Wendy's Kiboshes Unofficial Nine-Patty "T-Rex Burger"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

The Wendy's restaurant in Brandon, Manitoba stopped selling a nine-patty "T-Rex burger" after word of the thing got out on Reddit.

Until very recently you could walk into the local Wendy's in Brandon, Manitoba, and order a T-Rex burger, a $21.99 monster - $24.99 if you wanted the combo - that squeezed nine quarter-pound burger patties and nine slices of processed cheese between two greasy buns to create a 3000-calorie, artery-clogging, heart-stopping gastronomic nightmare with 200 grams of fat and 6000 - that's right, six thousand - milligrams of sodium.

The burger apparently had its roots in a joke ad that ran nine years ago in Sports Illustrated, but a few customers actually asked for it and the restaurant, which allows people to add extra patties to their burgers for a fee anyway, decided to go along with it. They were popular enough, reportedly selling two or three a day, that the restaurant eventually added it to the menu as the T-Rex burger.

All was well until word of the beast got out on Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/1g3m8f/so_this_is_one_of_the_burgers_at_our_local_wendys/], after which the restaurant quickly shut it down. "For obvious reasons, Wendy's of Brandon neither condones nor promotes the idea of anyone consuming a nine-patty burger in one sitting," administrative assistant Barb Barker read from a prepared statement. Wendy's "strives to deliver a positive dining experience for our customers. Our goal is to provide options to our customers so they can make options that meet their needs," she added.

It's not clear whether the restaurant decided to pull the plug on its own, or if it was directed to do so by upper management. It's a sad conclusion either way, especially since I don't see how the T-Rex burger fails to fit Wendy's goal of creating a "positive dining experience." After all, if they offered them around here, I'm positive I'd order one.

Source: CTV [http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba-wendy-s-backtracks-on-selling-giant-t-rex-burger-1.1323836#ixzz2W7TlPmST]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
That pic should seriously come with a warning on it...I'm having chest pains just LOOKING at that thing!

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
How to hell would you eat that thing-I mean too large to bite as it wouldn't fit in your mouth plus if you cut and eat section's in bite sized mouth full's it likely to collapse o_O

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
knight steel said:
How to hell would you eat that thing-I mean too large to bite as it wouldn't fit in your mouth plus if you cut and eat section's in bite sized mouth full's it likely to collapse o_O
I was wondering the same thing. The only way you could eat it would be to completely disassemble it first and make 3 three-patty burgers out of it...but then you'd need two extra sets of buns, and NOT the ones you'd develop on your own if you actually managed to eat that behemoth.

Imagine the greasy waterfall that would ooze out of that thing if you tried to compact it and squeeze it down to a more manageable size....

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
RJ 17 said:
knight steel said:
I was wondering the same thing. The only way you could eat it would be to completely disassemble it first and make 3 three-patty burgers out of it...but then you'd need two extra sets of buns, and NOT the ones you'd develop on your own if you actually managed to eat that behemoth.

Imagine the greasy waterfall that would ooze out of that thing if you tried to compact it and squeeze it down to a more manageable size....
Hmm I guess if you're really desperate you could dislocate your jaw like a snake and swallow it whole >_<

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
0_0 I remember way back in a Simpsons episode, Homer watched a commercial about some bacon burger that at the time looked like a parody of how unhealthy fast food is. Compared to stuff like KFC's double down and now this? It would probably be on the diet menu. No wonder Simpsons aren't as funny as they used to be, there's no way they can top the absurdity of what the world is actually like now.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Arslan Aladeen said:
0_0 I remember way back in a Simpsons episode, Homer watched a commercial about some bacon burger that at the time looked like a parody of how unhealthy fast food is. Compared to stuff like KFC's double down and now this? It would probably be on the diet menu. No wonder Simpsons aren't as funny as they used to be, there's no way they can top the absurdity of what the world is actually like now.
Wait...is that the one where Bart rubbed the burger on the wall and the wall became as clear as a window, in which a bird flew to it and smacked the near-invisible wall?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Our goal is to provide options to our customers so they can make options that meet their needs
What if they need a nine-burger monstrosity?

knight steel said:
I think you have to attach it to a wood-turning lathe and nibble on it like a rabbit. A rabbit that will die from clogged arteries moments later.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Well... at least you can still order it by getting extra meat paddies. Free choice and all that.

Not that I care, since this is on the menu at my favourite burger place:

Great for parties, and happily Vietnam is less fussy about making food look healthy.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
"6000 - that's right, six thousand - milligrams of sodium"

So...6 Grams?

Reminds me of when folks talk about drug possession.

"He had 1000 milligrams of cocaine!"

You mean one gram?

"Yes."

So...say 1 gram?

It's still really bad and I guess it isn't as exciting for news posts.

Edit: I see no reason that they needed to get rid of it. They could just put a warning on it :/. Maybe someone wants to get it as a joke and eat it with some friends or family?

Not all that strange.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

"For obvious reasons, Wendy's of Brandon neither condones nor promotes the idea of anyone consuming a nine-patty burger in one sitting," administrative assistant Barb Barker read from a prepared statement.
But they have a poster promoting it. Does she not understand what 'promote' means or is there some sort of catch in the 'one sitting' part of this statement? Maybe they expect people to store 8 of the patties in their cheeks for later.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
knight steel said:
RJ 17 said:
knight steel said:

Hmm I guess if you're really desperate you could dislocate your jaw like a snake and swallow it whole >_<
My best theory would be to start at the top and work your way down with a knife and fork...you'd even get a "salad" as an appetizer that way.

Edit: But good god, that cheese! You won't crap right for a week!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
reddit, why you gotta ruin everything :(

at least the legend lives on...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Hmm, maybe add some bacon and then we'll talk.

But seriously, gimme about an hour and a glass of water and I could probably eat that.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Why'd they have to shut it down? I'd never eat it, but if some damn fool wants to try it's their right (and I would pay to see someone eat it, so it's a win-win for the restaurant)...