26 year later: The new season of Twin Peaks.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Dear Escapist friends,

After more than 25 year the cult television show Twin Peaks is going to get a long awaited continuation. So, for those of you not familiar with Twin Peaks, let's start with the basics:

What is Twin Peaks and why should I care?

Twin Peaks was a short lived but rather influential television series from the early 90s. It was an unusual blend of genres about an eccentric but lovable FBI agent investigating the murder of a popular high school girl in a small lumbering town in the american pacific northwest. During these investigations he's not only confronted with the towns criminal underbelly but also the supernatural powers that seem to have great influence of the town and its people. When I say it was influential I really mean it. The blend of police procedural and supernatural mysticism in the first season of True Detective? That's inspired by Twin Peaks. The contrast between almost comically quaint small town life and gritty crime and personal intrigue from Fargo? That's inspired by Twin Peaks. The weird, surrealist dream sequences on the Sopranos? You bet that's inspired by Twin Peaks.

Twin Peaks was the brainchild of Mark Frost and David Lynch. Despite Twin Peaks being my favourite television show I still have not much of an idea who Mark Frost is. He's a guy who's been involved in american television for a while now. Also, he was a writer on the older Fantastic Four movies. But let's not hold that against him. Let's rather talk about the other guy: David Lynch.

Who's David Lynch?

The old dude in my avatar. David Lynch is an american... artist. When I say he's an artist I mean he's a painter, a musician, a playwright, an author and, most famously, a movie director. He's also a mildly crazy person which becomes pretty clear if you've seen... basically any of his movies. His most famous ones include his debut, 1978s smash hit family comedy Eraserhead (Jokes aside though, look it up. There's no way I could describe it that'd do it justice.), the Oscar nominated drama The Elephant Man and a lot of other stuff, most of which was weird and artsy. He's one of Hollywoods very own auteurs, a strange man making strange movies, most of them very good. His last one, Inland Empire, was made 10 years ago which marks the continuation of Twin Peaks as kind of a comeback for him. Lynch was directing and editing every single episode of Twin Peak's new season which means... we might be in for quite a ride.

So what is the new season gonna be about?

Fucked if I knew. The original show ended prematurely, means a lot of plot threads were left open. I'm not gonna talk about the ending in case people are watching it now for the first time but there are alot of ways the show can go from there. Now, Lynch was never exactly big on providing conclusive answers so I'm not expecting any but what we do know is that the show's probably gonna pick up 25 years after the old one ended and is probably gonna be quite different in both content and scale. What that means I couldn't possibly tell you but I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's gonna have a lot of surprises in store, even for fans of the original two seasons. Doesn't help that the marketing so far has been a fairly minimalistic affair. Here's the closest thing to a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdRG0mJj-w

it sure is something.

So, for those unfamiliar with Twin Peaks: Why the hell haven't you watched Twin Peaks yet? 's pretty good. For those who are familiar with it: What are your hopes, fears and expectations for the new season? Has Dave Lynch still got it? Is it future or is it past?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
We'll see how it goes. I consider Twin Peaks a fenomenal show, but I'm not going to pretend that more than half of it wasn't complete shit. It went from being a quirky/spooky mystery show with a dash of soap opera to straight-up soap opera. This is mainly due to studio interference, but it still happened. As soon as Laura Palmer's killer gets revealed the show takes an instant nose dive.

I am glad they got Mark Frost back also, because I think a lot of people neglect his influence and act like it's all just Lynch's baby. It likely wouldn't have had that smalltown charm -- the very thing that Cooper falls in love with -- without him.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
inu-kun said:
I watched TP last year and it's simply amazing a perfect blend of great characters and atmosphere, though I quit after the murderer reveal since I've heard it's all downhill from there.
Yes and no. It picks up again... eventually. Mainly for the season finale. See, after the main plot about Lauras murder was resolved the writers didn't know what the hell they should do with it and Lynch was off somewhere else having Nicolas Cage sing Elvis songs. But he came back and directed one hell of a last episode. But you have to sit through a hell of a lot of inconsequential bullshit to get there.

