Extra Credits' Portnow Launches Games For Good Rockethub

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Extra Credits' Portnow Launches Games For Good Rockethub

It's time to change the conversation about games, says James Portnow.

"Too often do we spend our time defending games," says James Portnow [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extraconsideration/8639-Console-Gaming] of Extra Credits fame, "simply talking about 'why games aren't bad', when what we should be discussing is 'what good games can do'." With that in mind, Portnow has launched a Rockethub with the express purpose of talking to opinion makers and media outlets, starting a one-man lobbying campaign to change the tone of the conversation about games. He's looking for an initial $50,000 to get the ball rolling, with expansions to the project planned if he can raise significantly more than that. At time of writing he's already more than halfway there, with $26,480 raised and 74 days left to go. It's a solo effort right now, but if Portnow reaches his $75,000 stretch goal, a PR firm will be hired to help promote Portnow's Games for Good.

He has three main objectives. Portnow wants to start lobbying in DC to stop proposed anti-game legislation, start a 'games for good' jam to ensure that more such games are produced, and start lobbying to change the way grants for educational and science games work to make sure that games you'd actually want to play get funded. "Every year I see tens of millions of dollars wasted," says Portnow, "on games that don't engage; flash cards with 3D avatars and training simulators that are less engaging than reading the manual." But communication is at the heart of Portnow's plan; by creating a dialogue, putting up an alternative to the 'murder simulator' trope that the mainstream media still turns to, Portnow hopes to create a better world for gamers.

"I don't want my nieces and nephews to grow up and have to fight this fight," Portnow concludes. "I don't want them to have to be embarrassed about their hobby or live in a world that misses out on all the good games can do because we never really tried to change the conversation."

Source: Portnow Rockethub [http://www.rockethub.com/projects/25243].

Dec 14, 2009
Oh god, he's still got the douchey beard :D

I haven't watched EC in long time, despite visiting Penny Arcade quite frequently.

I recall them wanting to start the whole Games for Good thing, but that was ages ago. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
What he said about needing to change the conversation about is true; however, I'm not quite sure and convinced that this is the best way to go about it.

Still, he's trying to do good for this industry, so I'm not going to knock him too much for doing so.

Which reminds me, I need to get off my lazy ass and start up my own YouTube channel for this kinda thing.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
As much as I love the idea, I detest almost all forms of Lobbyism (Save individual Citizens who come with no money in their pockets, but words in their heads and on Paper). I simply cannot support this idea.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I haven't watched EC in long time, despite visiting Penny Arcade quite frequently.
Yeah, same here. I would watch it every week when it was here, and yet, despite me going to Penny Arcade regularly to watch CheckPoint and Strip Search (both highly recommended to anyone by the way!), I can't remember the last time I watched an episode of Extra Credits.

OT: It's good to see that he's trying to make a change for the better in the industry, so I won't knock him for trying. Although we all know what happened the last time he had a Rockethub =P

But anyway, I wish the man the best of luck. He's going to have a hell of a job on his hands.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
As pretentious as Extra Credits may be at some times, I'm honestly with them on this 100%. I'm glad that at least someone sensible is behind this project and not an extremist as we currently have so many. I actually agree that it's about time we stopped having to defend ourselves and instead took a stand to show that we aren't all just a bunch of 14 year old, neckbearded basement dwellers and broshooter frat-boys.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
It's good that someone is even trying this but i feel it is already an inevitable change. We have to deal with it now just like the music industry did before and the TV industry did before that. But as generation succeedes generation the problem will no longer exist really. Just as nerd culture has become the ever popular power of the time, games will reach the same level inevitably. Just have to be patient.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
cricket chirps said:
It's good that someone is even trying this but i feel it is already an inevitable change. We have to deal with it now just like the music industry did before and the TV industry did before that. But as generation succeedes generation the problem will no longer exist really. Just as nerd culture has become the ever popular power of the time, games will reach the same level inevitably. Just have to be patient.
I think you're probably right, that as the next generation takes over politics, the subject of this media being bad in any way will disappear. But it's always a good idea to take a few steps and make sure the old guard doesn't piss all over our picnic until that happens, right?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I dont think that this is how this should be done, the games should be able to defend what they are being what they are. If you make a game that is capable of being called "high art" then you simply have to show it to convince that it can be just that, the same goes for showing that they can be good.

Most people are just misinformed about the subject (they think that all games are either just like Pong or murder simulators) and if someone says that games are bad and just for kids then show him the games that prove otherwise, simple as that.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wish he was doing something good like trying to get money out of politics instead of just trying to lobby himself. We need more money in politics like we need a toothache.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
VanQ said:
As pretentious as Extra Credits may be at some times, I'm honestly with them on this 100%. I'm glad that at least someone sensible is behind this project and not an extremist as we currently have so many. I actually agree that it's about time we stopped having to defend ourselves and instead took a stand to show that we aren't all just a bunch of 14 year old, neckbearded basement dwellers and broshooter frat-boys.
I don't think "pretentious" means what you think it means. I may not always agree with everything on EC, but I've never really had the impression that they are saying stuff just to sound smart. I guess when you talk about about anything in any kind of depth you're bound to be called pretentious.

Anyway, if things don't work out for Portnoy he can always create whisper videos on youtube:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nasrin said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh god, he's still got the douchey beard :D
Maybe it's his power source?
Then Smooth McGroove must be a full blown super saiyan ;)

That's right, I am bringing this up again y-you... you BEARDIST!

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Still watch the show. Happy to see what they're doing.

OT: I'm happy to see the Escapist announcing this news, because I felt that there was still a lot of bad blood between the two.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
I'm certainly spreading this far and wide whenever I can.

By taking the initiative we're taking the reigns back, and not leaving them to misinformed folks.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Step one- get someone that does not look like a child molester to speak for you video game lobby

Step two- ????

Step three- profit!