Fans Plead With Sony: "Stay Away From DRM"

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Fans Plead With Sony: "Stay Away From DRM"

Sony execs have said that they're listening, but haven't given any indication of what Sony will do.

After the Xbox One reveal, some folks' attention turned to Sony and its PlayStation 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/7345-PlayStation-4-First-Look]. But some fans are worried Sony might be tempted to follow Microsoft's line, particularly with regards to DRM. You may have noticed a couple new hashtags doing the Twitter rounds, #PS4NoDRM and #PS4USEDGAMES, tags that got momentum after being popularized on NeoGAF and Reddit. People using those tags are, as an open letter to Sony puts it, "requesting you to keep things on PS4 as they are on PS3, when it comes to physical disc rights and second hand discs." Fans are being asked to target Sony executives directly, including the likes of Shuhei Yoshida, John Koller, Guy Longworth and Scott Rohde; the idea being to persuade Sony not to go down the road that Xbox One seems to be lingering on.

"This is why I love PlayStation fans," It hasn't been confirmed for the PS4 [https://twitter.com/jpkoller/statuses/338875150017642496], neither has it been denied.

If Sony listens, and if Xbox One's message regarding used games and always online remain so far [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124216-Microsoft-Hints-at-Pre-Owned-Fee-For-Xbox-One-Games], the PS4 could enjoy a significant popularity boost, come launch.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-28-sony-execs-respond-to-ps4nodrm-online-campaign]

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Considering how Microsoft still hasn't gotten their shit together, if Sony can come out with a clear answer they could make the best first impression and push more hype for the PS4.

Dec 14, 2009
They will most likely listen.

Not because they care about customers, but because they've already seen the clusterfuck that is the Xbone.

Only a moron would do the same thing.

Wait.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
I trust they have the good judgement not to use DRM. After all, they still made the PS2-PS1.

Although if they muck this up after the disaster of the Xbox One... some skulls are gonna get smashed, some bodies are gonna get buried and some houses are going to ignite.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
No DRM in terms of physical media and a continuation of online multiplayer and other services (I,e. Netflix) not requiring an Xbox live style subscription to get to are two things that would probably all bit guarantee me picking the Ps4 over the Xbox one.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
My guess is that they are waiting for Microsoft to fully confirm their stance on the Online-Authentification and Used Game Sales issue. Once they do, they will most likely come out and say, "You know how Microsoft is basically bum-fucking you? Yea, well we are not going to do that!"

They will get a ton of good PR and an increase of sales, compared to Xbox One.
This is what I see them doing. Plus they'd have to be stupid to let an opportunity like this go by them. Their stocks have increased a good amount and if they make the right decisions then they will see the benefits of all those people saying that they will be jumping ship from the Xbox One to the PS4. I mean they made a nice PR decision with the Notch and gold PSone so perhaps they fired the idiot PR team and hired competent ones. Plus if they have a good E3 and good launch, along with some nice exclusives then perhaps we can return to the era of the PS2 with the massive third-party support.
Daystar Clarion said:

Not because they care about customers, but because they've already seen the clusterfuck that is the Xbone.

Wait.
With some of their recent decisions I think they might have thrown the idiots into the pits of Tartarus and hired competent people to do their PR work. They may be making these good decisions though out of fear of being thrown into the pits as well. Mainly because I think that's where they keep Kratos and Sackboy.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Wait.
Pretty much this. The xbone is already on the ropes. Deciding to pull the same shit would effectively be like playing mortal kombat, having your opponent staggering and helpless with that demon voice shouting "FINISH HIM" and then managing to KO yourself as well.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Neronium said:
Mainly because I think that's where they keep Kratos and Sackboy.
Wait, what is wrong with sackboy?

I mean, look at that cute face. You can't say that cute face deserves to be thrown into the pits of hell!
You misunderstand, sackboy is the ruler of hell, only something that cute could be so evil.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
It makes sense to listen, if only for the PR from doing so.It'll pay off in the long run. But then...

Daystar Clarion said:

Wait.
But come on this is Sony we're talking about! They never make stupid decisions!

Oh...

Dec 14, 2009
Hazy992 said:
It makes sense to listen, if only for the PR from doing so.It'll pay off in the long run. But then...

Daystar Clarion said:

Wait.

Oh...
It's would be like adding bees to a room already composed largely of bees.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
To say the PS3 had a smooth life would be a bold faced lie, this generation wasn't as good to Sony as it could have been.

They seem to have become more humble and thoughtful ever since the Playstation Network Hacking Stravaganza happened. Emphasis on Seem.

Aye, they're probably waiting for MS to confirm it's stances fully to announce they'll be the "friendly" console makers this generation. But Sony has proven me wrong before...

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Hazy992 said:

Daystar Clarion said:

Wait.

Oh...
It's would be like adding bees to a room already composed largely of bees.
What's this? A corporate decision woefully underpopulated by bees?! A large influx of bees oughta put a stop to that!

[sub]Pictured: Sony PR Department after most Sony Decisions[/sub]

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Microsoft, Sony and some big developers might be holding hands behind the curtains. Nothing is really certain right now. I'm at the same time curious and kind of afraid of what will happen at this E3.

The game industry has been pushing anti-consumer shenanigans at a steady pace for some time now and we are happily taking it (Diablo 3, SIM city, Mass Effect 3, all a huge success in terms of sales despite of the harsh criticisms).

We are saying that we are not gonna buy those DRM consoles. Will they retreat or call our bluff? - and more important: are we really bluffing?

I know I'm not. I'm not going to buy a Xbone.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
They really couldn't buy that kind of publicity, could they?

They should be sending money to Micro$hit for doing all their work for them.
Sony has made lots of stupid decisions in the past. They surely have. I was there, I saw it, I have felt the pain.

Still, this is too good of an oportunity for them to miss. All they have to do is NOTHING. Nothing and then people will be jumping ship from the Xbox up, down and sideways.
M$hit were even stupid enough to not manage backwards compatibility, wich could persuade their consumers to stay, if only for their libraries...

Only an unreal amount of dumbness would make them waste this opportunity.
As it stands, next generation is Sony's game to lose.

I think the only ace in the hole for MiCRAPsoft is that they are going to sell the Xbone dirt cheap, on a contract, like a cell phone, and get sales from people that don't know better what they are getting into...

P.S.: I am spilling a lot of hate for Microsoft... I am kind of a Sony fanboy, but i try to do not let that cloud my judgement. I like Nintendos games a lot too. I just think that hating on Microsoft isn't fanboyism. It's just good sense.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Karloff said:
As for persistent online authentication, Sony's stance is still unclear. It hasn't been confirmed for the PS4 [http://www.psu.com/a019529/PS4-anti-DRM-campaigners-target-Sony-on-Twitter], neither has it been denied.
No, I'm pretty sure this always-online was explicitly denied in an interview with Game Informer.

Shuhei Yoshida said:
Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it. The main reason being that many countries don't have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet.
That's not to say there won't be any sort of DRM, but at least it's safe to say there won't be any that requires a constant internet connection.

P.S. Thanks