Wendy's Kiboshes Unofficial Nine-Patty "T-Rex Burger"

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It's pretty clear that this thing isn't meant for 1 person, I wouldn't order a giant ass party pizza at my local pizza restaurant just for myself either.
The more interesting question would be how one does eat such a thing.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, the thing is that most franchises need to be uniform, they are only given so much room to vary in order to keep using the name and ordering supplies at whatever deal is being used, even when privately owned. Owners are discouraged from adding things to menus, changing recipes, and similar things, and in many cases if you do so and someone working for the company finds out, you can not only use your franchise rights but have to pay huge penelties. The big chains have guys who do nothing but drive around the country looking for trouble.

I mention this because some of the battles I've seen locally where way a Mcdonalds needs to give up it's ultramodern appearance including the glowing plastic "golden arches" on the sign, but strictly speaking you need to fly that without permission from the franchise. It eventually worked out with a green and white faux-wood sign (this one is up in Niantic if I remember) but it kind of gave some insight into how things worked when I was a bit younger.

From the perspective of the franchise, adding a new burger just for your store, would be a lot like someone altering the formula for a "Big Mac" at Mcdonalds, when the entire point is that you can order one anywhere in the country and know what your getting and what it's going to be like. While franchise owners do get a choice on specific promotions there are a lot of things they can't do.

In short, I'm not surprised it ended this way.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
How bad would it be if the cheese was replaced with lettuce?

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Deathfish15 said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
0_0 I remember way back in a Simpsons episode, Homer watched a commercial about some bacon burger that at the time looked like a parody of how unhealthy fast food is. Compared to stuff like KFC's double down and now this? It would probably be on the diet menu. No wonder Simpsons aren't as funny as they used to be, there's no way they can top the absurdity of what the world is actually like now.
Wait...is that the one where Bart rubbed the burger on the wall and the wall became as clear as a window, in which a bird flew to it and smacked the near-invisible wall?
I want to say it's the one where Homer got some audio tapes to try to hypnotize him to eat less, but instead got the one that increased his vocabulary and Bart was losing his friend Millhouse to a new girl. But I might be wrong on that one.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
If you're stupid enough to eat this type of food then the inevitable heart attack is just the Universe's way of handing out Darwin Awards.

Remove the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is like one of those ridiculous Scooby Doo sandwiches, likely to be eaten in the same fashion.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Shaggy: Zoiks! Like, get a load of that big burger, Scoob! I've got the munchies so bad!

Scooby Doo: Reah, re roo!

Next time you wanna advertise a T-rex burger, make it a fucking dinosaur. Otherwise, not interested.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
This thing may not be healthy, unless you compare it to this one thing I saw once from Pizza Hut.

It was only offered in the Middle East, but it was a giant pizza that was easily 4 feet in diameter. Instead of any old regular stuffed crust, it had 4 actual full sized cheeseburgers just plopped into the middle of it.

I think I saw it on Ripley's.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dammit, guys...

You took the one upside of living in Manitoba and got rid of it...

Why did you guys do this... ;____;

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
werewolfsfury said:
How bad would it be if the cheese was replaced with lettuce?
Still pretty bad. It would be down to 150 grams of fat (still more than double the daily recommendation) and maybe 4000 mg of sodium (almost double the daily recommendation) (all reasonable guesstimates).

Beef is fattening, there's no getting around it. You could probably cut it to 120 grams and 3500 milligrams respectively if you wiped each patty with a paper towel before eating them.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
FalloutJack said:
This is like one of those ridiculous Scooby Doo sandwiches, likely to be eaten in the same fashion.

Shaggy: Zoiks! Like, get a load of that big burger, Scoob! I've got the munchies so bad!

Scooby Doo: Reah, re roo!

Next time you wanna advertise a T-rex burger, make it a fucking dinosaur. Otherwise, not interested.
Something like this?

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Of course, they wouldn't stop you from just ordering as many hamburgers as you wanted to shove into your face, nor should they. So this probably comes down to one Wendy's generating too much noise for the chain, so they got the call from on high to cut it out.

