Eternal Darkness Successor Shadow of the Eternals Enters the Light

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Eternal Darkness Successor Shadow of the Eternals Enters the Light

Details spill forth about this crowdfunded, episodic horror game.

It's hard to have a serious conversation about the survival horror genre without mentioning Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. A rare M-rated treat on the Gamecube, it succeeded in bringing deeply unnerving horror with layered storytelling and unique mechanics. While critically praised, developer Silicon Knights eventually produced a string of flops and vanished in the flash of a lawsuit. Now, a new game has appeared, claiming to be its spiritual successor "from the creators of Eternal Darkness". It's called [a href=http://shadowoftheeternals.com/]Shadow of The Eternals[/a] and they're asking for $1.5 million dollars of your dollars to bring it to life.

As with all investigations into the bizarre and paranormal, the details are still a bit vague. The [a href=http://shadowoftheeternals.com/]Shadow of The Eternals[/a] web site simply shows a counter and the [a href=http://precursors-game.com/]Precursor Games[/a] site is dead. Some enterprising people over at [a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56760732&postcount=80]NeoGAF[/a] grabbed a cached copy of the site that detailed a crowdfunding campaign. Now those too have been swallowed into the abyss. Yet, the gumshoes at IGN dove head-first into the matter and [a href="http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/03/eternal-darkness-spiritual-successor-shadow-of-the-eternals-headed-to-wii-u-pc" nofollow]pried[/a] some straight answers out of Precursor Games.

Shadows of The Eternal will be launching on the PC and WiiU initially. Starting May 6th, Precursor Games is starting a crowdfunding campaign to make the title. They're asking for $1.5 million, but there will also be the requisite stretch goals, which will include "future episodes, additional characters, additional platforms and in-game perks", according to the developer. Right now, they're looking at replicating the multiple characters and eras from the original game though 12 episodes. Of course, the awesome sanity system will return.

Not much is known about this new studio yet, except that it's Canadian, and ex-Silicon Knights boss Denis Dyack is on board as "chief creative officer". While being billed "from the creators of Eternal Darkness, it's not clear yet how many Silicon Knights vets are on the team. Expect more details once Shadow of The Eternals can officially get it's PR machine rolling next week.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
This could be really cool. I watched a full play-through of Eternal Darkness, and I thought that it was a fantastic concept held back by the limitations of its platform/the technology available.

With better controls (and please bring back Jennifer Hale) I'd totally pick it up.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
If this is anywhere close to as good as Sanity's Requiem, I'll be getting it. That's my favorite horror title of all time so far, and one of, if not my most played Gamecube game.

Although, if it keeps the mechanic of technical errors as sanity effects, I will need to get a WiiU for it. While the memory card errors and such were unnerving on the GC, I've never actually had technical issues with it. Those mechanics on the PC however, would be too likely to seem like real errors. Imagine, you're low on sanity and suddenly, bluescreen.

Now, time to replay this!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Derek Dyack is on board for the game? Well, there goes any hope of it being any good. Or coming out on time. I would really like a new ED game, and I would really like to believe it would be good, but... I can't, I just can't. D:

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh man, if it's anywhere near as good as the first one I'll definitely be picking this up.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
IanDavis said:
and ex-Silicon Knights boss Derek Dyack is on board as "chief creative officer".
Denis Dyack isn't it

Anyway good news I suppose if it works out.ED was one of the best GC games.Kinda surprised Nintendo didn't pick this up seeing as it's probably one of the most requested sequels from the GC era

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
I never say this, but an Eternal Darkness sequel... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
The game that inspired my username?! Gimme!

*Does some internetting*

Okay. IGN has posted a teaser trailer (why do they always get the good stuff first?! *sigh*):

http://ign.com/videos/2013/05/03/shadow-of-the-eternals-teaser-trailer

From what I could tell... this looks like a mixture between an HD remake and some new levels. I recognised Anthony's level in there, but they also seemed to have him standing in the middle of a lava pit, which certainly didn't happen (then again, sanity effects...)

And there was a strange woman hanging about who seemed to know stuff about the book - please tell me we are not going to have everything about the mythology explained to us by her. Eternal Darkness worked because you HAD to work things out for yourself.

Also, no immediate signs of sanity effects in the teaser - and frankly, if you're looking to sell an Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor, your teaser should be nothing BUT sanity effects...

So I'm cautious. Cautiously optimistic, but cautious...

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm curious about why it's PC and WiiU. Last case like this, Shovel Knight, had a somewhat obvious explanation. Not sure about this one. Still, if this does get funded, I'm getting it on WiiU. With the first game on the Gamecube, it just feels right.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
kiri2tsubasa said:
Were I a betting man then my bet is that they didn't want to conflict their child friendly image of the Wii with a sequel to an M rated game.
Eternal Darkness was M rated in the states?It only had a 15+ rating here which(if I'm getting the US rating system correct)would be the equivalent of a T rating.I doubt that's the case anyway as their family friendly image hasn't stopped them from publishing Bayonetta 2 which I assume will have a 18+ rating just like the first

Maybe it's to do with the fact that despite being critically acclaimed and a cult classic Eternal Darkness wasn't exactly a massive seller if I remember rightly

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MetalDooley said:
Eternal Darkness was M rated in the states?It only had a 15+ rating here which(if I'm getting the US rating system correct)would be the equivalent of a T rating.
T starts at 13, M starts at 17. A game that's 15 overseas is likely "too mature" for 13 year olds.

On topic, I might pitch in a few bucks depending on what more info we get.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Now, while I quite liked The Twin Snakes for the gameplay changes it made to the original Metal Gear Solid, Silicon Knights really caught lightning in a bottle with Eternal Darkness and never did anything else noteworthy. So, saying it's the same guys rising from the ashes of that studio... isn't really a heartwarming thought.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The fact that Dyack is on board actually ruins this for me. I didn't hate Too Human, and ED and Twin Snakes were great, but that guy doesn't inspire confidence in me. I feel like Silicon Knights have had their successes in spite of him, rather than because of him.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Now, while I quite liked The Twin Snakes for the gameplay changes it made to the original Metal Gear Solid, Silicon Knights really caught lightning in a bottle with Eternal Darkness and never did anything else noteworthy.
Nothing else noteworthy? Uh, might I direct your attention to a certain Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain? Though I will concede that Silicon Knights never did anything noteworthy AFTER Eternal Darkness.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
remnant_phoenix said:
shrekfan246 said:
Now, while I quite liked The Twin Snakes for the gameplay changes it made to the original Metal Gear Solid, Silicon Knights really caught lightning in a bottle with Eternal Darkness and never did anything else noteworthy.
Nothing else noteworthy? Uh, might I direct your attention to a certain Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain? Though I will concede that Silicon Knights never did anything noteworthy AFTER Eternal Darkness.
I'd love my attention to be directed toward it, but it's so old now at this point that I couldn't get it running on my laptop when I tried.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
oh MAN!
i have to try really hard to stay cool on this, because FINALLY, after all those years, i can whole-heartedly shout:
shut up and take my money!!

Eternal Darkness needs a sequel sooo bad (and i rarely say that) - there just isn't enough of it yet!
the spellcasting system really was something else, and the insanity effects... pure awesomenessness

2 days to go to shove my money down it's abysmal throat :D