Blizzard Celebrates A Year Of Diablo III With Bonus XP, Loot

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Blizzard Celebrates A Year Of Diablo III With Bonus XP, Loot

Diablo III hit retail one year ago, and to commemorate the occasion Blizzard Entertainment wants to convince you to play its flagship dungeon crawl even more than you do now.

From now until May 21, those of you who log in to Battle.net to play Diablo III will notice two pretty significant boons awarded to your characters by Blizzard in celebration of the game's first birthday. Specifically, your characters will see a 25-percent increase in the rate at which they accrue experience points, as well as a 25-percent buff to their magic item finding capabilities. End result: More loot, quicker leveling, and a better time is had by all.

Any caveats? Of course. Here's how Blizzard explains things: "The buff is only available while logged in to the game, but it will apply to all characters as well as stack with other similar bonuses - the +EXP bonus will stack multiplicatively and the Magic Find bonus will stack above the 300% cap!"

Obviously, if you're one of the vocal minority who loudly despises Diablo III for whatever reason, then this short-term generosity likely doesn't do much for you. Sorry. If it helps, you've only got to deal with the game's birthday celebrations for another week or so, and then you can go back to ignoring and/or railing against the title.

For more info on Blizzard's planned festivities, you can visit the firm's official Diablo III site, otherwise now would be a prime opportunity to murder a whole bunch of demons. Take the next week off. Your boss will understand.

Source: Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9691896/less-cake-more-demons-happy-anniversary-diablo-iii-5-15-2013]

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
So if I buy and play it now my experience will be ruined by the altered balance?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Obviously, if you're one of the vocal minority who loudly despises Diablo III for whatever reason, then this short-term generosity likely doesn't do much for you.Sorry. If it helps, you've only got to deal with the game's birthday celebrations for another week or so, and then you can go back to ignoring and/or railing against the title.
Does the escapist staff have an award for most condescending contributor?
Not yet, but that's a great idea!

Man, I hope it comes with a cash bonus.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Obviously, if you're one of the vocal minority who loudly despises Diablo III for whatever reason, then this short-term generosity likely doesn't do much for you.Sorry. If it helps, you've only got to deal with the game's birthday celebrations for another week or so, and then you can go back to ignoring and/or railing against the title.
Does the escapist staff have an award for most condescending contributor?
If we could vote for someone to get fired... I could totally get behind that.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Does the staff have an award for most condescending contributor?

I feel that a lot of the escapist staff slip into these fanboy-ist mentalities, which is one of the major reasons why I feel this site falls short when it comes to getting accurate reviews. If a staff member has a passionate love for a certain developer even if they make a game and implement bad decisions (like Blizzard and Bioware), said staff member will ream against people who dare think different from them.

As for Diablo 3, I found the combat to be boring and the story leagues weaker than what was produced in 1 and 2. The real money auction house was a simple ploy to get more money from the buyers of the game without actually doing any work and forcing people to stay online for it (yes, that is only reason it is online, not for it being an MMO or some other half-assed PR rhetoric shoveled out) was outright irritating.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
BlindTom said:
So if I buy and play it now my experience will be ruined by the altered balance?
Nope, it means you 'll actually get to see what the game would be like if it wasn't balanced around requiring the Auction House.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
wow ...

your absolutely right :D this does noting to make me wanna reinstall it.

sides I have Torchlight 2 :p I can set my own drop rate and EXP curve should I so desire.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I'll have to stomach blizzard festivities somewhere on the internet for a whole week? I feel nauseous already!

Jaden Kazega

Nov 12, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
wow ...

sides I have Torchlight 2 :p I can set my own drop rate and EXP curve should I so desire.
Not to mention, at least if you're into that, the mods. I personally don't know how to mod TL2 since I didn't buy it from Steam, but can imagine the fun one could have with that. lol

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
OH BOY ANOTHER DIABLO 3 NEWS PIECE

I am so excited to read all these comments.

What's that? Objectively bad game design? Poor implementation of the Auction House? Nothing like the predecessor? Jay Wilson killed your pet goldfish and fed it to a starving raccoon? Chris Metzen personally went up to your door and slapped your sick and elderly grandma before saying "BATTLE CRUISER OPERATIONAL, HOTSAUCE."

Thrilled.

OT: Cool. I'll probably log on to level my HC character on MP10 with this to get some serious cash, yo. Not... Actual cash. I am not providing alternative methods of gold trading
I DON'T SELL ITEMS

DON'T BAN ME.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Jaden Kazega said:
Lunar Templar said:
wow ...

Not to mention, at least if you're into that, the mods. I personally don't know how to mod TL2 since I didn't buy it from Steam, but can imagine the fun one could have with that. lol
its got a mod manager in the launcher, a button with a gear on it, so it's pretty easy to manage them. I assume the non steam version is the same just due to ease

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Damn I can't believe its been a year since I've been scammed and never looked at blizzard the same way again. Time flies. lol

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Lunar Templar said:
Jaden Kazega said:
Lunar Templar said:
wow ...

its got a mod manager in the launcher, a button with a gear on it, so it's pretty easy to manage them. I assume the non steam version is the same just due to ease
The best part is, I have a few mods added on to help make it look like Diablo. Very simple to manage. As for Diablo 3 bonus XP and loot. Well there's mods for THAT too.

TinmanX

Apr 29, 2011
I really do not understand why people complained about the story being terrible in this game. I'm not saying its not, I just don't understand why it was such a crucial aspect of the game for you to be able to enjoy it. What exactly are you doing in the game? Are you even playing it? You know, figuring out interesting builds and gear setups to do different things?

The Diablo series has always been about killing hordes of monsters, getting loot and trading, something it manages to do well. That's it. Do you complain about Mario having a crap story? What about Quake 3: Arena? Tetris? Any illusionary narrative or gameplay expectations you were expecting the game to have are purely your own and if you set yourself up to be dissapointed, then that's your own fault.

I swear this generation of gamers are so spoilt and feel so entitled to things that don't exist that its just sickening to hear about their complaints. Don't get me wrong, the game definitely has problems. However it is nowhere near as 'terrible' as the vocal minority keeps saying it is.

Now then, I will personally enjoy this temporary buff and level my MP10 Hota+Rend Barb to Paragon 100 while keyfarming, possibly followed by a few Uber runs with a Calamity+MFD DH, double whirlwind barb and Conviction spam Monk. Hopefully get a good Hellfire ring out of it too. All the while totally IGNORING the 'story' which impacts the game so SEVERELY!!!

Didn't understand that last paragraph? That's because you actually didn't PLAY the game.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Celebrating?"
Yeah, let me get right on that. I think I have a proper dirge for the occasion somewhere around here...

Earnest Cavalli said:
Obviously, if you're one of the vocal minority who loudly despises Diablo III for whatever reason, then this short-term generosity likely doesn't do much for you. Sorry. If it helps, you've only got to deal with the game's birthday celebrations for another week or so, and then you can go back to ignoring and/or railing against the title.
I chuckled, I admit.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Damn, I just had a major Diablo 3 splurge a few weeks ago and now I'm right in the middle of Xcom, Tales of Monkey Island, Sins of a Solar Empire, League of Legends and Revenge of the ***** so I don't see myself getting around to playing Diablo 3 again any time soon.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Forget what I thought about you regarding the Sid Meier post title (not that you would know, seeing as I didn't say anything about it until right now). From now on, if I happen to look at the name of a news posts author and if I happen to remember your name, I'll be all like "That guy. That's the guy who said that thing about D3 that I agreed with. Right on."