Now at an In-n-Out Burger? They'll do 4 x 4s without blinking an eye, so I'm sure they'll stack it as high as you want.

All I really care is that you're not impairing yourself and getting on the road, and I'd rather focus on that problem than this nonsense.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I remember when my mate got a double "double quarter pounder" meal, that's 4 patties, from Mc Donalds. Suffice to say he didn't feel good afterwards, and cursed me out for giving him the idea xD

Tenmar said:
That's it? Nine patties? Pft, child's play. One of the most hilarious times during me and my brother's high school days was that our cousin and our friends one day just felt so hungry that he ordered a 5 patty hamburger and the owner had no problem.

So of course it became a challenge to see who would eat the most. And not your namby pamby Mcdonalds patties, those don't count. Real patties of meat that had to come from fast food places that gave you an actual hamburger. The challenge lasted a good couple of years and we got it up to 15 patties.

Of course rules did apply that we needed a witness and the receipt. And even then it was something for fun and certainly not done on a daily basis.

Still if a person wants to order a 9 patty hamburger, let em. They should already know the risks. But of course shame on you internet for ruining a good thing!
How the hell do you eat 15 patties o_O

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Arslan Aladeen said:
Deathfish15 said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
0_0 I remember way back in a Simpsons episode, Homer watched a commercial about some bacon burger that at the time looked like a parody of how unhealthy fast food is. Compared to stuff like KFC's double down and now this? It would probably be on the diet menu. No wonder Simpsons aren't as funny as they used to be, there's no way they can top the absurdity of what the world is actually like now.
Wait...is that the one where Bart rubbed the burger on the wall and the wall became as clear as a window, in which a bird flew to it and smacked the near-invisible wall?
I want to say it's the one where Homer got some audio tapes to try to hypnotize him to eat less, but instead got the one that increased his vocabulary and Bart was losing his friend Millhouse to a new girl. But I might be wrong on that one.
I'm gonna go ahead and say he's referring to the 'ribwich' episode. Fairly certain.

OT: That looks awesome, I know what i'm having for dinner.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
Roander said:
Andy Chalk said:
Wendy's Kiboshes Unofficial Nine-Patty "T-Rex Burger"

"For obvious reasons, Wendy's of Brandon neither condones nor promotes the idea of anyone consuming a nine-patty burger in one sitting," administrative assistant Barb Barker read from a prepared statement.
But they have a poster promoting it. Does she not understand what 'promote' means or is there some sort of catch in the 'one sitting' part of this statement? Maybe they expect people to store 8 of the patties in their cheeks for later.
I'd assume they expected people to share it. The ice cream parlors in my home town offers a sundae called "The Holy Cow." It's something like 25 scoops and is a great deal if you have a lot of people.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Therumancer said:
Well, the thing is that most franchises need to be uniform, they are only given so much room to vary in order to keep using the name and ordering supplies at whatever deal is being used, even when privately owned. Owners are discouraged from adding things to menus, changing recipes, and similar things, and in many cases if you do so and someone working for the company finds out, you can not only use your franchise rights but have to pay huge penelties. The big chains have guys who do nothing but drive around the country looking for trouble.

I mention this because some of the battles I've seen locally where way a Mcdonalds needs to give up it's ultramodern appearance including the glowing plastic "golden arches" on the sign, but strictly speaking you need to fly that without permission from the franchise. It eventually worked out with a green and white faux-wood sign (this one is up in Niantic if I remember) but it kind of gave some insight into how things worked when I was a bit younger.

From the perspective of the franchise, adding a new burger just for your store, would be a lot like someone altering the formula for a "Big Mac" at Mcdonalds, when the entire point is that you can order one anywhere in the country and know what your getting and what it's going to be like. While franchise owners do get a choice on specific promotions there are a lot of things they can't do.

In short, I'm not surprised it ended this way.
I never quite understand why that's the case. I mean sure, a Big Mac is a Big Mac across the world and you always know what you're getting, but why would it be terrible for a local branch to have free reign over 15-25% of the menu? You could still get that assurance of mediocre food wherever in the world you are but there'd also be that chance to get something new or different.