Also, by all means, watch the prequel movie. If you've got the time, try the 3,5 hour fancut including the cut material based on Lynch's original script. I'd hesitate to say it's the definitive version seeing how you can kinda see why a lot of it was cut to make for a more streamlined movie but if you want more Twin Peaks it's certainly the most Twin Peaks you're gonna get.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I can't tell you how excited I am for this. Twin Peaks is seriously my favorite live-action show, and I've been a fan since I was first exposed to it about a decade ago. I have all the books, miscellaneous bits of lore, and even Dale Cooper's audio autobiography. While I wasn't as much of a fan of the movie since it didn't add that much to the overall story, I am dying to have more of this in my life. My biggest problem with the show wasn't the way things meandered about in the second season after Laura's killer was revealed (though holy shit, that was great), it was the cliffhanger ending. I know that's all the suits' fault, but still... It was the narrative equivalent of slamming your fun bits in a car door. All I want is some sort of closure for the characters and for you know who to finally get what's coming to him.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I only watched the show 11 years ago but even back then it never crossed my mind that it would get a revival, so I'm overjoyed. I like that they got Lynch and Frost back, that they're writing every episode (and Lynch's directing them all), and that they got most of the cast back, and that in a strange way all of this was foretold by canon ("See you in 25 years..."). I just hope they're back the proper way rather than just chipping in cameos while all the new pretty faces steal the spotlight.

Kinda weird that Michael Ontkean and Michael J. Anderson aren't back but whatever, I guess they chose not to. Don't know how they're going to shoot around the death of BOB's actor though.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Did you hear that Zach? Twin Peaks is getting a new season!

Directed by David Lynch in 1990-1991, it followed the investigation of a young woman in a small town. Kyle MacLachlan did a great job as Special Agent Dale Cooper. He evoked such confidence and intelligence, with just a hint of mystique. It's an image of the FBI that has stayed with me all these years, it even helped inspire me to join the bureau. The show ended on a cliff hanger though, I've always wondered what really happened in that lodge. I know Zach, once this case is over we should watch the new season and find out together.

Zach, is there something here that you want to check out? We're supposed to go through Anna Graham's file at the Sheriff's office, but if you want to act on a hunch, then I'm with you.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
inu-kun said:
I watched TP last year and it's simply amazing a perfect blend of great characters and atmosphere, though I quit after the murderer reveal since I've heard it's all downhill from there. From what I gather David Lynch is in control which removes my fears of a continuation without him.
Yeah, the show slowly, then quickly runs downhill after the murder reveal because Lynch had no intention of ever actually revealing who killed laura palmer and the network forced his hand. It also didn't help that Lynch went off to work on a film during season 2 which explains why the quality went to shit pretty fast. The saving grace was the final episode started to get everything back together, only to end on a cliffhanger.

And then the movie Fire Walk with me was a prequel.

Though I'm gonna admit, most of the things that take inspiration from Twin Peaks I tend to enjoy a lot more then Twin Peaks itself just because of the general lack of filler in the inspired works.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Drathnoxis said:
Did you hear that Zach?
Sir, you have your gaming priorities in order. *tips hat*

OT: I never expected a third season to come out, but my cineastic heart was overjoyed when I read the cast list. It's amazing which high prolific actors the new season could gather. But I think the most amazing fact is that a character stated that they would meet again in 25 years. Which is... yeah.

Aug 31, 2012
Huh. Interesting. That's a bit of a blast from the past. Kind of weird seeing it in HD widescreen. I'm not 13 anymore, so I imagine it'd be the sort of thing that would maybe have a bit of nostalgia value, not that I'm going to subscribe to anything to watch it.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
I'm very much looking forward to it. I only watched the series for the first time about five years ago. And I just finished watching it again a few weeks ago in preparation for the new series. I rewatched Fire Walk With Me the other day as well. The show has its issues but overall I enjoyed it.

