owning the rights to franchises like Homeworld, Saints Row, Darksiders, and many more. The company's variety made its bankruptcy all the more disappointing, but at least many THQ properties are making their way to new homes. <a href=www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123447-Gearbox-Snags-Homeworld-Rights>Fresh on the heels of Gearbox's Homeworld acquisition, Nordic Games revealed that it's secured a rather significant portion of THQ's catalog. The Painkiller HD and Book of Unwritten Tales publisher now holds the rights to Darksiders, Red Faction, Titan Quest, and several other recognizable franchises.

"In the long term, we either want to cooperate with the original creators or best possible developers in order to work on sequels or additional content for these titles," said Nordic Games CEO Lars Wingefors. "A very important point for us is not to dash into several self-financed multi-million dollar projects right away, but rather to continue our in-depth analysis of all titles and carefully selecting different financing models for developing new instalments of acquired IPs."

Not only is this big news about THQ's former properties, but it's a huge step forward for Nordic Games. The THQ auction officially marks the biggest acquisition in Nordic's history, who spent approximately $4.9 million to obtain 150 stock-keeping units. The transaction includes all the above-mentioned franchises, Destroy all Humans, MX vs. ATV, Supreme Commander, Marvel Super Hero Squad, and more. Even licensing for Wheel of Fortune games are now held by Nordic. For comparison, Gearbox's winning bid for Homeworld alone cost $1.35 million.

All transactions between Nordic Games and THQ will be brought before the US Bankruptcy Court on May 13, at which point the transfer should become official. We still shouldn't expect a new Titan Quest or Red Faction game for some time, but the prospect of original creators returning to these franchises should be promising to a great many fans.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
First things first, I hope this means we'll be getting a retail release of Darksiders 2 + DLC bundle.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Nordic games seems into that kind of stuff, they also made the second addon to spellforce 2. That one wasn't really good, but i think it's kinda because they couldn't get phenomic, since they are owned by EA now. (And have not made anything noteworthy since they got bought, good one EA!)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I would love to see a proper Red Faction: Guerilla sequel, I'm not sure if they've got the money power to pull it off though

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
WOOOO YES.
Now make that Darksiders 3, and make a decent Red Faction game!(Other than Guerilla)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Maybe Darksiders 3 won't be the pure shit that 2 was.
I doubt it, but maybe.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Now if they have somebody patch Darksiders 2 (so many bugs, can't even play the last piece of DLC) they'll be alright in my books. Unlikely to happen but a man can dare to dream.

Telumektar

Jul 7, 2010
Titan Quest! That game was a better, longer, nicer to play and fully customizable Diablo 3. Five years before Diablo 3.
I liked D3, but I knew I had played that game not so long ago.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
The ball is in your court Nordic. A Platinum Games + Crytek USA Superstar Tagteam for Darksiders 3. I don't care how unlikely this is. If you make this happen, I'd open my bank account SO HARD.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
I thought Deep Silver bought Volition, who own the Red Faction Franchise (as it is related to Saints Row)

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Hmm, I dunno - Painkiller HD's struck me as a colossally lazy game, half remake half trying to be its own canon story + not quite pulling off either. Intriguing to see a new publisher trying to give things a serious go though, wonder how this'll turn out

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Dunno what to make of this. I liked Titan Quest and even Darksiders (despite it being a colossale rip-off of several popular games) but I don't exactly feel a great demand for sequels and I kinda doubt their finances and ability to elevate these franchises beyond mediocrity. Prove me wrong Nordic Games :)

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Telumektar said:
Titan Quest! That game was a better, longer, nicer to play and fully customizable Diablo 3. Five years before Diablo 3.
I liked D3, but I knew I had played that game not so long ago.
I would like to add that IMO it was better looking as well.

andersgeek

Jul 6, 2010
Well, bugger.
It's not that I don't like the prospect of new titles in some of these series, and Nordic Games' intention of working with the original developers where possible [hint: it's very unlikely, sadly], but I don't trust Nordic Games with their "let's do some lazy sequel and cash in big time" approach which they took wholesale from their JoWooD acquisition. :/

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well... How bad can it go under Nordic's command? Hopefully they have investors with more than one brain cell between them, and execs who have at least heard of the true nature of the gaming market.

Telumektar

Jul 7, 2010
Gardenia said:
I would like to add that IMO it was better looking as well.
For a game released in 2006 (the 2007 expansion fixed some bugs, though) it looked really well. In fact even D3's physics reminded me a lot of Titan Quest's.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
A possible new Darksiders... from the same guys who made Painkiller?

I can think of plenty worse situations that could have happened. In fact, this is pretty good! And Titan's Quest too. That's just awesome. ^^