Xbox 360 Pro Being Eliminated Soon?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Xbox 360 Pro Being Eliminated Soon?

Photos have surfaced online of new packaging for the Xbox 360 Arcade that seem to suggest that Microsoft will be going from three Xbox 360 variants to just two - the Arcade and the Elite.

Some enterprising Gamestop employees sent pictures to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5330287/xbox-360-pro-being-phased-out-pretty-soon] earlier this week, and the results are... well, let's just say that they're interesting. In the image we see two boxes, both packaging for the Xbox 360 Arcade, and both listing the features included in the various models of 360s.

The old one (on the left) includes the lightweight Arcade and heavyweight Elite as well as the middle-ground of the Xbox 360 Pro, while the new packaging (on the right) lists only the Elite and Arcade - the Pro is nowhere to be seen. Assuming this is correct, this would mean that Microsoft plans on phasing out the Pro entirely, going with only two models.

It seems odd at first - the Pro was, for many, the "standard" 360. Why get rid of the nice middle ground between the cheap and quick Arcade and the more expensive Elite? The immediately obvious answer is that Microsoft plans on lowering the price of the 360 Elite, possibly to counteract a hypothetical price cut from Sony for the PS3 - say, one accompanying a Slim PS3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93629-British-Newspaper-Predicts-260-PS3-Slim], even.

It's worth noting that, if true, both the price cut and phasing out of the Pro were predicted by Ars Technica's "Mole" at the end of June [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/mole-exclusive-ps3-360-price-drops-coming-this-fall.ars].

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
If they are indeed lowering the Elite price, then this is a good thing.
Although I cannot understand why anyone would buy the arcade version at all.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Lower the rpice of the Elite makes sense, but it needs to be done soon or Mirco$oft will be accused of profiteering left right and center.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I would buy a new arcade version only for a new console, because if I spend anymore money fixing my old 360 elite, it would be cheaper. As a matter of fact, I think already spent $200 dollars fixing the bastard already.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
Jeronus said:
Baby Tea said:
I would buy a new arcade version only for a new console, because if I spend anymore money fixing my old 360 elite, it would be cheaper. As a matter of fact, I think already spent $200 dollars fixing the bastard already.
That's what I did when mine broke. Much cheaper overall.
=]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
HG131 said:
Baby Tea said:
Because customer service is pants-on-head retarded and it's easier to just buy a new fucking (sorry) 360.
Really? I've had mine replaced twice (First one had to pay for, 2nd time was in warranty), and both times I've had no problems with customer service. It was fast, easy, they didn't have really thick accents that were hard to understand...

But I suppose if someone had a bad experience, then getting an arcade would be a viable option. I guess I meant why by an arcade version for your first Xbox, you know? Not to replace one, but to get your first. The Arcade seems useless in that regard, but handy for the replacing demographic.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Eruanno said:
Hold on, isn't that a harddrive on the right Arcade-box?
If it is, it'll probably be smaller than what the pro console offers now.

I do agree if the elite drops in price, this won't be a bad idea.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Myrddin Emrys said:
Eruanno said:
If it is, it'll probably be smaller than what the pro console offers now.

I do agree if the elite drops in price, this won't be a bad idea.
Nawh, wouldn't that be a step back?

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Baby Tea said:
HG131 said:
Baby Tea said:
Snip
I guess I meant why by an arcade version for your first Xbox, you know? Not to replace one, but to get your first. The Arcade seems useless in that regard, but handy for the replacing demographic.
Well, to your average gamer, the Pro was the "well duh" starting point, as it came with things you know you would need, at a lower cost than getting an arcade and buying that stuff separately. I think the point of the Arcade was for new gamers, families, etc., who were meant for casual gaming, get them interested, and make it (relatively) cheap.

You don't need a hard drive if all you have is your profile and some saves.
You don't need a headset if you aren't going to do a lot of online gaming (even then, you learn quickly it isn't as useful as you thought it might be...).
You don't need a network cable if you aren't going to hook it up to the internet.
You don't need the HD a/v cable, 1. if you don't have an HD or progressive scan SD tv in the first place, 2. don't know what it is, 3. haven't gamed SD forever to know the difference, or 4. Don't know/don't care.

Also, on the replacement demographic thing, I've only turned in my 360 (the only version available when I bought it), once, for free. In the two weeks it was being shipped back and forth, I bought an arcade, popped in my hard drive to play, and returned it for full refund when my 360 came back. What? It was the two weeks between my summer job and my current job!

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Amnestic said:
NoMoreSanity said:
everyone should just get an elite.
That's what I've been saying from Day 1 \o/
Than I am humbled before your wisdom. Elite's never break down to my knowledge, and if they do it must be incredibly rare. Plus the extra storage space is REALLY nice.
Yea, but a lot of videos on youtube trick people because they will barely pull out the plug on the power supply and it gives you the same 3 red lights as hardware failure.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Eruanno said:
Myrddin Emrys said:
Eruanno said:
Nope, if you go to the link, and click the picture to see the full-size image, or click [a href="http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/08/nopro2.jpg"]here[/a], it still says 256MB in the circle.