My main hope for the new series is that Lynch takes some cues from modern serialised shows in terms of structure. I'd prefer a more focused story where everything ties into the main plot as opposed to the soap opera-ish nature of the original series with a bunch of unrelated stories running in parallel. In fact, it's probably an unpopular opinion but I kind of hold Fire Walk With Me as the gold standard of Twin Peaks storytelling. It's not my favourite part of the overall plot and it was a bit disappointing that it was a prequel but it's basically all of the stuff I like about Twin Peaks condensed into a couple of hours with all of the unnecessary fluff removed.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I have not yet seen anything by Lynch at all so far...as far as I'm aware. Really want to, but I hate watching anything alone these days, yet there isn't anyone locally that would appreciate existential arty direction, and I'm sure there aren't many non-local that would either. *Sigh* am going to have to do some cunning convincing yet again it would seem.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Xsjadoblayde said:
I have not yet seen anything by Lynch at all so far...as far as I'm aware. Really want to, but I hate watching anything alone these days, yet there isn't anyone locally that would appreciate existential arty direction, and I'm sure there aren't many non-local that would either. *Sigh* am going to have to do some cunning convincing yet again it would seem.
Just a word of caution: Do not start with Eraserhead if you've never seen a lynch movie. That movie really, really wierd and disturbing, probably more like a nightmare then anything else Lynch has ever done.

It's a good film, but god if it isn't fucking creepy and wierd.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Dalisclock said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Just a word of caution: Do not start with Eraserhead if you've never seen a lynch movie. That movie really, really wierd and disturbing, probably more like a nightmare then anything else Lynch has ever done.

Are you implying Eraserhead is anything other than an uplifting and highly enjoyable tale about fatherhood and living in the worst part of Philadelphia, as imagined by Hieronymus Bosch?

Seriously though, I saw it when I was 14. Maybe 15 but probably 14. For those among you keeping score, that's about 8 years ago. I wouldn't go as far as to say it made me the man I am today but it sure had a major impact on me.

You're absolutely right though, a better place to start would be Mulholland Drive or maybe Blue Velvet. Or, you know... just Twin Peaks.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Dalisclock said:

Weird and disturbing nightmares are not a worry as much as the potential for not understanding references that a film may be utilising. As long as it's self-contained in what it wants to portray, it can be as horrifying as it wants.
I did check out a site that gave some light onto what to expect and where might be a good path to take for the filmography, which is this'n;

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/fast-track-fandom-where-begin-david-lynch

But basically, the order they went for is;

Twin-Peaks
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart
Lost Highway
Eraserhead
Mulholland Dr.

With less emphasis on seeing;

The Elephant Man
Dune
Fire Walk with me
INLAND EMPIRE (It seems to always be in caps, so am assuming that is how it is).
The Straight Story

And hardly any emphasis on;

On the Air
Hotel Room
Rabbits

I am not sure how credible such opinions are however.
Thougu Eraserhead sounds a little like Tetsuo in style from the info so far.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Tetsuo and a lot of japanese cyberpunk movies in general was strongly inspired by Eraserhead. But conceptually Eraserhead is a lot more... I'm not sure I'd say grounded but perhaps more relatable than a lot of these movies. Eraserhead is, at the end of the day, about some pretty human experiences and emotions. Now, bear with me, because this might be a bit subjective, but I feel like it does a wonderful job of portraying the mind of a person suffering from certain anxieties where the world around them starts to feel monstrous and oppressive.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Tetsuo and a lot of japanese cyberpunk movies in general was strongly inspired by Eraserhead. But conceptually Eraserhead is a lot more... I'm not sure I'd say grounded but perhaps more relatable than a lot of these movies. Eraserhead is, at the end of the day, about some pretty human experiences and emotions. Now, bear with me, because this might be a bit subjective, but I feel like it does a wonderful job of portraying the mind of a person suffering from certain anxieties where the world around them starts to feel monstrous and oppressive.
Yeah, it reads in some places that the film was an imagining of the director's own fears and anxieties, which would make sense that they would have the best tools at their disposal to effectively experiment in portraying those to others. Tetsuo was indeed a far more detached, in a mechanical sense, experience. Am curious, I shall retire to my chambers to dwell on next course of coercion.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Can you tell me the time it airs today? I've heard 9pm but don't know if that's Eastern or Pacific.
I can tell you it's at 3 in the morning where I live but chances are that's not gonna help you much. Showtimes' site says "PREMIERE MAY 21 AT 9PM ET/PT" so that's that.